1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie Husky 701 owners thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jardine, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had thought that one of the benefits of the 701 over the 690 was that they had got the suspension sorted

Was the conversion to RB and Comp on both legs a costly exercise?
  2. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    The forks were shite

Nah not realy costly, they are open chamber too now.
    Hoots likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The major "changes" that were made to the 701 to transform it from the 690, had to do with some Changes to steering head and fork Crown geometry.

As far as "suspension" goes... the 701 got the same 4CS series WP forks that the other orange sibblings were fitted with, and these have recieved very "mixed" (read: poor) reviews from a lot of people in the game.

seem's like "open chamber" surgery is the accepted fix for them.
    Hoots likes this.
  4. therak

therak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Darren and Kiwi, how much ballpark did the fork conversion cost? Never really messed with suspension beyond the basics. Also I'm in for the Feb rally, so keen!
  5. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    Done the 10k service, all clearances within spec, a reminder if you’re running the Radegarage system , do put some adhesive foam along the supplied rear mounting bracket and also along the front white frame cross tube where tank seats, also remove or rotate any zip tie ends that might eat a hole through your six fuel tank. 0667DF59-7C07-4B41-A656-3B90DF7747D1.jpeg EB798EE4-0F5F-451B-8B5A-F45D61B05E11.jpeg
  6. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    13mm corrugated split tubing protects the fuel line from auxiliary tank to inline filter . B556B53E-5A12-4089-A19D-9848DD35C748.jpeg
    Dukehunt likes this.
  7. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    The auxiliary fuel line passing below the inner spark plug connector to the filter and petcock.

Attached Files:

8. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    By fabricating a simple alloy plate to secure the lower door section, the two vulnerable and unnecessary attachment lugs can be removed . B9CA7610-D8CE-48C2-8969-F73C144EB90A.jpeg 56867CA8-B343-4C9E-B532-94FC07DF1474.jpeg
    dunc likes this.
  9. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    I re drilled the two “R” clip holes lower/flush with the door lid to make the whole assembly more secure. 936BCD25-5D5D-46D3-BACF-30E60C95FC66.jpeg
    chasejj likes this.
  10. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    Best advantage in retaining the Original velocity stack is the correct fitting position is guaranteed, unlike the first model which (could be) clamped incorrectly onto the intake manifold , don’t stress about the modest size of the twinair filter, it is designed to (filter and supply) more than max required volume/ velocity for the 701 at full tilt in dust. Rade did his homework and pre tested the design in South Africa ( bull dust there too.)
    DeLewis and Dick0 like this.
  11. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    D0B9F1BF-6CFF-4567-BEAB-4C64A58AD5AE.jpeg 720BCFB6-05C5-470D-A079-E77CA5506133.jpeg A quick getaway to Roma gorge in the western Mac donnell ranges.
    Sauer 1979, poppy, Kiwirich and 3 others like this.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    I’ve not modified mine, but I found by winding off the compression (anticlockwise),out to 22 clicks,and leave the rebound around 12 clicks it handles the corrigations and heavy hits quite well, many owners are reporting that they dislike the front suspension, I’m happy with mine.
    Hoots likes this.
  14. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Quite different Tyres on those two bikes.
  16. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear it working ok then. I was thinking about getting just the airbox off him, as recently upgraded my storage compartment from Tupperware ver 1 to cut down old 690 airbox ver 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    I have a set of haan wheels which are fitted with Dunlop 908/906, but for this trip consisting 280 kms road and just 20 kms creek bed, I ran the hedenau tyres on the standard wheel set,which are great on hard dirt/ highway but bad for sand/ mud or loose rock.
  18. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    That’s a great looking setup, do you intend to fit a steering damper?, with 40 plus kilos over the front end it would help maintain control in soft conditions and higher speeds .
    Dick0 and Kiwirich like this.
  19. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ta, not pretty but practical. Was nearly going to get a rade tank and use as a water tank for desert trips but went this way. Can stuff some water bladders in if needed for desert trips or just for general storage for light gear not used too often for other rides.

Haven't bothered with a Damper for a couple of reasons, I don't like lifting the bars and haven't had a need for it. (Well it hasn't scared the beejesus out of me yet in 20 odd thousand km so in no hurry to spend the money). Handles sweet. Suspension is pretty sorted.
    outbackflyer likes this.
  20. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    Hey mate
    Im probably missing something looking at it on my phone but what are the two aluminum things on the frame rails on each side
    Dick0 likes this.