Aussies doing Saudi DAKAR (2020) now 2021

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bend27, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Might be time to drop the capacity limit to 250 cc :nah, or , allow the riders time ( :hmmmmm 2 hrs , :augiesecure location ) to go through the road book and mark the danger points and tighter turns , also allowing them to highlight the important information so they can see that at a glance and keep the time their eyes are not on the track to a minimum , but then , not let their team see the RB by then taking it back till the morning after ....... and handing it over then , as they do now :nod . It would be safer , because racers are racers and will go as hard as they can and take risks to be in front . Minimising the risks is the race managements agenda .

They tried to level the playing field with the rule changes for this year , but the big teams are the only ones in the top ten except for Skyler Howes who is on a satellite KTM team , The whole top 12 place holders currently are manufacturer supported teams , so the suggestion that the rule changes have made the playing field more level are ...... more than deluded . All the recent rule changes have done is make the race more dangerous because eyes are on the road book longer at the same or greater speed and they have brought the field closer together time wise . Which in reality means , the racers are trying harder to go fast more often , which increases the danger . You can never make racing safe , but you can fore see issues and limit how dangerous those issues are ........ with careful management and sensible GCR's . I see these rule changes for this year as a French farce . It could have worked with more thought and insight , but they screwed it up .

Rant over , back to the racing :D .
    lurkin likes this.
  2. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now now. Someone down in the racing forum told me it's a rally, not a race.

Never did explain the trophy for coming first thou ...
  3. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    I thought about a 250cc limit also, but then remembered my brother racing his in the eighties in the Australian Safari and coming in not that far behind the winning 600cc machines. With a bit of "Dakar" development 250's will also be dangerously fast. That is the nature of these open country desert events, it is difficult to plan effective changes for safety and still retain the aspects that make them interesting and exciting.
    GSnovice likes this.
  4. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    make the bike class use something commercially available - bump up the minimum build numbers to 100's.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  5. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Looks like Brabec could still win it now.
    felixblack1 likes this.
  6. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Show room model, you or I can buy.

homologation requirement of I have no idea what you'd need for bikes. 5000?
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Put them all on Cruisers should make things a lot safer and maybe help HD sales!
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    This lead rider gone will move Sanders up the ladder one more position

maybe will have a new saying to replace the Bradbury saying once this is over

Nacho Cornejo crashed at km 252. He continued, finished the SS but when he reached the finish he was not feeling well. He's going to be examinated by the medical team but has decided to abandon the race.
    felixblack1 and Turns like this.
  9. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    "It was at the finish line where he decided to put himself in the hands of the doctors. Warned that He got dizzy, had trouble focusing his eyes, and felt sick to his stomach. Common signs of a possible contusion or cranial involvement after a blow. Although he could have gone to rest to see how it was progressing, the danger of having an internal injury (a clot, a dreaded subdural hematoma …) due to the blow, they made it advisable to evacuate him."

“We have failed in our mission. Today I had a very strong fall that left me unconscious for a few minutes, I was able to get back on the bike, but very slowly and with the bike all bent. We made the finish line in stage 10 but for safety I have to get checked for the heavy blow to the head. I feel like a train has run over me. I have nothing left but to thank the tremendous support of my team, my family, my coaches and all the fans for their encouragement. We were close to the great dream, it will remain pending, “
  10. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Make the race for Royal Enfield Himalayans only! that'll sort them out :photog it might also mean I could get some trick parts for my Himmy in the future :-)
  11. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    i really like the more production bike focus idea
  12. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pretty simple - make "Super Production" the premier class, or are they too modified?

Maybe the "Marathon" class is more appropriate

b) Class 2.2
    MARATHON
    These Machines are based on type approved, production Machines, (authorised for use on public roads) which can be modified and/or equipped for Cross-Countries Rallies competition.
    The major parts: frame, engine (cylinder, cylinder head, engine cases) and the swinging arm used must be standard parts, must be freely available to the public
    BygDaddee likes this.
  13. KevinX

KevinX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    stage 10 bike highlights on you tube:

Fearless Whetu likes this.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    MARATHON Class is merely a designation that means certain components on the bike are sealed/marked and must be retained throughout the race (not changed/replaced).

These part are; the forks/headset, chassis, engine, swing arm and wheels/hubs (not tires).

The KTM 450 RR is a Marathon eligible bike

[​IMG]

DUUST RALLY TEAM

• Mark : KTM
    • Model : 450 RALLY REPLICA
    • Performance tuner : Duust Rally team
    • Assistance : Duust Rally team
    • Class : G2.2 Marathon
    saltyD likes this.
  15. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know that reducing capacity and the like will really make much of a difference. Riders will still be going hard on a bike that has nothing in reserve, unsafe in my view.
    Altering the course to reduce averages may be a better course of action, but does Saudi Arabia really lend itself to that?

As much as I love a good high speed race, I must admit that averages of up around 130k for those sort of hours is probably a bit on the ragged edge.

And as far as racing Himalayans is concerned, well go and get (fill in as applicable).:imaposer

All the best to Toby, good to see it's not as bad as first thought.

Go Sanders!!!!!!
  16. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    maybe they need a long lap :cromag
  17. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Houlihan still just outside the 50

I'm sure he'd be happy with finishing, but you would think a top 50 finish he'd be stoked ?
    Beet and KLEaner like this.
  18. KLEaner

KLEaner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daniel Sanders having a red(orange!)-hot crack today! :ricky
    Beet likes this.
  19. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    he is, but you would swear bam bam is following him on the course as they are within 3 sec of each so Sanders isn't gaining anything on him in the overall.

plenty of time for that top 6 to go pear shaped yet.

20. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    And there it is

1. 10:35 Big mistake for Barreda!
      Joan Barreda boasts a lead of 12' over Ricky Brabec after 215 km! However, the Spaniard has not stopped at the refuelling point and has continued the special. The fifth placed rider in the general standings is likely to receive a big penalty at the finish and could end up running out of petrol...
      1. 11:16 Barreda is out of gas!
        Joan Barreda has run out of petrol after 267 km! After missing the refuelling point, unfortunately the Spaniard left himself open to such a mishap.