Aussie 1090/1190/1290 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozzieadventure, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thank goodness the speed cameras take nice clear pictures...
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  2. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    BUGGER

Kiwirich
    Dukehunt likes this.
  3. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    ebay purchase showed up today. loctited the new cog on and went for a quick 45km back roads loop. very happy.
    bikemoto likes this.
  4. Onlock

Onlock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great day to test out the new to me bike. How awesome are these things!!!! 20190831_113158.jpg
  5. senoj

senoj senoj 54 but now 55

Oddometer:
    Hi. Just collected my new 1090.

I have what seems to be the usual start and stall issues on a cold morning but other than that the bike is going well. Fuel economy in the first 600klm improved from 6.7 to 4.9 litres per 100 so I'm happy as I tour a bit so this is a relevant factor for me.

I've put the Akro, bash plate and Fuel Dongles to correct the sub 5000rpm lean surge. The complete Guglatech filtration set and centre stand are on their way.

This bike is smoother and able to pull away from lower in the rev range without snatching with the dongles in place. I question though their $100 price tag......

Has anyone had any noticeable change in the cold starting issues post fitting the Guglatech filtration set. My bike runs between 54 and 60 PSI fuel pressure so the pump is more than able to supply but I question if due to small filters, flow is slower than desirable on the first start post a cold night. (long reach I know)

Cheers
  6. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @senoj I had the stall issue when I first got my 1090 but it settled down after a 1000K's or so..
    I maybe wrong but think it has to do with the ECU adapting to the atmospheric conditions.
    I never had a fuel filter issue with my 1090 in 20K and never had a problem with my 1190 in 38K.
    I only changed out the fuel filter at 30K as part of my maintenance program.
    Just my opinion but I think the Americans have a lot of fuel/filter issues due to the fact that non ethanol fuel is not readily available.
    Only time I would be worried about my fuel filter would be if I was traveling to remote areas but the precautions would be the same for any motor vehicles.
    There was some cases here in Australia with tank contamination with a white substance believed to be a release agent, I saw it in my tank but I never had a problem.
    I had a set of filters on hand in the event of a problem but never used them.
  7. AndyfromTassie

AndyfromTassie Tenere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey lads,
    Finally finished reading from page one, good to be caught up!
    Picked up a new '16 1190R back in July '18, 15k on it now and loving every second I get to spend on it; just done the basics to it, B&B bashplate, Bunnings topbox, ebay LEDs and found a second hand PP heated seat for a good price and a set of second hand PP racks and panniers for commuting and trips with the better half.
    Bit of back story, got my Ls in 2012 and bought a new 660 Tenere the following year, did 85k km on that in 4 years and managed to break just about everything on that bike, including a few bones, not due to neglect or poor quality but just my ham fistedness :lol3 still the toughest bike I've ever owned and it's still going strong in the hands of my best mate. Then in 2017 I bought a 2016 ABS AT, put 25k on that in 8 months before a bloke fell asleep while I was on my way to work and came into my lane while I was doing 80kph, ended up in the back of his tray :rofl anyway, quick trip to the hospital and a few weeks of bruises and I was fine, bike not so much. Next was the 1190... wow I mean I loved my Honda but this is something else, while there's a lot of things I don't like about it and a few things that frustrate me it is a simply sensational bike when out and about, all my problems and worries just go away when riding :lol3

Seriously excited for the next few years :freaky:beer

Anyways, this threads been a bit quiet so uhh...

I want an aggressive front tyre for mostly dirt but it also has to stick well on dry twisties when lent over and be tubeless preferably, thoughts? Going to got with an E09 rear next and thinking of getting the same for the front but not sure yet, maybe just got tubes and get an E13, looks pretty good DSC_0154.JPG .

Cheers, Andreas.
    ktmgeoff likes this.
  8. senoj

Oddometer:
    Hi Wodger.

Cheers mate for the response. Very appreciated.

I was given a dead complete fuel pump assembly out of a 1290 Adventure so I decided to build that pump up using the Gug kit and a new fuel pump from Quantum.
    The 1090 for me is about all road touring not single lane bush, I ride a 300 two stroke dirt bike and trials bike for that so I'm really focused on it not stopping thus the fuel filter interest.
    I will take your advise though and leave the standard pump alone for the immediate future as I'm interested to see how the starting pans out without the question of did something change due to changes I made.
    The biggest issue I have is my Beemer mounted mates are circling like vultures waiting for this bike to fail :hung. I like the beemers but not at 10K more.
  9. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1090 is still a bit cold blooded occasionally, more so now @ 20K than when it was new. Always starts eventually and AFR is plenty rich on cold starts.

I'f your looking for fuel economy I'd be removing the fueling dongles - can't see you'd need them if you've still got the stock air box in place. My bike runs a bit too rich without them - stock air box with uni filter kit and SuperDuke muffler.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    When I got my 1190 it would always start very promptly, sorta spin-fire-start. At some point, with no changes by me, it now goes spin-fire-die. I've learned to simply hold the starter button pressed, so it goes spin-fire-die-spin-start. Hope that makes sense! Always starts first time like this, with no nasty sounds from the starter system. If you let go of the stater button when it first fires, then it dies, the temptation is to immediately thumb the starter again while things are still moving. That causes nasty sounds. We don't like nasty sounds.

Bike's only got 22,000 kays on it.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  11. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a tubed E13 on 1290,happy with it.

20190913_220120.jpg
  12. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good clutch master cylinder they want to sell?
  13. senoj

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    Two questions if I could please:

1. Where have you mounted your Guglatech post tank fuel filter ( alloy fuel filter in the complete kit). I have mine right next to the pump just below the radiator as its in the wind for cooling versus on the frame rail as I felt it also added to much extra fuel line in that location; and
    2. Has anyone put a chain oiler on their 1090? I knocked up a trial one out of radio controlled car fuel tank with an oil deflector (Mark 1 made from road sign) to stop the lube from covering the rear header pipe. It works a treat and cost $28 in bits all up but needs more work so I'm keen to see what other people have done.

Cheers
    upload_2019-10-10_15-28-48.png
    upload_2019-10-10_15-19-19.png [​IMG] upload_2019-10-10_15-18-40.png
    1coolbanana likes this.
  14. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great setup!

Couple of questions:

1) Which Aurora light is it (flood/driving?)
    2) How is it holding up, does it compare to the Rigid 6 inch LED bar?
  15. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    1. 30w AURORA 6" LED Combo Beam Light Bar. 6 x 5w CREE LED's.
    2. Can't comment on the Rigid Light bar as never owned one but this has been on my bike since new, 30k and travelled over lots of dirt, corrugations and tar and never been an issue..
  16. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to know! I've actually ordered one last night as well.

They have a different 6 inch model available here with 9 LEDs

https://offbrandproducts.com/products/aurora-6-inch-single-row-led-light-bar?variant=17866128556147

• Size: 6 Inch
    • Beam Type: Driving Beam
    • Dimensions: 7.9" x 3.2" x 1.8"
    • # of LED's: 9
    • # of LED Rows: 1
    • LED Light Type: Cree XTE 5 Watt
    • Operating temperature: -40 to 145 degrees
    • Wattage: 45 watts
    • Operating Voltage: 10-30V DC
    • Amp Draw: 2.3 Amps
    • Lumens: 3,852 Lumens
    • IP Rating: IP69
    • Life Span: 50,000 hours
  17. john10

john10 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve
    A tidy solution.

Are you able to knock up another for a fee?
  18. john10

john10 n00b

Oddometer:
    I so need to do this. Can you share how you achieved the result. Was it a kit you purchased?
  19. senoj

Oddometer:
    I put my new luggage on a few days back after a good scrub and clean. I'm amazed at how much dirt finds it way under the seat and into the engine areas on this bike. I suppose the joys of an open frame and engine design.

I tried the hard luggage option which I prefer for travelling but it was just a bit wide so this new soft stuff is a make it work or die trying set up. Comes complete with needy dog.

I'm waiting on some firmer more wear resistant foam for the inner side bars. My 3.7 liter RotoPack bolts in neatly under the top bag where the blue foam is and some 1.5 liter fuel bottles go into the rear pockets of the side bags so I now have just over 29 liters of fuel.

Cheers

upload_2019-10-24_16-6-41.png
    upload_2019-10-24_16-7-47.png
    PaulNomad and ktmgeoff like this.
  20. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone recently seen 17/19 wheels recently come up for sale for the 1290, cast or spoke doesn't matter?
    Shroza likes this.