1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia,it's a bloody long way.....around.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vOOdsy, May 11, 2009.

1. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgive me Advrider for I have sinned, it's been a good 12 months since my last adventure. During this time I have been a slave to the government, working weekends, public holidays and racking up enormous amounts of time-in-lie. Something had to give...before I lose my mind.

So about 6 weeks ago I started my journey to go around Australia. The plan was to have no plans and just "wing" it as the day beckons. Actually, I tell a small lie, a small plan was hatched to meet another adv inmate (lowrpm) somewhere near Queensland as he was leaving a week later. But as we all know, shit happens on bike trips and the suzuki and bmw moons weren't aligned. Nevertheless, a bike ride was to be had.

Now to be perfectly honest, I'm not the most technical, competent, fast nor mechanical apt rider on the face of this planet. I'm serious, I'm slow as they come. This along my many cockups during this trip (especially with equipment), makes me wonder I got back in one piece. I should have practice many things before the trip and even tested new equipment out, but it was getting to that stage where I just said "look go with what you got and deal with it when the problem comes".

Oh before I start, be warned, there are shitloads of pics.

Day 0
    As expected, prior to any of my trips, I packed too much. This is the bike, the ubiquotos Dr650. Not many mods on it apart from the case savers, Zumo and lowered the rear by the spare notch on the link. I can tell you, being vertically challenged as I am, this mod helps so0 much. Unfortunately, you have to be very carefull where you park it.

[​IMG]

The view from the cockpit. Bog standard.
    [​IMG]

Fresh tyres, Mitas E07s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Two

Two Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Looking forward to more pics
    :tb
  3. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 1
    Snobs Creek - Bright - Corryong - Jindabyne

Quite a long day it turns out, but the weather was excellent and roads to be ridden.

This was taken just outside of MAnsfield. Quick double check everything is still hanging on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along the way there is Power's Lookout. Apparently used by a bushranger to look down onto the valley for horse carts before robbing them.
    [​IMG]

Views a bit smoky/misty not sure from where tho.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views to get into the lookout.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this one vOOdsy.. :clap :clap
  5. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Continuing...

A touristy town called Bright, people come here to gander at the autumn leaves and popular stop off point for skiers during winter. Looks like I'm a bit early for both.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bright onwards towards Tallangatta, is a popular run for motorcyclist as the roads are peppered with twisty roads. Truly an awesome biking road.
    [​IMG]

Weather was getting quite warm, and had to peel away a few layers of clothing.
    [​IMG]

Twistys!!
    [​IMG]

Can't remember the name of this river..could be the Mitta Mitta.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see still hazy, but the sun is out..somewhere.
    [​IMG]
  6. sebas

sebas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice pics! keep em coming :lurk

one day I'll have to post the pics of my ride around south-west oz last year, I've been too lazy lately :(:
  7. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just checkin how are the piccies coming out folks?..I'm experimenting with some resizing software. Original pics are in 4MB jpeg forma.

Anyways back to more piccies. Managed to reach Corryong in good time and since there was still plenty of light left I thought I conquer the Alpine Hwy past Thredbo and into Jindabyne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Snowy are is famous for its construction of the hydro dam. Apparently there is a tourist centre down below, but I've been before so onwards I go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another short break at Geehi station. Met 2 Bright motorcyclist here, one was ona schmick F800 and the other was a cbr1000 if i remember correctly.
    [​IMG]

Good camping spot here, in hindsight this would have been an ideal campsite for the night.
    [​IMG]

Now I've reached the top of the Snowies. Quite windy today.
    [​IMG]

Does it get any better?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finnaly reached Jindabyne, about 6 oclockish (Froma 7:30am start). Preparing for some stealth camping at the local park..lol.
    [​IMG]

Fired up the dual-coleman...man can this thing put of some serious heat! Dinner was pasta and tuna.
    [​IMG]

8. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some panos from Day 1.

[​IMG]

Lake Jindabyne...trout fishing lake.
    [​IMG]

Somewhere towards Dead Horse Gap.
    [​IMG]
  9. Cloud9

Cloud9 I was HERE?

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! :thumb
  10. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Go vOOdsy, go!

Fantastic pics.

:lurk
  11. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 2
    Jindabyne - Cooma - Kiama (NSW)

Well, it appears now that the 1-man tent is just a tad cramp for me and my gear. Funny, it looked much bigger in the store and lighter as well. Btw, does anyone know a trick to get the tent back into its original compression bag? For the life of me I cant figure it out. Tried all different folding patterns.

Had a good nights sleep, despite all the street light. Light showers in the morning..which was a sign of things to come in the next few days.
    Overcast skies as I am leaving Jindabyne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visited Lake Eucumbene..another haven for trout fisherman.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Eucumbene, I headed in Cooma and then diverted onto a dirt track that passed Countergany, Badja, Snowball and finnaly exiting at Braidwoods. By now the showers have arrived more consistently. All gear so far are fine excep for the Alpinestar boots...wet!
    [​IMG]

Still some nice views..
    [​IMG]

Wet boots..bugger.
    [​IMG]
    These tracks would be awesome i the dry, definately a place to revisit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now out of the national park. The trail was still "slushy" in some parts, which made riding interesting on a loaded bike. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty bike :clap
    [​IMG]

Short break
    [​IMG]

Arrived at Kiama late, and boots are now truly sodden. I initially booked a tent site at the Kiama Big4, but as soon as I got to the camping site, the ehaven unleashed all of its fury and it pissed down heavely for about 15minutes. I mean torrential rain. During the last two weeks, the state of NSW endured one of its wettest rainfall in years. Many towns were blocked off from the major hwy. Lucky me!

So i went back to theoffice and promtly booked a cabin at a cost of $95 a night,,ouch. Thats took a sting out of my budget. You should have seen the look on the attendant face when I went to rebook my accomodation. It's a face that just said "I knew you'd come back". Went to my cabin, and wouldn't you know it, the rain stopped...just typical.
    [​IMG]

Modest digs, but its clean.
    [​IMG]

Process of unloading the gear to try and be more organised. I think it just made things worse than before :huh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pasta and tuna again.
    [​IMG]

The weather report for tomorrow....:cry
    [​IMG]

Well better start drying the boots.
    [​IMG]

Total covered in the first two days.
    [​IMG]

12. Steffo

Steffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap
  13. aces anugal

aces anugal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool. This should be fun!
  14. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first 2 days riding went like this, around 500km.

[​IMG]

Then
    [​IMG]
  15. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    Onya vOOdsy. Looking forward to this. Still struggling with mine - it'll be a change to watch you for a while! :D The pics look great by the way.

Low
  16. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 3
    Kiama - Singleton (via Putty rd) 409km
    Heading northwards, but inland to avoid the rains. Always wanted to do Putty Rd, as I heard its another good motorcycling road.
    The trip looked something like this.
    [​IMG]

Hmm...looks like another wet day
    [​IMG]
  17. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    mate if you take a year off before a trip like this well it's no big shame, nice choice of route so far, keep it coming.:thumbup
  18. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap
  19. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very nice trip :clap
  20. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support folks. Yeah I can't or don't go on many adv rides because of two main reasons, (1) I'm a slow "gumby" rider, I mean slow and usually find myself at the back of the pack and hate slowing people up on group rides and (2) I work weekends as well to pay for my hobby

Hmm...interesting cloud formations ahead.
    [​IMG]

Apparently touratech released a new range of windscreens for the DR, which incidently serves as a road map.
    [​IMG]