Aussie Scooter Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Wodger63, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    I sold a surfboard I wasn't using and this little zinger popped up on Facebook market place on Friday afternoon not far from me. Hoofed it around and took it for a test ride. A couple of minor issues and a bit of cleaning up cosmetically to be done but after some half hearted bargaining it was mine for $800. Had to shell out an extra $150 over what I had from the surfboard sale. 2012 150cc Piaggio Fly. Even came with a surfboard rack...bonus. The faded plastics have since had a coat of trim wax and look far better already.
    20200926_054050.jpg
    BygDaddee, sidetrack one and Wodger63 like this.
  2. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Practical - park it anywhere - at least when the wife's not home...

IMG_0300.JPG

Utilitarian - can cart crap (and I mean crap...):

IMG_0229.JPG

The smell of two stroke is getting rare on the ground too.
    Cuttlefish, BygDaddee, bungen and 6 others like this.
  3. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although the XMax is a great scoot with heaps of storage under the seat, you can't beat a flat floor for picking up essentials like a box of beer and a gas bottle for the barbie.
    BygDaddee and nevgriff64 like this.
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I’d never sold mine @Clay-doh, it was my first scooter, at 50yrs of age I started wondering if I’d wasted my life on “normal” bikes. I’d buy another tomorrow but they just don’t come up for sale.
  5. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Bee-Wee got used to cart firewood when we were camping, so many runs to the bottle-o it got called the piss tank, as a conveyance to the shithouse, a pit bike at various classic car meets, it’s done hot laps (!) at Bathurst, PI, Simmons, even did an 1/8 mile at a drag strip. Two mates on seperate occasions had their drunken arses booked on it, who would’ve thought you’d get caught by the fuzz riding no helmet to the dunny at Winton? It never failed to bring a smile to all who rode it.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  6. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Paul124ac we bought it late 2010 (08 model). What triggered the purchase was a trip to Greece and a week hooning around the Island of Paros with the wife on this:

IMG_0459.JPG

Had so much fun on the bloody thing, only 50cc and clocked up 600 odd Ks from memory, and when we got back we went shopping for a scoot to keep in the home shed. Looked at new ones (mostly Chinese) but felt more comfy on a Jap branded one - found the BeeWee and bought it straight away.

IMG_20151111_201027.jpg

We don't use it much anymore as it sits in someone else's shed due to space issues (and too many other bikes..) but I'll never sell it as the rego and maintenance is bugger all.

*The suspension is rather terrible though - half fixed it with an aftermarket rear shock: 100% better.
  7. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
    Disappionting thread, no Parkas, mirrors or The Who.
  8. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Ha, there are a couple Vespas in Hobart with around 20? rear view mirrors.
    sidetrack one likes this.
  9. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    One is probably @SharonVespaGirl,havent seen her on here for 10 years or so!
    a2zworks likes this.
  10. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I test rode a new Vespa 300 GTS earlier this year after having a couple of earlier ones a while ago. Great scooter for urban environs but I couldn't quite swallow their Euro premium pricing for a now Vietnamese-built machine. I ended up with an Indian-built KTM 390 at almost half the on road cost..and ten times the fun if I'm honest.
  11. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    The 2 stroke Bee Wee's go even better with a big bore kit in them. Super fun little sled.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  12. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I considered a Vespa but I did look at specs/prices and they are more $$$ than other comparable scooters.
  13. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    I too got caught by the scooter bug earlier this year.
    Prior to being caught up in "Pandemic World" I was going to clearance auctions in my local area.
    I picked up a Yamaha 100 Valentino Rossi 46 Special for $700 bucks. Everything worked, cosmetics were ok, it was really grubby and the battery was knackered.
    A couple of days cleaning, polishing, and a new battery and it was done.
    I got an unregistered vehicle permit and rode it around some country roads. Its the most fun you can have being flat out doing 80 kph going downhill.
    The original owners manual / receipts were with the scooter and what a life this little bike had over the years.
    Originally sold in Darwin, found its way to Adelaide, then Brisbane and eventually found its way to Swan Reach Victoria.
    Note the rear rack, its a pretty sturdy unit with some good fabrication.
    Look closely and imagine what the front of a shopping trolley looks like.
    You guessed, its made using the front of a shopping trolley
    I took it off to paint it black and as I turned it over it had W..lworths stamped into the flat metal bar at the rear. :lol3 027.JPG
    tomo8r, bungen, Wodger63 and 4 others like this.
  14. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clay-doh and sidetrack one like this.
  15. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2592560 View attachment 2592563 So I asked my wife if she would go for a ride again if I got a larger capacity scooter (not really anyway to phrase that doesn't sound somewhat sexual). She hadn't been on a bike for at least 15 years and prior to that we rode a lot together.
    She said she would. Green light...! Who is not going to jump at that? A couple more spare surfboards were sold and the Piaggio fly 150 was advertised.
    Started looking for maxi scooters right away. Found a Yamaha Tmax 500 06 and a Suzuki Burgman 400 06 both within a $100 of each other. The Burger (23K kms) had 1/2 the kms of the Tmax (43K kms) and looked immaculate whereas the Tmax while still being in very good condition was not as good as the Burger in the pics. 400cc single with frumpy styling but obviously more comfortable for a pillion and including a top box and closer to me vs the 500cc twin with better power, suspension, handling and style with only a rack but no top box. Both scooters were advertised for $3.8K and $3.9K but offers were accepted of $3.4K and $3.5K respectively.
    Went to see the Tmax first as I'd always wanted to ride one. A test ride and deal was done. Added bonus is my 12 yr old son actually doesn't mind scooters (no, he's not gay) and reckons the Tmax is his favourite. School runs can be a lot shorter now as I can lane split through the few sets of lights we have to get to his school. The Tmax is really agile for a big scoot.
    The Burger is still for sale fyi.
    The crazy thing is how fast the Piaggio fly 150 I had just bought was sold once I advertised it. So many buyers lined up for it.
    One last thing of note. I'd driven down to Springwood to see the Tmax late in the afternoon with the wife and daughter. By the time everything was sorted it was dark and going along the gateway motorway underneath my bum started to feel really hot. The Tmax seat has ben re-covered in leather not viynl which the owner had pointed out. I was thinking does this thing have a heated seat that he forgot to mention?
    By the time I got to Nudgee I had to pull into the servo to investigate. Especially since I had been past the industrial area just before that where you get a strong smell of burnt tar and I was thinking if its the scooter and there could be a fire brewing in the enclosed bodywork. Engine temp guage was bang in the middle though.
    Popped the seat upon stopping and the seat underneath didn't feel hot but the surface of the leather did. Anyway survived the ride home with nads maybe charred but (hopefully) still operable. Had a thought when I woke up the next morning that my Aldi kevlar lined jeans and the seat could have created a friction/heat reaction.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  16. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
  17. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cuttlefish likes this.
  18. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it me, cuttlefish’s photo, or is that screen bloody huge? Can’t say I’ve spent a long time comparing, ummm, screen sizes but that does look big.

Enjoy the scoot Mr Fish, my model of wife won’t get on the big bike anymore now that we have the Maj, main reason I’m looking seriously at the 650 BM or the big Tmax, you know that promise you make to anyone who’ll listen (including yourself) that you’ll be able to replace 3 bikes with one?
  19. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is tall but so am I. I do find it directs the wind into my upper face so if I wear an open face with the flip down clear visor around town once I get up to about 80 kph the wind coming over the top of the screen will drop the visor down from the fully open position without touching it.
    Found a stock screen for the Tmax on Gumtree at Nerang Team moto so having that sent up to Maroochydore shop for me now.
  20. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The screen on the Maj has an opening vent, I’ve always been interested in trying the Cal-Sci screen for my Caponord and it seems Yamaha had the same idea. At 100 the screen is a bit buffety as you’d expect, no screen is perfect, then you think “yeah bugger it I’ll open the vent just to see what happens...”. The difference is amazing, so much quieter and less head shake and what not, there’s a website but it doesn’t look like they have a screen for a Tmax:

https://calsci.com/

They are a bit woo-woo but if you can be bothered to read all the techo stuff it’s pretty interesting.
    Wodger63 likes this.