Australia and New Zealand

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by djeady, Aug 11, 2019.

1. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 43

Still very uncomfortable in the morning but got all packed up and headed on my way to Port Hedland. I’d already decided if I wasn’t feeling better by the time I got there I’d go and get checked out.

I didn’t even make it to town. The pain was so intense I had to stop and rest a bit under a bush by the side of the road before I could continue.

I went first to a medical clinic where I was told very brusquely that they couldn’t see me unless I’d been there before. They directed me to the hospital where I checked into the ER where I did a bunch of paperwork and was eventually seen by a doctor.

Bottom line is I have a 9 mm kidney stone that is trying to work it’s way out and will probably take 2-3 weeks to do so.

Gave me an injection of an anti-inflammatory, an information sheet and a prescription for heavy duty ibuprofen.

Pain had let up and I rode for another few hours getting as far as the Fortescue Roadhouse.

I did stop along the way and looked at the closed Whim River Roadhouse. Seem to be a lot of these places closing down.

Took a campsite in the back and went in for dinner. No beer available because they don’t have a license and I returned my first dinner because it smelled and tasted off. Second choice of a steak burger was somewhat better. Don’t think this place will be around much longer either.

Afterwards headed back to my tent for an early sleep. IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0449.JPG
    chudzikb, MrKiwi, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  2. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Youre having an awesome adventure mate and am enjoying the read but you need to watch out when riding in that heat. You need to drink water constantly. Sounds like you are dehydrated and having cramps. Your body cant digest food because youre so dehydrated. Make sure you drink heaps of water and gatorade before you continue on. Better still, have a day off the bike and rest and rehydrate so you can continue the adventure and not end up prematurely in hospital!
  3. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a hydration bag in my tank bag and am drinking constantly. Usually go through at lest a litre per hour.

See post above re what the problem actually is.
  4. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    OK....damn. Having a kidney stone certainly isnt ideal when youre on the road.
  5. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    It's not ideal at any time.... ever !!
    Hope it doesn't become to much of an issue dj. Enjoying the report btw
    MrKiwi likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    just to add to the hydration topic. drink some electrolyte in the morning. you went all night not taking in water so start out depleted at the beginning of the day.
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the kidney stones, how frustrating.
  8. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 44

Up early and got packed up. Had a coffee and a packaged muffin at the roadhouse before heading out.

Fairly easy ride to Coral Bay. Temperature much more comfortable, but still very windy. I should have had more than enough fuel to do the last leg, but it wound up being touch and go whether I would make it. I did, but just.

There’s no actual service station in Coral Bay, just a 24 hour card facility that I had to figure out before getting fuel.

Checked out the 2 campgrounds in town and decided on the People’s Campground because the sites were larger and the unpowered sites were against a fence which gave some shelter from the wind. Not cheap though - $47 for 1 person on an unpowered campsite.

I set up my tent and checked out the facilities which are pretty good.

I asked about renting snorkel gear and was told “no problem” just go to the shop at the front. I went there and they were closing early and couldn’t rent me any gear. They suggested I try the hut at the end of the beach, but it was closed for the day.

The Ningaloo reef comes very close to shore in Coral Bay. At low tide it is only a few metres from the sand bar in the middle of the beach.

Had a swim on the beach and then laid in the sun to warm up.

It’s very pretty here but it’s such a change from recent weather. the temperature is 26 degrees C and it’s going down to 16 tonight. The water temperature is 23 and the 50 km/hr wind blowing from the south makes it seem much colder.

Afterwards I walked up to the little plaza and bought some beer and food. I bought enough for two nights because I’m going to have to stay a second night if I want to snorkel.

I went back to the park and put my food away and then chatted with some of the other campers. Afterwards I went down to the beach to take a few sunset pictures then went back up to the camp kitchen to cook my dinner.

After cleaning up I went back to the tent to read and sleep. I had a few pieces of coco late for dessert. A rare treat as it has been too hot to keep chocolate for quite a while.

My kidney stone hadn’t bothered me all day, but when I lay down to sleep the pain kicked in again. I took one 400mg ibuprofen and then an hour or so later another one and the pain subsided and I had a good sleep with the wind howling outside my tent. IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0453.JPG IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0471.JPG IMG_0473.JPG
  9. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 45

Got up and made my breakfast.

Very cool in the morning and still windy. It’s funny to have gone from one area where the tourist season is over because it’s too hot to another area where the tourist season is just beginning because it’s still a bit cool.

I wrestled a bit with whether I should stay another day so I could snorkel the reef. Finally decided I would.

I extended my stay at the camp office, then went down to the beach and rented snorkel gear and a wetsuit.

I walked south on the beach a bit, then swam out to the reef and let the wind carry me along. It was almost too fast and when I wanted to look at something I had to sim against the current.

The reef is very pretty, mostly plate corals, and looks very healthy. Lots of colourful little fish and a few bigger ones like the group of drum I saw swimming by.

It’s also the first place where I’ve seen reef fish of different species school together and I followed a big group of them for a while.

The rental guy had said the current would take me back to the beach, but I had cone out quite far and that didn’t seem to be happening, so I had a bit of a swim to shore.

I got out of the water and walked back up to where I’d left-leaning my towel and got out of the wetsuit and warmed up in the sun. You can get quite chilled in 23 C water, even in a wetsuit.

After warming up for a while I went in for a second snorkel, but stayed closer to shore. Interestingly, there were more small fish closer in than I saw out in the main reef.

I came ashore at the big sandbar in the middle of the beach, then walked back up to turn in my snorkeling gear.

After warming up for a bit, I walked up the road to the bakery for a sandwich and a cold drink. Still can’t get used to the amount of ‘salad’ they put in their sandwiches and burgers here and it was very messy to eat.

Afterwards I went back to the beach for a while, then went back to the campground.

I was having trouble getting my phone to connect to the GoPro so I brought everything plus my laptop over to the camp kitchen and worked on it for a while. Very hard to focus with tons of hyperactive kids around.

I finally got it sorted out and looked at my pictures and video for the day. Didn’t get much worth keeping, but I’ve uploaded a short clip so you can have a look at the reef.

I rested a bit, then came over and cooked my dinner. After cleaning up I went back to the tent to read and sleep.

10. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 46

Got up and had coffee and breakfast, then packed up to leave.

Continues to be much cooler and very windy.

I rode as far as Carnarvon where I bought fuel and stopped for lunch at a little bakery. Very nice Vietnamese pork sandwich. Afterwards I splurged on an apple turnover which was tasty, but had more whipped cream than apple.

I headed back out of town and turned off to see Carnarvon’s Mike Long Pier.

The pier was closed off, so all I could do was take a picture, but there was also a railway museum and lighthouse on site that were both worth visiting.

I headed back to the highway and carried on, stopping to see the massive Earth Link dish used for satellite communications.

I’d hoped to get to Geraldton, but the wind was fierce and I had to stop several times to rest.

I finished up at the Billabong Roadhouse where the camping was free! I bought a couple of cans of beer from the Billabong Homestead Tavern next door and went back to the roadhouse where I had a nice steak dinner.

While I was setting up my tent I had talked to a couple of young ladies from Argentina who were camping there as well. They had built a small fire and were trying to build it up, so I loaned them my little camp axe to break up some of the bigger pieces of wood.

When I came back they had gone to bed but the fire was still going strong. They left my little axe next to the bike.

I read for a while, then went to sleep in a fierce wind that threatened to blow my tent away. IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0569.JPG
  11. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 47

Up early and had a shower.

Picked up a coffee in the way back to my tent and drank it while I ate a very nice blueberry muffin I’d picked up yesterday.

It was still quite cool as I packed things up and I put the vent cover back in my riding pants so I’d be a bit warmer.

Stopped in Northampton for fuel and coffee and met Chris who I’d met a few days earlier riding his DRZ650 around Australia in w week intervals between work shifts.

Interesting old mining town (copper and lead) and I took some pictures of some of the buildings.

I went in to the information centre across the road and while I was there met an older lady who had moved to Australia from Goderich, Ontario in the 1990s.

I took the Infldian Ocean Road along the coast and the wind continued to be quite strong. It was very tiring.

I carried on and stopped at Leeman to get gas and have some lunch. Big plate of fish and chips - I didn’t finish it. I stopped briefly on the waterfront to take a few pictures. They have a pair of sea ospreys nesting on a pole at the beach and I watched for a while, but wasn’t able to get any good pictures.

I carried on into Perth and down to Fremantle where I stopped to check out the place where the Rottnest Island Ferry leaves from. The office was closed so I headed down to the campground in South Fremont to check in.

Got a nice site close to the amenities and set my tent up, then went to the little tavern across the street and had a chicken Parma and a beer.

I went back to my tent and settled in for the night.

I got up to go to the bathroom around 12 and the again just after 2. This time when I went out the bike was gone!

Not only the bike but the attached panniers which contained among other things my passport.

I walked out to the office, but there was no one there, so I called the police to report the bike stolen.

The I walked back to the tent and was just starting to make postings on the various forums when my phone rang.

It was the police and they’d found my bike!

They asked me to walk over and meet them at the little cafe across the road. When I got there the bike was there and they told me that they had apprehended the two people who were trying to start it. Apparently they triggered an alarm at the cafe as well.

They had parts of the front of the bike wrapped in paper as they are sending a team by in the morning to get fingerprints.

They had partially pulled the windscreen off and broken one of the side covers as well as smashing the metal surround of the ignition lock with a brick.

I’ll have to wait until the police come back to see if I can get it to run.

Went back in to the tent and tried to get some sleep without much success.

IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0597.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0606.JPG
    mb8, B10Dave, Adventurepig and 3 others like this.
  12. crowe2815

crowe2815 kenoath

Oddometer:
    Fuck, Sorry to hear about your bike mate. Fingers crossed you can get it started and keep on plugging along, and that the bike thieves are lined up against a wall and shot with a ball of their own shit.
    ferals5, Adventurepig and Suncoaster like this.
  13. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Geez, sorry about that.
    Little bastards.
  14. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving the report mate, sorry to hear about your bike.

If you need a place to stay in Melbourne please let me know.

Josh
    Suncoaster likes this.
  15. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No one needs that shit with their bike Hope it all works out in the end
  16. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    I might start using my disc alarm again. At least outside the tent you should hear something, either them smashing the lock or it going off.
    Cities suck for camping and security.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that's not very friendly of them. Hopefully, not too much damage. And those bastards get to go take a swim with the box jelly fish!
  18. djeady

djeady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 48

Didn’t get much sleep.

Got up early and had a shower.

Went over to the parking lot next to the little cafe and scoured around for bits of the bike, keeping an eye out for my tool pouch which the also nicked. Found a few odds and ends. Their primary tool - cement paver was also lying there.

Went into the little cafe and chatted with the owners and their English wasn’t very good so didn’t get a lot out of them.

Went back over to the campground and waited for the office to open so I could tell them what happened. Talking to other campers I found out a car had been stolen the previous night and someone else had a wallet taken from a locked car - they smashed a window.

Tinkered with the bike, avoiding touching the areas the police had covered up to protect fingerprints.

Sorted out a couple of wiring issues and replaced the main fuse which was blown. They’d even unplugged the headlights.

I was able to get the bike to turn over, but it wouldn’t start. A couple of the wires were cut off too short to allow me to reconnect them, so I tried to bypass the switch entirely, but no success. Turns out the wire from the CDI requires a 100 ohm resistor to ground to allow starting and that is inside the switch.

Talked to the local Yamaha dealer who are just up the road, but they weren’t much help. Might be idea to look at it on Monday - no idea about parts.

They referred me to a Kawasaki dealer in Perth who advised they might be able to look at the bike on Friday, but I’d have to find away to get there.

Spoke with the security guy at the campground and he showed me video of them wheeling the bike out of the campground as well as a clip of the one guy being chased into the campground and hiding in the bushes until they flushed him out and handcuffed him.

The police forensics guy finally showed up around noon. Nice guy and he went over the bike, said he couldn’t get much because of all the good Australian red dust on the bike, but he didn’t think they’d need it as they had these guys cold. Funny but he’d been born in Toronto, his parents were British and had moved to Australia when he was young.

He suggested taking the bike to a little bike shop just down the road called Retro Moto. I walked over and they said sure, bring it in. Even had another KLR there they could swap parts with for diagnosis if necessary.

Went back to my tent and had a nap.

I walked back over to Retro Moto and he had it just about ready. He’d taken it apart and repaired the switch and resoldered the wires and all was good. He’d even taken the time to smooth out the area that had been broken around the switch. Looks like it has always been that way now.

Even roughed in a new connection for a phone mount/charger for me!

Huge shout out to Retro Moto for taking the bike in for me at short notice and doing a great job fixing it.

He didn’t have an accessory plug or the alarmed disc lock so I walked over to the Yamaha dealer and got what I needed, even negotiating the price down a bit.

Went to the local Bunnings (like Home Depot) to get glue to fix the side cover.

Rode back to the campground, put the alarmed disc lock on and took off the broken pieces off the side cover.

Afterwards I walked over to the little pub across the street and had a nice curry pie with chips and a cold beer, then called it a night. IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0614.JPG
    ferals5, MrKiwi, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  19. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems to have worked out, great!
    crowe2815 likes this.
  20. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Great news about the repairs, I'm surprised you made that far without problems already considering where you have been. If you come across your Argentinean friends again, you might want to let them know it's really not a good idea to leave a fire in the open unattentended in Australia, particularly when it's windy.
    I'm enjoying your trip, so you should be too.