Aussie Off Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    In what way?
  2. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  4. Rocking Horse

Rocking Horse Self funded bludger

Oddometer:
    59DEN likes this.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The requirement to do the same thing time after time...

Try ISO/IEC 17025 for size.
    Richarde1605 and ferals5 like this.
  6. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Suppose that was a bit unfair. There's no chance a snow man would ever lie to you:D
  7. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Open a new web page, google up lingerie sites, browse through 3 or 4 for just a minute or so.

Then jump back to ADV, and have semi-naked girls top, bottom and on the right.

Helps pass the time while waiting for someone to post something interesting....

I may have been drinking.
    mytmav, ferals5 and BygDaddee like this.
  8. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just install an ad blocker for your browser -- no ads :dunno
    59DEN and Woody2627 like this.
  9. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    ]
    or use Opera which has one built in.
    Russ and Wodger63 like this.
  10. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
  11. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    this makes a bit more sense as a rule
    NSW

A rule that required drivers to slow down to 40km/h while passing emergency vehicles with flashing lights will be abandoned after a 12-month trial.

Under the old law, motorists were required to slow down to 40 km/h when they saw flashing emergency lights, which some motorists complained was hazardous on high speed roads.

Under the new rules, motorists driving on roads with speed limit of 90km/h or more will be required to slow to a "safe and reasonable for the circumstances".

The changes are expected to stop drivers from engaging in "hard braking" when they encounter emergency vehicles on highways and freeways.

On roads with a speed limit of 80km/h or less motorists are still required to slow to 40km/h when they see stopped emergency vehicles with flashing lights.

The changes come into effect on Thursday September 26 2019.

Drivers are also required to give adequate space to emergency vehicles and are expected to change lanes away form stopped emergency vehicles, if it's safe to do so.
  12. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    While these changes are much better, unfortunately it still won't stop the dickheads who refuse to slow or move over approaching broken down vehicles, even during the trial 80% of the drivers went screaming past me after I slowed to 40kph, soon as I see the flashing lights I back off and slow gradually, most around me don't until the last minute:fpalm

Can't put brains in statues.
    Warin likes this.
  13. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    and it also has a free pseudo VPN built in too.
  14. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried that and got tampon ads
    Sfcootz likes this.
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    its also now includes towies and mugs like me doing breakdown duties under orange lights.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  16. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    didnt read or see that bit @ferals5

need a bit more advertising to the masses to get them to understand about it

yeh im daydreaming i know
  17. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    I’ll find the media release

edit:
    Capture.PNG
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem with this on the M1 motorway is at times they have two vans, signs and witches hats out for a vehicle break down waaay off the road, in some instances like this morning they have a van partially hanging out in the left hand lane for a car being loaded onto a flatbed tow truck that was almost 4 metres off the road. They have the early morning peak hour traffic lit up like a christmas tree for a car break down that should have no impact on the traffic whatsoever.
    Add that to this 40kmh rule and the pissing down rain and you're likely to cause a fatality where there should not even be a car slowing. Let alone trying to change lanes and slow down from 110kmh.

Heavy braking in the outside lane with no thought at 110-120kmph for a vehicle that's 99% of the time in no way needing flashing lights or traffic to slow is absurd. Yes you need to back off and be prepared to merge or let others merge but slowing to 40 3-4km's from the actual incident?
    The scenario now is, a vehicle breaks down, they send a huge van with flashing lights to park behind it(off to the far left normally) and peak hour traffic slows to 40, hopefully without a nose to tail incident. That then causes a snake of traffic that can go back 10-20kms for hours. For what reason?
    Nowhere else in the world do they coddle people the way we do in NSW. The driver is in no danger and neither is the NRMA when he turns up unless someone goes careering off the bloody road.... That you increase the risk of when you want people to go from 110 to 40.
    I challenge anyone to pull up the statistics on accidents on the M1 motorway where a vehicle that was off to the shoulder was hit by another vehicle who didn't slow down. I'd say perhaps 3 in 20 years at best.

It makes about as much sense to be slowing down to 40 on a freeway as it does to introduce a law to indicate off a roundabout... a law 99% of people misinterpret and fuck up as well.
    The same people crying for this slow down business on the freeway are likely the same people doing 10-15 under the speed limit in the outside lane and refuse to keep left unless overtaking or wont use the far left lane because they think it's a truck lane!

Not targeted at you Redback, just having a whinge about the ridiculousness of the situation.(as an everyday commuter on the M1)
  20. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    I take no offence to anyone having a say about anything, all good.

I travel 40ks to work every day on the freeway and major roads, yesterday and today was mind boggling watching the stupid things people do when it's raining, I often wonder if they even realise what they are doing.

One of those incidents had 2 people killed, I don't think the wife of the towie or the Father of Sarah the young 23yr old(who lobbied for this law) would agree, in fact Sarah rang her father and was scared because drivers were not slowing down or moving over, she was killed only minutes after hanging up.

Thankfully slowing to 40kph on the freeway is no longer a thing, which was a stupid thing and now is just slowing to what you deem as a safe speed to pass the scene.

People need to look ahead when they are driving around and slow down when they see flashing lights and if they can move over, one day it may save your life or a friends.

I've been one of those that has changed a flat on the M1, it is scary, especially when a truck go past at 100kph, at one stage I thought the car was going to get blown off the jack, I keep one eye on what I'm doing and the other on the traffic.
    ktmgeoff, LivingdeadCamo and ferals5 like this.