aussie Tiger 800 xc thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by podge NT, Feb 20, 2012.

1. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Six months of neglect and isolation in my shed has ended. I turned over the Tiger and with the aid of some fresh fuel, it spun back into life. Now I need to tidy her up a bit, change the pre- filter and load her up for a ride over to eastern Victoria next week. I hope it stops blowing and pissing down rain.

My last ride in May to Queensland was aborted when Mum took a turn for the worse and passed away soon after. We managed to get as far as Broken Hill before we diverted over to the Flinders, then back towards Crystal Brook where Mum was residing.
    Sundowner and bigredroosta like this.
  2. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    Anyone using K&N oil filter? or is it best to stick with Triumph genuine part? Can't see why the K&N wouldn't be ok and I can buy them at the local bike shop.
  3. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah pretty much same, parked since May, occasional ride to charge the battery, but it's riding weather now old son, what's the go?
  4. JD

JD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last two oil changes have been with K&N filters, and I have two more sitting in the shed. No issues so far, and haven't heard of anyone else having problems with them.
  5. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    Cheers
  6. maxx668

maxx668 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using the K&N oil filters since 2014, never had an issue.
    Buy them 6 at a time.
    Used them on other bikes and never had a problem
    kipo likes this.
  7. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wal it will be a very slow road tour and mostly camping. You've met Jon a couple of times. I am not sure how far he can ride per day with his health issues.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I didnt realise any of these things were still on the road, i thought theyd all gone to the cracked frame grave yard

hi xrman :thumb

:hide
    Night Falcon and Tenerrod like this.
  9. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    image.jpg

900 rally spy shots
  10. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Bolt on subframe and p pegs.
    They listened!
  11. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Its a nice looking bike, is it slimmer/slighter than the old ?, interesting to see what weight is
  12. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
  13. dunc

Oddometer:
    you could say its a game changer

:hide

yes does look lighter and slimmer

someone was going to say it so got in first:lol3
    BygDaddee likes this.
  14. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Xrman must still be out on the golf course trying to find his balls
  15. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    XRman and BygDaddee like this.
  16. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi BD,

Yes I was out playing golf. I hit an 86 shot round. I am improving slowly.

The frames only break if you dump them on the ground hard. Mine hasn't hit the dirt yet. Put it down to superb riding skill, great frame geometry and standard suspension that actually works at speed ( unless you are a lard arse) !

The spy models look as if Triumph has listened to their customers. I wonder if they have made mode change on the fly easier?

I would say that KTM and Yamaha are set to take the more adventurous rider market with their 700/790 models ( for ex- dirt bike riders) , while Triumph , BMW and Ducati will fight over the ex- road riders who think dirt roads are a challenge.

I am starting to look forward to a good ride and some sight seeing.
  17. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Hopefully someone will have experienced this before and can help me out - Been riding my 2013 Tiger 800 XC ABS almost daily for the last four weeks since finishing my chemo treatment - to lift my spirits and help me bounce out of the hole the treatment puts you in. All going moderately well until today - go for a short 5km ride to the pool for 7am therapy session, bike fires up strongly and all good, parked in the morning sun for a couple of hours, then fires up first go strongly, ride another 5km to a mates place, leave bike parked in the sun, finish catching up over coffee about 11am, jump on, fires into life easy as anything, go a couple of kilometres to the local supermarket. Park in the sun again, come out 15 minutes later, turn on the ignition, only the dim constant glow of the ABS light, no start up "fax" noises, no headlights, no digital display - no signs of life from the starter button with clutch in.
    Pop the seat off, battery out, check main 30amp fuse, all good, check all other small fuses in the two boxes under the seat area, give battery terminals a little scrape to bright metal from normal dull colour, everything looks good, so reassemble but still no joy. Cycle key a few times, with dash occasionally lighting up fully but only briefly, activating through start cycle but no headlights, no fax like noise from stepper motor, no fuel pump priming and no tank gauge reading. Immobilizer light not illuminated but all other dash lights display, including tacho needle doing it's rotation and return. But still no start activity and just as suddenly as the full display showed life, it dies again with the sound of a relay closing to no LCD display, with only the ABS light dully glowing constantly. Left it for several minutes before retrying to the same blank screen and dull ABS light. Switch off, switch on a few times. Occasionally the LCD and prestart lights display strongly, tacho does it's thing then disappears just as suddenly.
    Tried what we hope was a functioning jump start pack - still no change in dashboard/start behaviour. It's bloody hot today - at least 42 in the shade. The battery has been strong as an ox with no signs of weakness.
    Tried venting the tank in case it's a dust blocked breather over-pressurizing something but definitely not.
    My only thoughts are either the battery has suddenly died in the heat or the key isn't fully being recognized by the immobilizer, or a relay has failed. Any suggestions? The bikes been parked in the shade for an hour before trying to restart again using the second key. Still no joy.
    It was taken on a good 40 minute each way commute last night and ran strongly, The tank is 3/4 full, despite the fuel gauge not displaying anything when the LCD actually works.
    The battery appears to be the original Yuasa. Is it likely the battery has died in the heat and the jump starter was faulty?
    I left it where it stopped, went home to escape the heat and will go back again much later to push it home if it won't start. With a bit of luck, someone will have stolen the bike by then and it can become their problem to fix. And no local places stock the required battery, to eliminate that possibility. But the battery has honestly been strong and fault free, kept well charged while I was out of action myself with the cancer bullshit.
  18. dunc

Oddometer:
    id just get a new battery
    still the original [6yrs]

i replaced mine a few months ago
    a real difference
    Sundowner likes this.
  19. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    If it had been wet I'd say change the main fuse, despite your initial inspection if it.
    But hot and dry, could be anything.
  20. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm going to hunt down a Motobatt battery tomorrow from further afield, as I have a little 7 day adventure planned from Boxing Day to Kangaroo Island, to go fishing and snorkeling. A mate and I will head down close to dark, to try my Li-Po jump starter and push the fucker home if it won't fire. I can't afford any further bike issues right now.