Aussie Off Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
    Is there any silver left on that trophy or did the previous recipient rub it all off?
  2. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:

Na mate this is the gold award.
  3. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    firstly Ned - your aggressive and sarcastic tone is really not necessary. If you drive the way you discuss things then you are a perfect example of a dangerous and inconsiderate driver whether you are in a truck or a car or on a bike. No patience, no respect and no idea.

Just to clear a couple of things up - my child doesn't have a fat arse - I do.
    My child never gets driven to school - she rides her bike.
    I love it when school holidays arrive because so much traffic disappears.
    You assume I'm blaming trucks for the chaos - no I am suggesting that alot of the chaos will disappear if we redirect traffic flows - the quicker cars can get off the roads (because it takes them less time to get to work as the 68 tonne 26 metre B doubles are not around) the safer the roads will be for bikes and the more space and the clearer the roads will be for the trucks.

You are right about one major thing - trucks do scare me - and your proof about why.

Lee
  4. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    No probs Knackers - the thing is - the idea of removing trucks from freeways at peak hour has merit. As does dedicating a lane to bikes only. As does charging single occupancy vehicles more tolls, as does the user pays system they have in London where vehicles that enter the city centre are charged a levy.
    What doesn't have merit is dismissing the idea completley out of hand because it doesn't have all the answers.

I understand and appreciate the extremely important contribution that trucks make to our society - we'd be stuffed without them. But why not consider some ideas - what if trucks had priority or sole use of the left lane or the right lane of every freeway - would they stay in that lane? Would that make it safer for other road users and would it reduce travel times for other vehicles?

Here's an idea - what if trucks had sole use of the majority of lanes on every freeway between the hours of 11pm and 6am weekdays - would that help ease congestion and speed up travel times?
  5. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
    The reduction in traffic congestion during school holidays can also be attributed to the normal commuting, working parent also taking annual leave at the same time to enjoy some family holiday time. Wednesday's are the worst - when all the pensioners are mixed in with the regular commuters ("It's called an accelerator pedal, you silly git. Stand on it and get the hell off my road." Yes, as a matter of fact I do use my horn. Why do you ask?). Car drivers are vacant eyed oxygen thieves, mostly.
  6. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes hadn't thought about the leave issue - I always attributed it to not taking the kids to school. The other biggy is University - their holidays dont always coincide with school breaks so you still get large numbers of people joining the commuter trip in march.

Just coming back to a point knackers said - I have seen trucks do stupid things - I've witnessed a truckdriver chase a bike down the freeway - hitting speeds of 130km's hour before pulling infront of the bike and hitting the breaks - for absolutly no other reason than the bike overtook him earlier on. I've also seen truck drivers move over to the left of the lane so the bikes can lane split easier - its all a matter of personalities.
  7. Racketeer

Racketeer Must escape......

Oddometer:
    Melbourne near the sshitty...I mean the City!!
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by SYDADVGS
    We hate you tooooo:wave
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Greaser!!!! What do you want??????????:huh
  8. cascade63

cascade63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And you wouldn't bitch about paying higher prices in the shops for delivered goods to pay for shift penalties etc either I'm sure :wink:

First solution to the is problem is to educate ALL drivers about curteous road use and ban friggin' mobile phones in vehicles all together. More I get around the more I see driving a vehicle responsibly comes a distant third behind getting the bluetooth hooked up, answering the phone and reading the paper.....
  9. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
  10. trussell

trussell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wtf, i thought it was sposed to be off topic, i found two specific topics in six pages, needs to be more dribble.
  11. Dee-4

Dee-4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Lee for that expert analysis of my charactor deficencies, you have shown me the value of further education to improve my understanding of "How life works".

Seeing as you appear to be a touch sensitive, I will try to break this to you gently.

1.Motorcyclists, unfortunatly, are not the most important consideration when designing mass transit systems.

2.Motorcycling has been+ always will be a risky thing, that appeals to me.

3.I know a lot more about you, courtesy of your high profile on this forum,than you know about me.Am I not in a more imformed position to make observations about you than you are to pass judgement on me?

4.No pet, you are NOT the messiah.

Just wondering, how much driving do you do, you do have a car dont you?
    Im tipping ive done more miles in reverse than youve driven forward.

Cheers

Ned
  12. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    :lurk :lurk
  13. HumanOne

HumanOne shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer:
    occassionally Adelaide, South Australia :-)
    G'Day Nevmeister!

I like your (and others) thinking on this one. It is a little bit frustrating when you're reading a thread about one topic and it goes completely sideways for a while when individuals use that thread to 'catchup' and 'chew the fat' about 'what's been happening lately' midway through your reading or even continue on chatting about some other ??? topic from the previous thread they've just returned from Hijacking doing the same.

We don't want ADVrider to be too formal, clinical or overly serious at the same time but I think this little idea will certainly help tidy the rest of the threads up a bit.

I have to admit, when I first found this site back in 2005 it seemed lot more together at the time and with not as many 'naughty little school children' continually 'digging' at each other. There was always a little bit of that. And there always will be. But it seems your job as moderator is a big one, having to continually smack the back of the children's hands more and more these days.

ADVrider had a better sense of 'community' back in 05/06 and as a result I personally made a lot of great friends when I rode around in 06/07. I think it's great to see so many have stuck with the site and also that those who are more into 'Day Riding' have found a home-base for themselves on the "DBW - Dirt Bike World Forum".

Keep up the good work Nev!

:clap
  14. GTboy

GTboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in complete agreement with Ned on this one - WTF do kids have to be routinely driven to and from school these days?

I discussed this with some of my workmates and they all agree that their kids don't get their precious little shoes dirty whilst they themselves had to schlep it to school via shank's pony or deadly-treadly (as I did as well).

No wonder obesity is on the rise...

The irony of that statement seems lost on the great unwashed.

The issue of congestion (seemingly) cause by trucks on roads isn't about the vehicle, it's about the lousy conditions they are forced to travel in, e.g. poorly-designed road network and vastly under-skilled and inconsiderate and ignorant fellow road users...

I'm gonna have to pull you up a bit on that one.

I am a single-occupant vehicle driver. Not because I choose to be, but because I'm forced to be. As a telecommunications field tech, I have no choice but to travel to and from work in a vehicle (provided by my employer) by myself.
    It's too easy to assume single-occupant vehicles are that way by individual choice.

You've only to look the number of vehicles traveling (i.e. next to none) at peak-hour in ill-conceived schemes like 'transit lanes' to see the impracticalities inherent in attempting to fill your car with your workmates...

Me too.

GTboy
  15. Canuck in Oz

Canuck in Oz you still here

Oddometer:
    In Germany and other EU countries no truck are allowed on the roads on weekends. Sat 'n Sun are only for tourists, families, etc..
  16. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    shit, is this thread still going :baldy

fwiw i'd make all freeways free for all heavy vehicles (hv) and try to encourage them off suburban streets that are typically not designed for hv.

you'll complain louder when the d doubles use your street as a short cut, when the sheer mass of them tears up your roads and the councils/rta find all sorts of excuses not to patch said roads.

however while we are at such wholesale changes i'd ban pushbikes off anything that isn't a dedicated bike path or foot path (no-one else seems to use footpaths these days...)

imho pushbikes cause far more congestion and frustration than solve any other problems.

dunno bout vic but in nsw motorbikes are welome to share the bus lanes with taxis' buses and hire cars - only problem with that is you get to share then with perhaps two of the most endangering forms of transport for bike riders ever invented :thumb

and lee, get youself a ride in a nice big hv one day and get a perspective of what the truck driver needs to deal with - it'll change your thinking just a tad... :evil

i don't think trucks cause congestion per se.

like buses they are fairly efficient forms of tranpsort for moving bulk goods/people, it is the lowly cars that are inefficient cause they are usually used to move (give or take) 100kg from here to there and most of the time cause people cannt think/plan more than 5 mintues ahead :wink:

in a hv you work had to try to maintain momentum, to predict traffic, to be rolling before the lights change cause it takes you longer to get rolling etc etc only to have some dickhead pull in front of you, rob you of your gap and then only to find him to start smsing and therefore totally miss the light change and tfu your rolling start.

i do not speed as a rule in my truck (apart from the fact it is speed limited), what i do do is maintain a very good average speed wherever possible and i get to overtake lots of people uphill as they simply cannot maintain a speed over a rolling terrain, a task which would seem pretty bloody simple. naturally same said people then spped to voertake you downhill only to repeat the same pattern all over again.

it might also be outside your ken than truck drivers are very heavily policed including a very active system of point to point speed detection, th opportunity for trucks to speed consistently is simply not there. hv penalties and subsequent fines/license suspensions would scare most car drivers off the road - for example i know one local who ost his license for 15 years for driving a semi unloaded and unlicensed, he appealed it and got 20 years...

fucking cage drivers - mostly should be sent back to school and learn how to share a road.

as for why you drive your children to school, the days of them being able to walk are pretty well long gone due, i guess, to the police spending too much resources targetting speeding and such soft easy 'crime' and not enough time actually making our neighbourhoods safe for people.

nce bait tho, lee :thumb
  17. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Single persons in cars are the cause of congestion, not bicycles.
    trucks need to stay in the left lane. i can't get past them when they sit in the middle lane on my bike.

With a projected size of London in a few decades, drastic changes are needed.

Make all roads transit lanes to the city during peak hour, every car needs at least 2 people. Promote motorcycling & cycling to work.
    permits for couriers, taxis, trucks.

More roads arent the answer, less cars is. I'd love for this country to lessen its car culture and gets on bikes, legalise lane filtering.
    But i really doubt that will happen. :cry
  18. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    yehbut - it'd be nice if the councils relied upon any other method than hv to prune the trees along the roadside.

and using the undertaker lane is normaly best left to the fearless, it aint necesssarily a good place for a truck to be.

good traffic flow is about momentum not the current speed,stop,speed,stop routine.

speaking of london i think their idea of lowering freeway speed limits dramatically in peak hour has much merit, iirc the main ring road has a peak hour limit of 40kmh doesn't it?
  19. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    :lol3 very well put. :thumb

<center>
    </center>
  20. cmg

cmg wannabe dirt rider

Oddometer:
    I reckon this will turn into the "OZ Head Explody" thread :deal