1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie Scooter Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Wodger63, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this thread will get any traction but the Battle Scooters thread is huge and as usual most of the input is by our American mates.
    So in attempt to get more Australian content and perspective I thought I would see how this goes as I can't be the only Adventure rider who's other ride is a scooter.
    So up until today I owned a SYM VS 125, it's my run about to the shops, work and errands around town.
    But I have struck a deal and pick up a new Yamaha X-Max 300 on Friday.
    So if there is others who ride scooters, post up here what your riding, what you do with it, any problems, fixes, equipment and just general discussion.

And Pictures.

[​IMG]
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed owning my Piaggio Fly 150 when i was living in Melb CBD, just so easy for getting all around the city and close suburbs

it had 10,000km on it, sold it within 24 hrs for what I paid for it, I prob only did 1000km

7A5FA821-D883-431B-8451-AA6EDAE9F6A7.jpeg
  3. HyperPete

HyperPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2012-01-02_12-31-25_350.jpg I miss my Nexus 500, had it 5 years, had lots of fun!!
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really miss this one:

E29342D3-624C-4FC7-BFA8-AC6652F04879.jpeg

D5A9F61D-B8E3-4A7B-A22B-882A8137980F.jpeg

Took it in to places it shouldn’t have gone, did dumb shit on it, just a fun little bike. Sold it because it wouldn’t keep up with traffic and struggled two-up, replaced it with this:
    FCA0D433-BAFB-42A3-959E-EDAC646B5E27.jpeg

Great thing but shit I miss that Bee-Wee. Been looking at the Honda ADV scoot but it’s not been released in Aus and it’ll be bloody expensive, we thought long and hard about the BMW 650 to replace both the Majesty and the Caponord but that Bav-Tax was a bit hard to justify.

A5BC6D64-C13F-4F88-8994-FD21ED390D0D.jpeg

33BFFC6F-B2FE-40AA-A69A-2CFD9BFE2AB0.jpeg
  5. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Paul124ac I was considering the new Honda ADV 150 but when compared to the XMax the Yamaha is way more scooter for the money.
    Looks like a mini AT.
    [​IMG]
    Pezz_gs and nevgriff64 like this.
  6. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well there you go, didn’t realise Honda had released a 150, thanks Wodge. I will say (very very quietly) my Majesty is the best “bike” I’ve ever owned for all the reasons you don’t buy a bike for. It’s comfy, I have a buggered left knee and I can stretch out on the Maj. It’s miserly on fuel. It fits two cartons of beer under the seat for those Bathurst 12hr pub runs. Real life twisty mountain rides it’ll keep up to most anything that isn’t being ridden by Casey’s or Wayne’s. It is ridiculously reliable. And people don’t feel threatened at all by a scooter rider, quite the opposite actually, I’m usually met with mirth and merriment whenever I turn up on it. It gets lent out to interstate and overseas visitors and after a days touring of the High Country roads they all without fail get off it, scratch their heads, have a beer, and declare that while it doesn’t have any of the go/stop/turn of their normal rides, for actually relaxing and enjoying the scenery you couldn’t find a better tool. And they can still walk.
    nevgriff64, bungen and Wodger63 like this.
  7. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Definitely a scooter on the "to buy" list. Quite happy with the size of my willy and can handle all the vagina in the breeze jokes.

One gripe however, while there are a few "simple" scooters out there, they seem to have lost the way a bit come design. To me, a scooter is the classic Vespa image, super simple/light/basic. Many modern scooters seem way, waaaaay too big/heavy/complex, covered in huge fairings/panels, stepping too close to motorcycles in size AND price. Rant over.

Still, one is going appear in my garage sooner rather than later. Thinking Kymco Agility Carry 125.....
  8. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, maxi scooters are big buggers and like you suggest @david61 have kinda forgotten their roots, but they are comfortable 2-up which is 90% of what ours gets used for.
    Wodger63 and david61 like this.
  9. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re Maxi scooters the TMAX 560 is $16500 odd and pushing 220kg, BMW 650 are over $17000 and pushing 250kg
    At that price I would be looking at a good sports tourer with more much power and around the same weight.
    Maxi scooters to me defeat the purpose of owning a scooter.
    david61 likes this.
  10. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    I'll wholeheartedly second what Paul has said about the Majesty. I had a 250 when I was living in Thailand and every 3 months had to do a visa run (if I hadn't crossed with work already) and my trip was a 500km round one that covered highway, mountain twisties and rural roads. Of all the many bikes I used ranging from 250cc-1500cc I did that trip on over the years the Majesty left me the freshest and most relaxed. It was fun around the tight mountain roads to boot.
    Wodger63 and Paul124ac like this.
  11. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So here's some pictures, old and the new, plus one of the ram mount so I can fit a X-Grip to hold my phone on the odd occasion I might need to navigate somewhere.
    Old and the new.jpg XMax.jpg Scooter GPS mount.jpg
    nevgriff64 and Paul124ac like this.
  12. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the bigger wheels Wodge, my Maj suffers from having 12’s, that looks like a real comfortable tourer even tho Yam markets it as an “Urban Jungle Commuter” whatever the fuck that means. I’d happily ride that all day.
  13. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    This scooter looks like a fun thing to try.

Boxa, BygDaddee and Wodger63 like this.
  14. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode it home from the Sunshine Coast yesterday, 220 odd klms and it was less affected by the strong winds than the MT-10 I rode down.
    It was totally stable and unaffected from the gale blowing around me.
    Likewise when I got home taking my Lady for lap of Hervey Bay, even with the strong wind coming off the beach on the Esplanade the bike/scooter was rock solid.
    I'm more than happy with my new ride.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  15. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I like the Suzuki Burgman 650 but the price or the high kilometres has always put me off a little.

I don't think I could justify buying a new one.

@phyllis had one with a sidecar mounted to it - it was such a lot of fun to ride on the few occasions I tried it.
    Dukehunt likes this.
  16. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Did you trade in the Mt-10
  17. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah mate, Team Moto made me deal I couldn't knock back.
    I made a phone call on Wednesday to inquire on availability, asked me if I was trading.
    Told him I was selling the MT then buying a scooter.
    Asked me how much I would be happy with to do a back trade, I thinking yeah right, going to get ass raped here.
    Told him what I wanted thinking I would get some ludicrous counter offer, but instead he said, yeah we can do that, so I did the trade and bought the scooter. :ricky
    nevgriff64 and a2zworks like this.
  18. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Theres never been a better time to trade, nice job

Wodger63 likes this.
  19. Johns-Bikes

Johns-Bikes Farkling the T7 Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're great bit of kit for running around town.
    That Aprilia looks great, bit pricey though when you consider you can pick up a brand new XMax ride away for under $8K
    Over in Battle Scooters, some them blokes are knocking out big highway miles on scooters.
    If you want a scooter, just do it, you won't regret it.
    nevgriff64 and Johns-Bikes like this.