aussie Tiger 800 xc thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by podge NT, Feb 20, 2012.

1. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    It's tricky to get at without taking the tank etc., off but try an aerosol can of brake cleaner and use the long nozzle thingo and see if you can squirt it in there. Mine did exactly the same thing but I had the luxury of doing it home in the shed with the tank etc., off. I rode it for a while with the problem without it burning out the stepper motor.
    Sundowner likes this.
  2. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Cheers Kipo. Stupid question but with my back issues, I haven't bent down to have a good look yet to see which side the motor is on and where it's situated. Does lifting the seat and removing that small lower rear black plastic panel at the rear side of the tank make access any easier?
  3. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Yes mate it does. From memory it's one the right side under the front of the seat.
    Sundowner likes this.
  4. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Like well under the front. Hopefully Kippo or someone with current knowled gve will chime in
    I've been without mine for well over a year now.
    Did you get the pegz on?
    Sundowner likes this.
  5. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Mate. On - off a few times and let it send a few faxes. If you can get hold of WD 40 with a long ‘straw’ nozzle, get it in there and squirt like buggery!
    Sundowner likes this.
  6. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    Correct
    Sundowner likes this.
  7. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Pivot Pegs are great. Just like gently resting your hands on the grips - quite an easy feel to the bike and very nice when standing. Thankyou for them.
    Tenerrod likes this.
  8. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Awesome, gently rockin' and rolling down the road.
    Happy New Year and enjoy the ride,
    Sundowner likes this.
  9. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Certainly am, Rod. We've had a great trip so far. A brilliant start to the new year. Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Tenerrod likes this.
  10. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to get annoyed by the bullshit this bike displays. Just finished a 4500 km ride of Tassie. During the end of this, I noticed the gears getting slightly difficult to change. Taking the bike for its first ride since returning, half way through my ride towards the city centre, a distance of only ten kilometres max, the gearshift refuses to change up through the gears. The lever moves, the upper shift arm seems secure and moves freely. The oil level is correct. What the hell is wrong? Why have I lost upshift?
  11. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Oh dear, not good to hear about that, doesn't sound good.
  12. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    I think I recall reading about the shifter lug or spring breaking in early models (fixed as a recall/campaign even out of warranty?)
    Angry Pete and Sundowner like this.
  13. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can just feel the engagement pin trying to hold but then slipping off the engagement drum, or whatever the silly bloody Pommy engineers have cobbled together to make the gears engage. Fucking typical in that I've just reregistered the bastard thing today. Now it'll be a gearbox or engine teardown to fix a two dollar part. At least it got me home first. This is the most modern bike I've ever owned or even ridden. It only has 41000 km on the clock. Yet it's been the most unreliable bike I've ever owned. I won't be buying another non-Japanese machine ever again.
  14. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    That’s a shame mate. I have the 2nd gen and hardly touch it other than services. Hope you get it sorted so you can enjoy some fault free miles.
  15. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    A bit of research this arvo shows the cause to be likely to be a broken pin in the selector shaft mechanism. I've found the best video's here, in case anyone else has this issue. My solution for getting home was to fiddle with the shifter until I could get third gear with the engine shut off, then ride it home in the one gear. The fix is simple enough. I'd like to go riding with a mate Friday, so I'll see if I can bowl it over tomorrow.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrcPK0qhvr09lrbIE5TXbA

This video is in German, however it's really easy to understand, with less phaffing around, highlighted points of attention and clear torque wrench settings throughout.

It clearly shows the welding modification to reinforce the dodgy shift pin, plus shows the simple steps to replace the old version spring. And reuses the clutch washer and lockable nut. I'd be tempted to refit the nut 180 degrees, so that the new peened over lock flange is as far from the old one as possible, so as not to have any possible weakness likely.
  16. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, my coping mechanisms aren't great anymore since the cancer has done me over. So simple shit like this (especially now that I know it's not a mega dollar gearbox out job) stresses the hell out of me. But with time to see it's something I can easily sort myself, at minimal cost, I'm on top of it again.
    ferals5 and Tenerrod like this.
  17. Angry Pete

Angry Pete RIP Speedy

Oddometer:
    I have the Gen I, silver frame no rider aids model. The gearbox selector spring was done under recall even though the bike was out of warranty by the local dealer, they just looked up the VIN on their computer system, had it done with an oil change as apparently all they do is take the clutch basket out and replace the spring on a selector arm that is connected to the shaft from the external gear shift assembly (that's basically what old mate the mechanic told me).

EDIT: either I'm getting old, or you did an edit, but I didn't see the video in your post!

As for the stepper motor, the problem is with a brass pivot ring on the idle cam between the stepper motor and throttle cluster arm, when it gets dust in, it mechanically locks. The Stepper motor shouldn't burn out. As others have mentioned spraying the crap out of it with CRC or CO cleaner works until the next bit of dust gets in. I cake the whole pivot section with grease before a big trip, yes attracts dust, but also prevents dust getting to the pivot. When I get home I clean it when doing the air filter change.
    I've got over 70,000km on it now, still runs really well.
    Haggs, Tenerrod, Aussie Trev and 2 others like this.
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last ride I did was in November 2019 when riding buddy and I toured the Victorian high country before the fires. On day one that ride we had very strong winds while traversing central Victoria. A 6 cm branch dropped from a gum tree and bounced on the road in front of me. It hit my bike left side front as I took avoidance maneuvers. The bike lost power, but I managed to stay upright and rode off the edge of the road. My mate told me via the intercom that my side stand was down. I couldn't see any obvious damage so we pushed on. About 5 kilometres later the bike started to make a weird noise , similar to the old cardboard in the spokes trick we did as kids on our push bikes.
    On examination, I found my bike's beak had drooped into the knobby tyre. The impact had obviously snapped several mounting points in the ABS plastic. I used cable ties to hold it all together and carried on.

Skip forward 9 months ( lost 6 months due to Covid response of our government) and I got motivated enough to put my DRZ back together and get it running. Next the damage repair on the 2015 Tiger 800 XCx. I called PS Geelong for a parts diagram and ordered the parts today. Most were in stock ( surprised). Now I know how you can get a Honda XR250 to cost $24,000. You buy it in spare parts! Anyway it is going to cost $540 to repair the cosmetic damage, just less than my insurance policy excess.

I am in two minds whether to sell my Tiger or keep it. I know I will probably regret selling it if I do.
    bigredroosta likes this.
  19. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time for another ride, that should rekindle the tiger spirit!
  20. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about a ride up into New England area, when Victorians are allowed to escape. (probably after the elections in Qld ) Are you is S.A. still?