Aussies doing DAKAR 2019

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bend27, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    Apart from Toby Price and James Ferguson, are there any other Aussies doing DAKAR in 2019?
    Mouse likes this.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :dunno ??

as far as moto's go... OZ ADV inmate @nry had some plans over the last few years.... but I Believe has set family and other plans now in priority? :ear

Dave Winterburn had a similar - long term plan - that included the Safari and other rallies as preparation... how that is coming along?

Trevor Wilson was reputed to be having a look at it... Scott Brittnell competed (and completed) this last one (2018)... but unlikely to back up again for 2019...?

I don't know if Rod F has got a jersey with factory YAMAHA for 2019... he SHOULD do - he was their highest placed finisher this year (2018) and currently hunting for the lead at the Sunraysia Safari...

Other top level aussie riders with recent DAKAR experience...? Grabbo has retired... The Smith Brothers look to have hung up the DAKAR chase... Todd is now moving into cars and Jake... though getting on - is still competitive - probably cannot get the support/backing for a suitable ride... a real shame that HONDA/GHR project never led to something bigger with HRC...

Schwarzy is too old now... Matt Fish has "semi-retired" and raising family these days... who else?

PS: who is "James Ferguson"...? :ear
  3. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Indeed :D

I had massive plans, everything was in place, all my research / prep done and fitness / training just below boiling point, As far as I was concerned it was going to happen.
    I was self sufficient financially (Malles moto all the way) I was just waiting for Dave to be ready too (both riding ex GHR Hondas). In 2016 they pretty much said we were in and wondered where our applications were but that was too soon for both of us I think.
    Unfortunately one thing and another happened in the meantime and then Dave broke his pelvis. We had a conversation and he said "maybe 2020" and I was out. Too old by then and when you've been training seriously for three years already the prospect of another two and at the end of it racing great but outdated Hondas, which we also got nothing but shit about, I called it a day :D I have a decent focus but that was too much! Oh and I knackered my back in November but that's pretty much all good now.
    The other thing, and there are sooo many reasons, is that I didn't want to ride any of the recent Dakars and finish (2 of the last 3) - the last one was apparently ok but I had gone cold turkey by then and didn't follow it. Finishing was never my motivation, anything I could (or can) finish wouldn't have been worthy in my mind... odd eh.

I could waffle on forever.

So Troy is right, my budget for Dakar I'm spending on time with my kids before they reach adulthood and drift off and the toys required for us to that. Finishing the house etc My race licence has expired, but I'll still turn up at enduros.

This is the only thing I ever said I would do in my life and then didn't show up.... a massive no no in my book but it was my call in the end so I can deal with it.

Dave is obviously still going strong and back on the bike at Sunraysia. He's been riding with Allan Roberts and hopefully he'll be there in 2020 but we haven't discussed it since, he should be ok as he has 5 years on me :D
    His FB page - https://www.facebook.com/DavetoDakar20XX/

Trevor, last I heard he'd signed up for a ride with the Dutch team after his sightseeing trip last year, I don't follow any of his social media though so not sure what he is up to.

Spoke to Scott a week ago, he didn't mention anything, although I did give him a screen for his MD so maybe that's his spares sorted :D

Allan Roberts seems to be ramping up his racing again this year after being absent since his excellent showing in the 2014 Dakar.

Ben Young might be at Africa Eco race again this year his third I think, it will be interesting to see how many enter it this year.

Didn't James Fergusson race road bikes in the 90's..

Can't wait to see what the ASO do location wise in 2020. Maybe if they come to Australia I'll put my entry in..... damn it I should have had a clause in my agreement with the wife when she allowed me to buy so many toys :rofl
    Still got the bike ready to go though and my Malle moto box is all packed.
    Maybe we should start a rumour and start a petition with the government.
    BLucare, ferals5, GodSilla and 4 others like this.
  4. bend27

Oddometer:
    James Ferguson from Newcastle riding Scott Britnell's 2018 Dakar bike.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm out.

No funds. No skill. No idea. ........................:hmmmmm Actually, that sounds like a good foundation to mount a campaign. I nominate tREV.
  6. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    ouch :lol3
  7. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I would not underestimate the capacity for him to gain more publicity and possibly dethrone Tp as our most recognisable rider.

Seriously, it's not a big leap in my imagination to see trev being a household name.

Look to the way the yanks embraced the croc man, they would probably never let trev out of their sight.

Shame Harry miller went skiing...
    Pezz_gs, nry, GodSilla and 1 other person like this.
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    uh-oh...:eek7 ^^^ look's like mouse has opened the pharmaceutical cabinet agin... :rofl
    GodSilla, tHEtREV and Mouse like this.
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I'd have thought you'd show more encouragement to your children, Troy.

And have you forgotten the son who has bought us some of the all time epics? Who cares if he can ride when he can carry the world with his wit.
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Oh believe me... I'd love to see a video production unit follow tREV on some of his escapades, and do perhaps "youtube" type series of mini-reality/doco's - spoof's of the Adam Rieman stuff. :1drink:nod ... his combination of wit, story telling ability and the various adventure's he has been on, would be of great interest to many on here...

... but that'd probably pull it up I'd reckon - appeal wise... unless it went viral (and with tREV's humor it is possible)... It'd be like an "Aussie - half of Ewan and Thingy - traveldoc'... gone wrong!" :rofl

... but I don't think DAKAR would be the right platform... the "behind the scenes" hero video aspect of that event - has been done to death.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    "behind the scenes" can get fucked.

tREV will be front and centre. And an anti-hero. There'll be none of that Hollywood shit here mate.

tREV takes a dump. tREV cuts his finger. tREV gives TP some well-meaning advice. tREV gets lost in his own tent. tREV tries to eat with a fork. All good, riveting viewing.
    Big Willy, Sfcootz, Mouse and 3 others like this.
  12. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Ohhh... A thread about Dakar. Open it and start reading...

Hmmm, Troy is such an asset to these discussions with his insightful post providing so much info with many more words than needed. Read NRY's post and feel gutted for him after following his progress, he had done more to get there than most of us ever will, and can't imagine how shit it must have felt when he had to make that decision. Thinking about how much effort it takes to get to the point of saying "OK I'm ready." And thinking it isn't something I wouldn't ever want to do.

Read 'Sillas post and chuckle...Read the ensuing posts and had a good laugh.:lol3

I'll never make the Dakar (I have entered three races in my life and DNF all on the first lap), but I will let you guys in on a secret, I will be at Condo this year, so you'll have to be content with that (I wasn't going to say anything after I had to pull out of so many races I was looking at doing because of money, but I'm starting prep now and I'll be selling a bike to cover costs).

Now lets get back to Aussies at Dakar.:D
    Kiwirich, Big Willy, Pezz_gs and 4 others like this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Great. You're in. We can start planning.

How many pairs of undies will you be needing?
  14. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    How funny is this thread! :rofl
  15. bend27

Oddometer:
    Looks like Steve Riley is go!
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :clap Yay... Rile's is the big green all aussie home-built V8 Commodore 4WD brutal ute... :clap

[​IMG]
    Angry Pete, Cruz and bend27 like this.
  17. bend27

Oddometer:
    Can't wait :rayof
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The Brute ute is a great bit of home grown workshop engineering...

[​IMG]

It's a real credit to Steve and his crew...

[​IMG]

The air-jack system on the rig is awesome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riles and Hedge back in the "Safari" Days with the HONDA MPE team.

[​IMG]
    tileman, Afterdark, bungen and 4 others like this.
  19. bend27

Oddometer:
    Great news:clap, we have another entrant to follow in January. Ben Young has just confirmed that he will participate in the 2019 Dakar. Ben has just finished the Seres Rally in Greece where he put in a solid performance. His ride in Greece was a KTM EXC 450 prepared by Patsy Quicks Desert Rose Racing. His next race will be "Rally du Maroc" in a months time, where all the big guns, incl. TP and Sam Sunderland (with his sore toe) will be, as it is the last big test for everybody before Dakar. Go Ben!
    Dick0, mcguyver, tileman and 4 others like this.
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer: