1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie Husky 701 owners thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jardine, Jan 29, 2016.

1. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good couple of mm end float normal
  2. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug , assuming the 690 and 701 to be the same set up as I would expect , there is a small amount of end float , I did not measure it , but it feels to be around 1- 2 mm on my 35,000 km travelled 690 .
    johnno950 likes this.
  3. DougW

DougW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Mine also has about 1mm end float.
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  4. Cyclic Hotline

Cyclic Hotline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pivot Pegz are fricken awesome. Make the bike feel much roomier and ease the strain on my ageing hips and knees!
    Cruz likes this.
  5. micksign

micksign n00b

Oddometer:
    Got myself a new sickle, after suggestions for racks/rackless luggage, screens/fairings. Want to be able to carry enough to be self sufficient for camping trips. Gotta say it's a sweet handling motorcycle, on & off road. My other bikes are a '13 450exc & '09 Monster 1100s.
    121011206_342273967110963_8403929512073327056_n.jpg 120841277_10224748024549085_7513709605588141837_n.jpg
  6. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like I said earlier, I like!!!! How is that seat? Look forward to hearing all about this bike. Its the most likely replacement for my old 640Adv.
    micksign likes this.
  7. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day Mick! How bout that - I thought I'd hop on here and share the awesome pics of your bike from the other day, and you beat me to it :) Welcome to ADVrider, and let me just say again, nice bike!
    20201011_124239.jpg 20201011_124259.jpg

Attached Files:

Kiwirich, micksign, Dee Cee and 3 others like this.
  8. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mick let me have a little brap on it. Feels much like a 690 Enduro R - but the stock seat is more comfortable, and it's ever so slightly taller. Great platform. I like the fact it has a 25 litre fuel capacity without the need to add a RADE tank and mess with the airbox etc. Fuel tanks can be changed by a hand-bar mounted switch, which means the bike has two fuel pumps. Two fuel pumps could be a good redundancy on long trips.
  9. Bluey22

Bluey22 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent bike. Fitted mine with Perun racks and Mosko Reckless 80, and just finished 5000km outback riding (NSW and SA, Australia) and camping most nights. Also a Barrett’s exhaust (weighs less and less heat)_ IMG_0069.jpg
    Was excellent off road and handled very well. Almost as though no luggage. Have also added Anti gravity Lipo battery; vanasche pegs etc. The screen helped on the long stretches of tar, but I am getting a Nomad ADV. The larger tank was brilliant between outback towns and when we wanted to go explore some of the NAtional parks. Just went, with fuel to spare. Only once came close to running out. Seat is ok, but gets tough after a few hours. The rear is better and wider padded; and I sat up on luggage every so often.

Weekend before departure was doing fairly difficult single track and rock; and on the highway was great too. Very flexible bike.
  10. micksign

micksign n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Bluey 22, are you running the Mosko bags without pannier racks (hard to tell in the pics, looks like a support down the side) and you mentioned a screen, but I can't see one in the pic? I would probably just make up a sheepskin cover or airhawk for long haul (although it's already a stretch for me height wise! at 5'8"). You'll have to post how you go with the installation & effectiveness of the Nomad ADV. I'll be considering this option too, but I'll just try a small screen first, I like the look of the Puig one.
    s-l1600.jpg
  11. micksign

micksign n00b

Oddometer:
    The seat is firm and high! haven't done any long hours on it yet, but I can't see it being Plush!
    Hey Tori, thanks, can't wait to go for a decent ride! Let me know about the rack and bash plate.
    ToriMish likes this.
  12. CC54

CC54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I can tell you the seat is pretty good. I've just completed a 7 day 2,600km trip around the SA outback on my 701LR and even 600km days didn't cause pain to the posterior! With the recent rains it was sometimes hard to tell the roads from creek beds in some parts of the Flinder Ranges but the 701LR handled it all with aplomb!
    jardine, Dee Cee, DeLewis and 4 others like this.
  13. Bluey22

Bluey22 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mick. Yes, using the Vanasche minimalist panniers. Just keeps everything stable. Also wacked on a “Screensforbikes” screen the day before I left. It was ok but the Puig looks to be a better fit. Mine was difficult due to the Flexx bars and protectors extending forward too far to allow the screen to sit on the mask flush. A few spacers worked well. Will update on Nomad fit.

Others are commenting on the seat. It’s fine, but I did notice more soreness after a week or so of daily riding. Seat concepts won’t have anything until next year they say, and there are local shops who will do. But it’s not a main priority.

Currently looking at lowering it a little for some more control. Otherwise great machine.
    Dee Cee, Kiwirich and Hoots like this.
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice set up @Bluey22

And makes you wonder why something like this not the light ADV bike 'unicorn' that everyone keeps banging on about ...

[​IMG]
  15. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it is the Unicorn ....... But many are still seduced by the "gotta have bigger" idea. Like the current crop of Mid weights.
    The 800GSA is 214 Kgs, about 20Kgs lighter than the 1200 GS. Even the new 790 is over 200 Kgs
    The 701 is nearly 90Kgs lighter than the 1200 GS
    For a Older rider .......
    You can ride anything with luggage on Sealed roads, Dirt roads, No Roads
    You can ride for days without Service ( 10K Oil change)
    It's certainly not slow ... anywhere
    Not slow in the twisties, even with Knobs on
    You can pick it up after being too enthusiastic ..
    Looks seriously cool.
    The only problem I've found is the face ache from grinning too much
    I may be a little biased ...

Kiwirich
    outbackflyer, jardine, Hoots and 8 others like this.
  16. DougW

DougW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a persistent slow drip from my 2017 countershaft seal. A new OEM seal and O ring didnt change it at all. Any ideas?
  17. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Are you sure its leaking from the Countershaft....a leak from the starter motor can mysteriously show up on the counter shaft side.!!
    Hoots likes this.
  18. DougW

DougW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks UncleGra
    I had assumed if it was from the starter motor, that oil would have pooled in the recesses atop the transmission case before running down the countershaft side. That does seem to be the case when I ran the bike on a stand for 10+minutes. Sure there was a mist of oil all around and above the countershaft, but no pooling. I now think if maybe I lilted the bike say 20 degrees to the right, and ran it again, then any leak from the starter motor would either pool or run towards the right hand side. Only 10-15 drops of oil drip below the bike when I stop, but it makes a mess and I would be concerned if there was a likelihood that it could get worse very quickly when out on a multiday trip.
  19. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    The posts on Page 137 explain what happens. ..It's all a bit weird.
    I pulled my starter out and pushed it back in and the leak stopped.
  20. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I encountered a group of about 15 very fast sports bikes on the way to Halls Gap the other day, at the Zumsteins car park. Thought I'd zip in front of them and see if they could keep up with a 690 & knobbies. Nope. Left them for dead. Of course, it's my local road so I do have the advantage, but you're absolutely right @Kiwirich, the 690/701 is not slow in the twisties, and even with knobbies it may as well be a motard. Super nice handling, plenty of torque out of tight bends, and I just love the way the front wheel lifts on power right up through the gears.

I think the 690/701 IS the unicorn. I love riding it!

20201011_155055.jpg 20201011_155110.jpg