1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie Husky 701 owners thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jardine, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Cyclic Hotline

Cyclic Hotline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same screen as Tori on the 701 and it looks da bomb. I rode it briefly a few days ago and definitely moves the airflow in the direction you need it. Fiddly as all buggery to fit and needs a bunch of extra finger joints installed and a whole bunch of new swear words.

Attached Files:

Kiwirich likes this.
  2. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I concur, it was a PITA to fit for sure. But it's just the right size screen. Takes the airflow off the body, but doesn't send it to the face and spoil the clean air. I've learned over time that shorter screens work better.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  3. DougW

DougW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will try the starter motor fix. When you said you "pulled the starter out and pushed it back in" - what exactly did you do? For example did you have to remove the exhaust to get enough access? I can loosen the two starter bolts and then "rotate" the starter back and forth about 5 degrees each way, but there seems to be no "in and out" until I remove the 2 bolts completely (and then Im wondering how hard they are to reinstall without good access).
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Boxa and wass like this.
  5. Marma

Marma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doug, yes you need to remove the two bolts completely and the starter motor will move slightly, you should be able to pull it out and push it back in. But if you really want to see what's going on then removing the exhaust header is super easy and will provide the access you need. If you want to take out the starter motor, you will need to undo the EFI/carby bolts (don't remove it) as it just needs to go up a little to get the starter motor out. There are some other little obstructions (cables etc) but easy enough to work out.
  6. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    As Marma said, I just took the 2 mounting bolts out hoping that the starter would come out. It only came loose a little bit. I looked over the other side of the starter motor and I thought it looked like a big jobto remove all the stuff. So I just wiggled the starter back in place and secured the 2 bolts. Seems that the o ring seated itself and the leak stopped, so I decided leave it at that and see what happens...all good , no more leak.
    Hoots and Kiwirich like this.
  7. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    My starter got worse unbolting and wiggling. The O ring was replaced subsequently under warranty . Good as new.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  8. dirtdevo

dirtdevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fml 20201018_103845.jpg
  9. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had one of my clutch bolts backing itself out and chewing into the clutch cover. Thankfully still covered under warranty but not a good look
  10. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    I ordered and paid for one of these Puig screens , then 2 weeks later received an email notification that they’re no longer trading and they actioned a full refund into my PayPal account.
  11. DougW

DougW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Marma
    I removed the header and pulled the starter motor out just enough to clear, cleaned as best I could and then replaced and wriggled it around. While the oil leak was reduced, unfortunately it did not fix it completely. So now I will see if I can change the O ring. Which side of the bike does the starter motor come out of? When you said undo the EFI/Carby bolts, Im assuming you are referring to the two clamps. Do you rotate te EFI or do you actually have to push it upwards? And any other helpful hints would be very much appreciated.
  12. Marma

Marma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah my o-ring looked ok, but didn't want to redo the install for a $1 o-ring. So once you've removed the exhaust and undo the starter motor, you should be able to twist it out towards the rear of the bike below the EFI (yes loosened the EFI and wires just allow the starter motor to be pushed up against it). But you could keep the starter motor in the bike, and just rotate it so you can remove and replace the o-ring. I removed the starter motor completely only because I wanted to clean the area, but you really don't have to take it all the way out.