Austin to The Old Dominion on a 155cc Scooter

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by The Virginian, Apr 3, 2017.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the 946 Vespa claims 57 mph. At 65 it has just a tad more left in it but when you saw me doing 70 it was because the conditions were right, being behind a semi drafting, slight downhill grade, etc. Yes it was pinned after it was broken in and the first service done switching to full synthetic. The full synthetic slicked it up and I gained an extra 3 mph. The speedo shows about 5 mph faster than reality which is annoying for any bike to me. Yes, Glympse uses GPS off your cell phone so it's fairly accurate with a slight lag by the time the receiver views it.
    ClearwaterBMW and klaviator like this.
  2. frique

frique Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just dropping by to applaud your documentation of Bella's running-in; I look forward to following more of your adventures on the 946 - hopefully in sunnier weather!
    The Virginian likes this.
  3. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for stopping by and reading my ride report! I'll do my best to report some more in the future.

Eric
  4. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    My mom got back to me in an email after an hour discussion on the phone upon my return. Again, I thought you might enjoy reading her comments.

Took me a few days because I read so slowly on monitor now, parsing out the words almost one by one. Your discussion of the gear was very interesting, and I was impressed with how much easier it is to do long distance riding now, than it was when your Dad and I beat our way across Canada and around Newfoundland in a howling rain, unfolding and drying out all our paper maps at night in motels! No GPS in those days, altho we did have a "river rafting bag", essentially a dry bag. The installation on the tail looked very compact and I suppose your body right in front of it tended to keep the rain off it (although sometimes that can create a back suction that pulls rainwater IN behind you)

A couple of comments...I was surprised at the 60 mph gas mileage? I suppose you had the throttle wide open much of the time which does suck it up. The 23 gas stops would have been dreadful on a European tour - the damned gas stations in Europe close from 1PM to 3PM every day, and you have to search for an "automatic pump" somewhere; you shove a perfect, unwrinkled bill into a slot and tell it how much gas to dispense. You never get it right of course, and it doesn't make change. We had long long lunches a few times, waiting for a station to open at 3PM because we got caught.

You did mention, along with all your precautions for rain, the use of Rainex on windscreen and visor. Flip swore by the stuff, and if you haven't tried it, get some. You wipe on a film before you leave home, when it's dry, and rainwater just beads up and streams off in the wind, leaving you with a clear visor. Maybe Tom Tom screen too?

Re: noise from helmet, since you spoke of that in choosing the helmet for the trip. I found the interaction between the height of the windscreen lip, and the helmet height (how tall you sit) made a big difference in noise at visor. I used an old Shoei for years for the sole reason that it had a tight visor that worked well with the windscreen on the boxer.

Re: your waterproof backpack, which worked so well. How did you test that out for water tightness before leaving home? You couldn't, is the answer, and if it had leaked, what was your plan B for backpack? You don't mention carrying a black plastic trash bag, and zip lock bags that fit electronic items. I carried a roll of the damned things, but then I didn't have a backpack at all. The pockets in the fairing on the Boxer leaked like a sieve, UP from the bottom - front tire threw water up thru the triple tree. I had to double Ziploc anything I put in those pockets, including my Beretta. Ditto the damned BMW saddlebags, which also leaked. I even had to have a kitchen size trash bag to wrap the tank bag in - the magnets worked right thru it. Flip had a multivario of course.

Re: underwear. We wore Spandex bicycle shorts for the same reason.
    Have you tried any of those Duluth advertised on TV - no bind, no stink, etc. ? They might do it. Of course there was almost nothing that fit women in those days, perhaps still. Gloves were especially a problem. At one point I bought in Canada, a pair of gloves that had a metal contact in palms, and a square of wire mesh that laced around the grips. That was wired to the battery. It worked quite well for warmth, but no adjustment; if your hands got hot, you had to simply switch it off for awhile! Then BMW came out with heated gloves, and I settled for them. Could wear them in the summer by not plugging wire to cuff, and they fit a woman's hand decently - probably too short in fingers for a man because of it. For waterproofing I even tried wearing a huge pair of rubber dishwashing gloves over them; it worked, but really looked dreadful. After while you don't care what you look like, it' survival as you found out this trip. Your gloves looked like the cuffs were too short to mate at the sleeve cuff; I prefer a glove with a cuff that will come up over the sleeve - didn't you get water in there?

The best rain gear I ever used was the yellow stuff from the boat! Also looked like hell, but wrapped at the neck and met the helmet well, so no leaks at the neck. Pants were long, and came down over boots to ankle, which was great too.

Of course you will never ride this scooter in weather like that again, or take a trip that long either, but warmth seemed to be an issue this trip. Can a pigtail be brought from the battery (which is where?) and fastened where you could plug in BMW vest and gloves? I never left home without that vest on, winter or summer.

'momma
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You got a cool mom:thumb
    The Virginian and TM1(SS) like this.
  6. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I had to go to Richmond for to get some IDs updated so I took the scoot. Windy as heck out today but the sun was shining and got another 150 miles on her today.

Over by Richmond International Airport.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped by Moto Richmond to ask about a warranty issue. Love this old school back alley shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New Guzzi's being un-crated.
    [​IMG]

Check out the 50th anniversary chrome V7 with the leather tank strap.
    [​IMG]

A couple of parting shots on the way home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice follow up.,

You have a wonderful voice Eric!!! :strum

That was you singing in the video, right?
  8. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    No! LOL that was Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson from the movie Rio Bravo. ;)
  9. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed this.
    Beautiful scoot!
  10. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my ride report Hello Pitty!
    HelloPitty and TM1(SS) like this.
  11. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    My personalized plate come in! :jkam :thumbup
    [​IMG]
  12. chulla10

chulla10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You meant "ciao" ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I did mean that, it was already taken so this will hopefully get the point across. ;) I may get C1AO instead which is available.
  14. chulla10

chulla10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a moment I thought you were dyslexic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Virginian and Gham like this.
  15. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll change it out. Not the brightest idea I've ever had and put that on my list of things I wish I never did. :hide
    chulla10 likes this.
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastico Eric!!:thumb

I understood it perfectly.

Arrivederci my friend!:wave:wave
  17. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun read, though I'll have to come back to read more. That is a purdy scoot! Stable at top speed?
  18. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    The replacement tag has been ordered! ;)
  19. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it.

Eric
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    how did i miss this?

what an awesome trip.