Australia Post = one day it'll turn up!!!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by KatoomDownUnder, Jul 2, 2011.

1. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or has the service at Australia Post just gone down the drain.
    I've had two parcels, one local and one international not be delivered despite Australia Post insisting they had been.
    The first was an express post bag sent from Erina to Carlingford. It ended up at a local sub branch who are useless and tend to forget to send out parcel pick up slips. The poor bloke who sent the parcel was told it was delayed due to volcanic ash!!! Not bad for a bullshit reason.:deal
    I knew there were flights disrupted but not road services, this probably just wasn't news worthy lol.
    The second parcel from the states was in Australia in no time but then spent four days at another sub branch. They almost weren't going to hand it over as the parcel delivery notice hadn't been sent out. This is even after all online tracking, USPS and Aust Post indicated it had been delivered.
    Next time I'm going to ask for UPS or DHL etc. They don't seem to fuck up as much as Aust Post :huh
  2. Tony T

Tony T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they all stuff up from time to time.
    I get my photo albums sent from NZ and they come by DHL. They've been fine for years and then about 2 years ago, turned to shit.
    I always thought Aussie Post were fantastic until I got 2 fuel tanks sent. One from Alice Springs that took 16 days and 53 bucks and another from California that took 5 days and 51 bucks. :huh
    Most of the time, they're all great, but every now and then they fuck it up. :lol3
  3. Copie

Copie The resident new guy

Oddometer:
    I love reading threads like this.

Now for your exact information, express post articles were grounded on the 21st, 22nd, 27th,28th and 29th of last month, they were transported via linehaul and special one off truck runs and only covered metro only, how do i know this? well for one i work for australia post transport, and second, ive been doing the airport night runs for the last 3 weeks, and those 5 days i listed i spent the entire 12 hr 30min shift sitting on my ass at work watching tv. So most express wasnt available for inital sort to daybreak, meaning that most express that had to go out to DC's were missed. There is nothing they can do when AAE and Qantas ground the freight airflights, they just adapt as best they can and move on, we have also had funky weather (well in Sydney anyways) the last few weeks as well, with massive amounts of rain, huge winds with the ash ontop. Erina to Calingford depending on which LPO or what PO it was sent from (or if it was dropped in a SPB) depends on if it is run overnight, pretty sure they have a 3.30 cutoff there for express, and anything dropped in the red boxes is 2 days.

In regards to no parcel slip, if its not a letter then it goes to a contractor, and its up to the contractor to leave the slip in the mailbox if its available (though with express they tend to just leave it at the door since it doesnt have to be signed) feel free to put in a complaint about it though, because contractors get punished pretty hard when they fail to meet service standards. If it was a PO box address, then still put the complaint in, as the service standard is failing to be met.

Also FYI both DHL and UPS use australia post for final delivery outside of city metro areas.

Oh and Alice springs to SA the transportation takes it from Alice to Darwin, then linehaul to Brisbane, then Sydney then to Adelaide then out to you. There is no direct service from Alice to SA. I am pretty sure Alice is not picked up for processing daily either.
    solerida likes this.
  4. ararat

ararat Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer:
    Auckland the land of the rain and clouds...
    They all fail, its humans who run the place and not all of them are worthy of their positions.
    I had a package from apple with their good service from TNT, well usually good. until one day when i was all day in the office i go to the mail box to check the post and i see a note for failed delivery. no bells were ringing no door knocking nothing as i knew they will come. takes them 48hrs to redeliver.
    Moaning about it to apple did give me my money back... but still took almost another week until my stuff arrived.
    The person just decided i am not in and never bothered to move his hands...
    They have a collection point in the airport in Melb. well i am not driving an hour to get the items... that is why the "deliver" it.

As for the post services, they were perfect up to now and our post office team is a great team. never late always collected on the same day if failed delivery and nothing got broken or went missing.
    I think they are way better then those UPS/TNT/whatever services.
  5. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    Thanks Copie but it's only a 45 minute drive from Erina to Carlo:wink:
    So how does the grounding of flights affect that????

Like I said the originator was given a typical bullshit answer you'd expect from a government organisation. Trust me I know after 20 odd years spending tax payers coin.

Ohh and I have spoken to others in my area who were given the same bullshit even for local mail.
  6. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    In the last two weeks Ive bought 3 things for my bike, bought them all on the same day. One from aus shipped via regular post which arrived 8 days after I purchased it (was date stamped the day I purchased). Second was from The US via USPS (which becomes auspost once it gets into aus) which took 9 days (how did it only take an extra day to go through the us mailing system, get on a plane and get through customs?). Third was from the UK sent via DHL, arrived at my doorstep in 4 days. I know how I'm going to get my purchases sent to me from now on.
  7. Copie

Oddometer:

Yeah i know the distance, hunter transport does from Gosford hub into Strathfield then to Chullora and Swathe, since Gosford transport doesnt have trailers, only rigids. As i said in my earlier post im 99% sure that area has a 3.30pm cutoff time for express, since run 578 does Scholastic at 3pm then is at Gosford hub to pickup 8 exp at 4.30pm to be at Strathfield by 6pm for sortation.

The poor muppet in the call center had probably been receiving calls about it all day, and didnt know the distance or where the two points where, can hardly blame him since its been such a shitstorm the last couple of weeks. That being said our express service is usually pretty good, last year we got a 98.2% delivery standard within the overnight timeframe, which was higher then any other courier service in the country.

But expect post to change dramatically within the next 5 years, since they have been bleeding money way too long now and they now have a CEO that is actually got a set of nads to try and get the company back into the black.

You need to remember, its totally dependant on where the article is coming from, most of Australias internal mail is run by road, and is usually never sent direct, for example from Brisbane to Melbourne actually goes to Coffs then Newcastle then Sydney then Canberra then Melbourne, they aim for a 5-7 business days delivery from interstate.

US inbound mail, depending on what coast is usually within Australia within 3 days, the rest of the time is going through customs, into our internal mail network. DHL is different again, thats sent into Australia on Fedex, then to the DHL plant on Ansett Dr then processed and then sent in the O/N network to the destination.

For the volumes we do and the costs etc, its not too bad, at least we arent broke, unlike alot of european mail services, USPS and NZ mail.
  8. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Anyone expecting a post package from Canada would have been waiting for a while, as there has been a lockout after industrial action. All the post boxes had the slots blocked by pop riveted bars.
    Should be back to work now but I suspect the backlog means I'll beat the kids postcards home.
  9. Smokeyr67

Smokeyr67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Brisbane, an outer western suburb, but still Brisbane Metro.

I'm a shiftworker, so I'm often at home during the day, ready and waiting for Aus Post to knock on my door, and all I get are slips in the mailbox letting me know that my item is ready to be picked up at 1 of 3 post offices.

I've complained that I pay for delivery to my door, and Aus Post just say they attempted delivery when they obviously haven't.

Recently I had an elderly relative stay with me, their chemist sent medicine via Aus Post courier, with the label " Resident incapacitated, delivery must be made to the door"

The slip in the leterbox said "unable to access"
  10. RoadBandit

RoadBandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Befriend your local Postmaster. :deal Works a treat for getting things sorted out :clap
  11. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    I live in Rural NSW - 160klms south of Sydney - My postie delivers the lot - Must say Aussie Post down this way is excellent - be it either an order from Amazon, 1day, ebay stuff or Max BMW in the USA.
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    the past four years i've used aust post hundreds of times for personal and business stuff so feel reasonably qualified to comment on their services.

only stuff ups? a few times they haven't left the orange collect-at-post-office slip for me (as noted above, this is the contractor's fault).

they lost one item i posted a few months back, their internal search did not find it. customer opted not to have registered post for insurance and appears to have accepted a $35 item is permanently lost).

got a current item reported as not received by a customer, it's only a few days late so still might show up.

overall i've been impressed with aust post, and just tell clients to pay the extra $4 for registered post if they do want basic insurance on items.
  13. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    +1 . iI used to get the slips in the mail , then i complained , i now have the very nicest of ladys who goes out of her way to make sure my parcel's are deliverd to me

i live on a battle axe block so , she drives up my driveway , the gate and dog stops her , she then get's out of her van , yells my name , if i'm home i meet her at the gate , if im not , she drops one of the plastic goods box's over my fence , then drops another on the top so it wont get wet if it rains ,

At christmas last yr i brought her a bottle of wine for her efforts and a card , she actualy said to me , thats the first time any customer has done such a thing , now we are really good friends ,oh and she's easy on the eye also :D
  14. DMME

DMME Old Fart, Older Bike

Oddometer:
    Over more than 15 years in business I've swung between couriers and Aus Post. BUT always end up back at Aus Post Express.
    I send between 20 and 30 Express satchelss (500 gram and 3 kg) a week.
    Only ever had 2 dissapear :D
    One when the plane crashed on the way to Brissie (poor bloke), and one just never found :cry.

As with anything (human or machine) mistakes can happen but it probably just comes down to the delivery/processing guy local to you.

Go with what works for you :rofl
  15. Smokeyr67

Smokeyr67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My local Agent was a prick, but since his newsagency was innundated in the floods, and he's operating from an ISO container he's become an arse...The local postie asked me to complain about him (un solicited). I did complain, and recieved form letter in reply.

(Mind you, this guy tried to charge me to send a package to a mate in MEAO, and has refysed to post packages from families to their deployed family members, so maybe he's just random idiot)
  16. L0cky

L0cky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't used Aus Post to send any parcels since the theiving pricks stole an xr acerbis tank that I sent to an inmate.

Registered post my arse - as big as three basketballs taped together in 3 thick black plastic bags, 2 big address labels (taped all over so they couldn't tear or be removed) with the sender and receiver addresses and phone numbers..vanished into thin air.

I can understand a letter or document parcel falling down the back of a shelf or getting stuck to a pallet or box and going missing - but this thing was big and odd shaped.. someones done some parcel samplling..
  17. Copie

Oddometer:
    To the people say they have 'stolen' items, you do know they have more cameras pointed at the sort centers and DC's then a damn prison right? all ULD's, trays and Parcel bags have barcode tags on them, which are scanned in and out as they move through the network, so they can tell to a reasonable degree of certainty where exact is a specific item.

No saying thievery doesn't happen, but its pretty damn rare, and chances are its at the dead letter office if its gone missing, the amount of undeliverable parcels and letters they have down there is insane.
  18. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a pair of boots in Melbourne on Tuesday paid for them by paypal at 10.30pm boots arrived at my door on thursday {Ipswich Qld} brilliant service from the Vendor and auspost to my mind.
    Couple of months ago watched the contractor get out of his van put the pick up package slip in the mail box and leave?
    WTF the front door is literally 20ft away why would you bother?
    Theft wise my Mum has sent cash to my children for Birthdays and Xmas over the years,twice packages have arrived cheerfully emblazoned with ''Aus Post has repaired this package as a service to you"or some such nonsense yep it was repaired allright after they stole the cash.So those cameras aren't all that effective.I know she shouldn't send cash but that is not the point.
    In general though with the number of packages over the course of the last few years with the wifes ebay purchases and online stuff would have to be several hundred packages and only one has ever gone missing the average seems to be pretty good.
  19. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth we received 2 Christmas cards here in Brisbane from friends here in Brisbane last week.

Thats right.. 6 months from postage to delivery.

Great service!
  20. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate working for them I'll have to say Aus post has a very good service and for the price. Now yes some of their sub contractors are slack and I believe according to their contract they don't have to come to your door ( although the postman does) I've found that most of the problems originate with a mistake from the sender. Sometimes small thing like a wrong or no number ( the policy is to deliver as addressed) illegible writing and yes sometimes the delivery person does make a mistake. (what you've never made one) Yes they can have thieves, dismissal and police prosecution is the action. All businesses have thieves at some stage. Government business ? It operates in the same environment as any private company, it pays all the same taxes, land rates ,and has to show a profit its just the government is the only share holder, it only has a monopoly on letters and that will change eventually, lets see your private company deliver your letter from Melb to Darwin for 55 cents mate. no way ,not enough profit. :hide