Aussie Off Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Mar 19, 2010.

1. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    yeah, don't build a driveway there ... :hide
    PilbaraGoat likes this.
  2. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:
    A heavily loaded truck is more reliable than a water diviner for finding (shallow) sub surface water.
    chicky, lurkin, Wodger63 and 5 others like this.
  3. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not wrong

council wont let me move the driveway (yet) so this is all ive got

annoyingly it is taking a whole bunch of big rocks i had set aside for landscaping to bridge it - i dont even want a road there, it will end up as a little used twin track back gate in the future, maybe i could dig the rocks back up later

View attachment 2544623

My beautiful treasure :(
  4. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
    Ouch!!
    Councils eh!
    Sooo ... just moving the driveway to where you need it anyway, and apologizing later ... could work out cheaper including the fine? Just a thought :baldy

That would be in keeping with good old convict spirit :lol2
  5. PilbaraGoat

Oddometer:
    ive done quite a lot of apologising already hahah.

To put the road in the best spot i need to bridge a creek where i want my driveway. 14m wide, 7m deep. Power lines directly overhead etc, steep approach. And i want to dam the creek at the bridge - it will take years to get permission

Attached Files:

6. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
    WHOA!!! noiiiice!!
    At least you're not doing things by half ... :lol3

I've heard rumours of the existence of town planners, who manage to sway councils to even permit cults to build their ranches against the expressed wishes and notions of immediate neighbouring community.
    A cleverly placed sympathetic planner could reduce your waiting time to months ...
    PilbaraGoat likes this.
  7. PilbaraGoat

Oddometer:

Yeah, i live in bendigo. We have too many cults building palaces to their chief wizards thanks to our town planners.
    I do have a cousin or two who could probably help......nah, id rather do it my way
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    What is annoying is all the bloody gates that have sprung up in the last 10 years or so around Hydro infrastructure, blocking off nice rides. Not sure what the point is anyway, if someone wants to climb onto a canal wall and jump in, or electrocute themselves, they will. If someone has intent to damage infrastructure, they will. I can't see a boom gate stops anyone but the lazy/honest type. Pic of pipe from Parangana dam to Lemonthyme PS and judging by the tyre tracks in the area I'm not the only one to find a way past gates. :D
    DSC_0003.JPG
  9. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You oughta try working in a PS Geoffrey, the paperwork has quadrupled just in the last 12 months. Authority to Mobilise. Asset access authority. Permit Authority. COVID authority. On top of that is the usual JHA, licenses, induction and PL/WC. After all that I am no longer allowed to be on station without a rep. present, asset protection and security apparently. Although I do have keys and codes to a lot of those gates you are talking about mate. I reckon if they ever build another scheme it’ll be behind a chain link fence, including any resultant lakes, pondage or river. Don’t let the hydro see that pic mate, they’ll put a bloody gate at Maydena again. Adamsfield still open? Crotty?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used to be able to get through and around gates in the Upper Yarra / Shannesy area and ride along the aquaducts, was some great trails. My brother tried to accidentally (long story) jump an aquaduct on his 200exc, ended up getting washed a 100m downstream, funny at the time.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Australian Communications And Media Authority regulates “communications and media” and has a spam reporting email address, www.spam.acma.gov.au.

I’ve been getting up to four per day spam sms for at least the past 12 months and each time I forwarded the massage to the ACMA and each time I get a prompt acknowledgement with a message, “Thanks for your Spam SMS report. The ACMA will only contact you if more info is required.” Clearly an automatic “out of office” type response.

Does anyone here know what action if any this outfit takes to try to reduce spam sms?
  12. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20190327_113027.jpg 20190327_112555.jpg 20190327_112422.jpg

Re Tas hydro stations, on the ktm rally last year we stopped and had a squiz at Waddamana in the central highlands. Decommissioned years ago I guess due to being inefficient, or the cost of upgrading vs building elsewhere not viable.
    Amazing the architecture that went into it, the bosses and receptionist areas as well as reception foyer had beautiful timber surfaces.
    The pipes from the upper pondage came down the hill from behind my right shoulder in the first pic, under the floor and up to spin the turbines/generators. I bet the entire building wouldve been humming at full output.
    Worth a visit, but I guess there's similar stories out there.
  13. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    My place has been on that site. Just waiting for it to happen again shortly.
    He/She never bothered me when riding in the paddocks, but does take a keen interest in the road cyclists. Named him/her Darth Vader. Comes to the house each day for a drink from the bird baths.
  14. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because JoMomma is for everyone and we do have have a good Aussie contingent there, you included. I realize it's US centric but i dont think we want JM type content above the line. We are pretty lax about non moto content here that I'd punt in any other subforum.

My two cents.

@nevgriff64 and @Russ Hi from Oregon! You should see the roads up here.
    Russ and nevgriff64 like this.
  15. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Hi Cootzie. :raabia

I'd love to be anywhere riding right now - hopefully one day you can show us some of those Oregon Roads in person. :-)
    Dukehunt and Sfcootz like this.
  16. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Same here.
    I've tried to call back but number is disconnected so I send a text saying number has been sent to NSW police.
    Had a spirt in a 2 week period then stopped.
  17. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Feed them and they will never worry you Rod. Have a family visiting the back deck for about 20 years, with all their young each year. Never worried any of us at all but aren't so kind to the passers by sometimes. If you feed them just make sure it is something that they should be eating. Google will tell you.
  19. ktmgeoff

Oddometer:
    Went through lake Margaret PS @ Queenstown, bloody hell, the noise nearly made my ears bleed, and all the while old mate was giving us a running commentary..:lol3
  20. ktmgeoff

Oddometer:
    Neighbour used to drive dozers, one time at a Boral quarry he backed over an edge about a metre high and put his D9 on it's side,(no damage) only to pride. Reckoned for days afterwards every time he turned his head someone was coming towards him with a clipboard and paper. Yeh Adamsfield was ok, just get a key off Parks, though not sure what the deal is since all the fires down that area ,as far as I know Mt McCall track is still a goer too, just have a clean bike and get a key.