Aussie Off Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    I'll limit my comments on Barnett's... but if I see one of their trucks I give it a wide berth. They have history after Sarah & Geoff and have learnt nothing.
    Redback and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  2. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I concur.
    I'll limit my comments on the entire incident other than to say slowing people down would not have prevented that incident.
    Redback likes this.
  3. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    Too many distractions these days, combine that with speed on a motorway, well we all know what the consequences are.

"Get ya hand off it"
  4. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over here in Adelaide we didn't get to hear of that accident so I did some research.

I agree with previous posts about limiting my comments other than to say what happened after sentencing was poor form.

I will leave it at that.
    ferals5 likes this.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    If you have a flat tyre on Roseville Bridge in Sydney .. the cops will move you off the bridge .. people have been killed trying to change a tyre on it.. The price of a tyre and wheel is not worth your life.

In other words .. if at all possible .. if you 'breakdown' chose your spot to stop well out of the traffic. Everyone will thank you for it.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  6. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    The engineer that designed that bit of road should of been in the dock with the truck driver. To have add a "slow vehicle lane" at the expense of cutting the breakdown lane to 2 metres wide is at best negligence. I drove past that young girl about an hour before I heard on the news as I neared home about an accident near Mittagong & felt I knew exactly where the news was about. The fact the 3rd lanes in both directions have been barricaded off or painted out to restore the breakdown lane to a safe width speaks volumes to me of the RTA's neglience in design. Why would it of been so hard to keep the breakdown area the same width as the rest of the highway?? They were building a complete new road at the time. A extra metre in width by about 1.5km long was going to break the bank???; On a stretch of 4 lane approx 40km long??
  7. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I commuted between Syd and Canberra over many years. That section is really FW city. Every bastard is in a hurry...right up your arse.

No lane discipline, at all.
  8. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
  9. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Dont get me started on that one. I'm one of the one's up someone's arse. Normally that someone is sitting in the Right hand lane doing about 97kmh 500m after they spent 4 km going past someone doing 96.5km. It's not too bad once you get south of the Canberra turn off for some reason:hide
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  10. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Yes, isn't it....perhaps they all go to Canberra...:lol3
  11. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    Who'da thunk it
  12. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
  13. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting harder and harder and harder to do this when you ride a bike or drive a car sized car given the plethora of oversized dual cab utes out there that you can't even stick a pallet in the back of.
  14. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0! around schools dropping off ^^^

:imaposer
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    I'd hate to have a sports car, need a periscope and a 4WD flag.
  16. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you think it's bad in Oz, don't drive in the USA. I took these a couple of weeks ago on I-10, Texas, which has an 80 mph speed limit in parts. I usually sat 5 mph above whatever the speed limit was and always had someone pushing me; tailgating is a fact of life over there.
    One good thing is that there are signs in every state asking drivers to slow down and/or change lanes when there are vehicles with flashing lights parked off the road. Speed limits are merely a suggestion and the popo aren't interested unless you are being stupid, unlike the revenue raisers in this country.
    P1000867.JPG
    P1000868.JPG
    I did meet some interesting people though. This bloke was in a truck stop in Arkansas.
    P1000764.JPG
  17. gsd4me

Oddometer:
    That's what my travelling companion was like the whole three weeks. It got very tiring after awhile.
  18. gsd4me

Oddometer:
    I think the NSW HWP had a hand in bringing about these changes, as from what I heard they were very much against the 40 km/h law when it was passed as they realised how potentially dangerous it was.
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  19. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    One of them was nearly killed near MAcksville when a YL did a panic stop & cleaned up his M/C & him
  20. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Yer. That sucked big time.