Aussies doing Saudi DAKAR (2020) now 2021

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bend27, Jul 6, 2019.

1. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    IMG_6156 2.PNG

Apart from Toby Price and Trevor Wilson, are there any other Aussies doing DAKAR in 2020?
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :imaposer Trevor picks "Godspeed" Racing as his team entry name for the first ever Saudi DAKAR :rofl:clap

Talk about sense of humour... way to put a metaphorical target on your back :lol3

I wonder if he has asked for the #113 start number also...? :lol2
    Hoots and bend27 like this.
  3. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    Ben Young is up again for Dakar 2020 :clap:clap:clap
    troy safari carpente and bend27 like this.
  4. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    50787672_936185663254105_5008366487761584128_n.jpg 50885251_936189649920373_4242539059714457600_o.jpg
    Sundowner, stumps, Hoots and 9 others like this.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

David Castera, Dakar Director, offers some sound advice to the Dakar2020 navigators!

“Even far away from the mountainous areas, the Saudi desert is dotted with cliffs, canyons and a variety of rock formations. They will be valuable landmarks in navigating the harsh desert.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Ozsylum inmate @Aquatic has some connections in high places, and informed us over on the RACING forum DAKAR thread that this Nissan ute can be had, if you have a few spare shekels in your pocket; :deal

Got some spare cash and keen to go racing?
    Only €395 000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That sure is a helluva' lot of R&D and state of the art technology - for the dollars... a turn key DAKAR winner; if you've got the money... and skill.

Personally, I would like to see the young Mr Price in something like this in the next year or so - with a top qualified navigator alongside him (one with enough nouse and background; to keep a lid on TP's right foot at the discretionary moments) and an experienced team/management/mechanical support program behind him. I think it would be nice to see Toby (who is undoubtedly a huge skill with the wheel, and reading terrain while driving at speed, rapidly and smoothly) to get in a car, and give the wrist, neck, busted leg and back an easier time of it... :1drink
    Wodger63, Hoots and bend27 like this.
  7. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice thought - however, one would have to re brand this as a mitsu to align with TP's current sponsorship.....
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    A bit of modification to a carbon fibre panel here and there, some headlights, grille... rear tail lights and a "MITSUBISHI" decal across the upper windscreen - is about all that would be needed - to the casual observer, in any case :evil (much like his "Mitsubishi" Trophy Truck" nes pas... ? :brow)

Aside from the block of the engine, there is virtually nothing of a standard 4x4 Nissan (Navara) pick-up in that T1 Proto... just a heap of Nismo factory bits, and exotic transmission/suspension components, all wrapped up in a tube/space frame chassis.

It would not be hard to do a "Mitsubishi" makeover on something like that, if this is where TP's future (sponsorship) ties lie. or, maybe get RalliArt back in the game? :jive
  9. bend27

Oddometer:
    "Personally, I would like to see the young Mr Price in something like this in the next year or so"

Yes, same here, but.. Toby has re-signed with Red Bull for 3 years and I understood that to be riding for KTM, TP would like to do at least another 5 DAKAR on a bike if possible (his words)
    Long term plan is indeed contesting DAKAR in a car (his words), but if the right deal came along earlier I'm sure he would favour it over the bike?
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt that Toby's body (and all the torment it has suffered) has 5 DAKAR's (on a moto) left in it... certainly not at the "pointy end" pace* that he is used to running at the front of the field. (*and let's face it... he only knows one pace). His guts and determination through the 2019 rally are not in question. But being realistic, he just cannot continue to subject his body to that kind of punishment, and expect to come up smelling roses.

Eventually it will take it's toll... five years (until 2024 - and the end of his DAKAR moto career) is further away timewise, than the START of his DAKAR career (first ride as privateer in 2015)... We all know how much punishment he has endured over these past four years...

The move into four wheels would seem to be the smart option - if one was available.
    mcguyver, ferals5 and bend27 like this.
  11. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re TP in a cage : compared to previous Dakar Moto greats that made the switch he has already done a substantial and very successful "apprenticeship" competing and eventually winning in SXS, Stadium truck, Super Ute, and Trophy truck (technically he won the Alice to Finke day 1, cams awards points to each day of Finke separately), so one would think as a driver he is ready to start his 4 wheel rally raid journey (not necessarily with Dakar as the first event..) any time now.
    troy safari carpente and ferals5 like this.
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    It is true, TP has had a significant amount of "seat time" in various forms of offroad "truck/buggy" style vehicles already... with a degree of success. It would make sense for him to dabble in an FIA style cross country rally perhaps prior to finishing his stint with KTM - there are plenty of FIA CCR's on the calender that do not conflict with the DAKAR or FIM Championship calender... even a couple of suitable events here in Oz?

With the money and connections of RedBull behind him (he is one of their motorsport athletes), it is not beyond realistic expectation that he could organise a lease/hire arrangement with a suitable team for an event or two, and try his hand at the Cross Country Rally game in an auto, prior to leaving the moto realm?
    bend27 likes this.
  13. bend27

Oddometer:
    Great news from Longreach in Queensland where Rodney Faggotter has confirmed his entry in DAKAR 2020.
    Rod will be renting a Yamaha WR 450 F Rally Replica supplied by Yamaha France satellite team Drag'on.
    Although not being able to compete in the Sunrasia Rally or Rallye Du Maroc due to work commitments etc, I'm sure he will put on a solid performance!
    Congratulations on putting the deal together and having another crack after last years disappointment in Peru.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 11.20.07 am.png
  14. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder what the cost of rental is?
  15. bend27

Oddometer:
    To buy the above bike outright will set you back $45,000.00 AUD
    Dakar Rally 2020 assistance, (possibly daily services only, consumables like oil, filters and tyres etc, probably not including major damaged parts) $22,500.00
    Would also include a bed in the team truck at night, maybe even a maseur and a physio?
    Not sure if that includes ASO entry fees. Possibly not.....
    Rental of the bike, not sure, but if I had to guess I would allow $15,000.00 AUD
    mcguyver likes this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :y0! I'm out for next year. My dance card seems to be very busy...............
    richo360 and mcguyver like this.
  17. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    That's a shame Gods, I was going to lend you the DR for it.
    GodSilla likes this.
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll be all.under water next year anyway......climate change and all that..:evil :D
    Out6ack and speedwobble2 like this.
  19. bend27

Oddometer:
    Since we don't have many Australians participating in Saudi Arabia in January I would like to introduce Phillip Wilson from Hanmer Springs in New Zealand.

Lots of great Saudi Dakar info on Phil's Facebook page.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.16.45 am.png Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.18.24 am.png
  20. bend27

Oddometer: