Aussie Husky 701 owners thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jardine, Jan 29, 2016.

1. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    S/S floating tank mounts, for expansion and contraction.
    Dick0 likes this.
  2. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate
    Very slick.
    Dick0 likes this.
  3. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They'd be the rear tank mounts. Slides on the shaft, lets the tank expand and contract. Similar to the lower front ones.

[​IMG]
    Kiwirich, a2zworks and darren70 like this.
  4. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
  5. Marma

Marma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    outbackflyer likes this.
  6. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to catching up there. Forgive me but I’m loading 2 x 701,s on my old Toyota for the trip to Merrijig, ( I’m not keen on 4000 kms return in February heat)
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hopefully for you guys the high country won't be too hot either, but don't count on it, it gets pretty warm up there that time of year..
    outbackflyer and a2zworks like this.
  8. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were just there doing the promo for the ride, same time as the ride next year and thought the timing, weather wise, would be about right. We will be hauling bikes from Brisbane.
  9. Marma

Marma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to organise a truck with Michael at Oliver's Motorcycles to provide the transport from here in Brisbane. If you think you'll be interested let me know and I'll pass onto to Michael.
  10. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have been thinking about it. It's a fair old ride from Nth Qld and being cyclone season up here in Jan/Feb/March I tend not to go too far away in that period so can duck home and put the house & yard back together.
  11. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
    Swapping wheel sets and servicing before our upcoming 3 day ride, weather getting into the mid 30’s so it’s time to camp!

Attached Files:

Dukehunt, Dick0 and Kiwirich like this.
  12. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Slicks off and trail wheels back on the 701

Trying to work out a way thru Lake Albacutya then into the sand through Rainbow and into Big Desert for a great days loop
    05BB3209-C380-4287-99DD-5564C4AD2EEA.jpeg E5E5A0C4-AB32-456A-9E30-10928C426612.jpeg C8FA16F6-8588-4DC9-829B-0602B4E0C17D.jpeg
  13. outbackflyer

outbackflyer Of.

Oddometer:
  14. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    It's a really beautiful area with lots of interesting history. ,BluetongueJak grew up there and his father has been in the area all his life at Hopetoun and opened up a lot of the tracks thru each of those deserts as young man so is a great sorce of info and history. We get up there 3-4 times a year for a ride around. He was saying there is a plan to redistribute the water back into Albacutya instead of Hindmarsh when the conditions are right and if it ever rains again! Great you have seen it full it would have been really special.
    DeLewis and Dukehunt like this.
  15. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Plus one on the niceties out there...A good ride following along Yariambiak Ck. too.
    I'm going back for another look at the other lakes soon before it gets too hot.
    DSCN1181.JPG DSCN1183.JPG

A dry Lake Albacutya.
    DSCN1184_Moment.jpg
    PYG RYDR, BygDaddee, Dukehunt and 3 others like this.
  16. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Where did you start on Yariambiak Ck Gra? I was thinking of riding it on the MTB from Beulah to Hopetoun but had the wrong tyres that wouldn't cope with the burrs and thorns
  17. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Started on Mayberry Rd, near Sheep Hills Kellalac Rd...turned right into Robinson Ln and followed the west side of the creek..then cross over at Warraknabeal then back over again and continue to Lah W. Rd. About 33kms.

edit..was all dry tracks...probly boggy if wet.
  18. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    I reckon it could be possible to follow Outlet Creek from the south end of Lake Albacutya down to the north end of Lake Hindmarsh where Outlet Creek passes under Nhill - Rainbow Rd.

Here's a couple of Google earth pics.
    outlet.jpg outlet1.jpg
  19. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    We approached Lake Albacutya from the north end via Goslings rd.
    Had to go through some freehold cropped land (track is public) and a set of gates to get into the lake.
    (After trying to go off-piste, but creek was fenced-off - Jards first photo)
    Followed the east side lake track and then crossed the lake to Western beach.

The track in the creek (your second image) is quite whooped and sandy in places - perfect on the smaller bikes.
    When we camp at Outlet creek camp, we always have a race along the creek to Albacutya and back.(just gotta remember there’s a couple of fences across the track you have to go around)
    The actual Outlet creek track runs parallel to the creek and is ok for bigger bikes - does have some sandy spots though closer to Lake Hindmarsh.

We jumped on OCT from Bullock bottom rd.,(easier than trying to navigate around Ross Lake) followed it to Kruger rd. and then went into Rainbow for lunch.

After lunch we hit Netting fence track (was going to take Chinamans well track, but I missed the turn) and took it through to Murrayville Nhill rd.
    We took a newly graded side track for a few kms which was crazy soft and loose (fun!) before jumping back on the MN rd. up to Big Billy bore to visit a fellow inmate.

From there we back-tracked to Milmed rock track through to Pella track - Milmed track is a very soft sand and can be badly dug-up by 4x4’s - not for the faint-hearted.
    We were a bit ambitious hitting Milmed about 5pm - only just made it out of the desert before dark (Jards last photo) and we weren’t messing about. (Took about 80minutes for the approx 80kms)
  20. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    That's a helluva loop. :gergBan 4bys I say. I've mapped out the bit between both lakes on the western side of Outlet Ck, starting near Albacutya station, I'll stay out of the creek bed though, then down Lake Rd on the east side of L. Hindmarsh, been down that way before.
    If any of it is softer than the disused Dattuck rail track, I'll turn around and go home..