Australia southern to northern tip any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Philzorz, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys totally new on here. A quick recap over the last few months. Been watching a ton of offroad riding and touring with the other half and we decided we gotta get on the bandwagon so we planning a trip from wilsons prom in vic to cape york. Iv gone out got a loan got a 2013 gs1200 lc and all our camping gear etc and we are planning our route. We have 27 days to get to cape york and back and we leave 2 weeks after i come off my lams lisence its killing me having the bike in the garage and not being able to ride it. For anyone that has done the trip any suggestions on a route to take and how long realistically would it take me 2up on a big gs from cairns to the tip and back without some sort of iron butt challange? Anyone heading up that way we leaving october 5th from melbourne so could catch up with anyone between here and cairns or even if someones looking to do cairns to cape york from around the 12th of october? Another thing was if someone up cairns way knows a reliable mechanic that could do a final service and tyre change beforey push from cairns to the tip. Got tons of questions so if anyones got some input would be awesome thanks fellas cya on the road.
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biggest response might be to re-post your query in the local Oz forum....
    https://advrider.com/index.php?forums/australia.32/

Lots of good info here...https://www.capeyorkaustralia.com/cape-york-forums.html
    this is by the locals, for the locals.

While nearly a month sounds a lot, I'd truck the bike to either Brissie or Cairns to save on one lot of commuting.
    Then use the time saved for a lower pace and time to snoop around locally on the way home (maybe best to reverse that to be able to get used to the bike/ gear/ pillioning etc on the way up)
    I'd spend at least 10 days on the Cape return stretch, another 4-5 days around the Tablelands, a couple of days around Cape Trib and hinterland, a couple of days around Cooktown, a day-trip to the Torres Strait, maybe an extra day at the Undarra Lava Tubes, a day or 3 around Hervey Bay area, Fraser Island, some beaches and shipwreck sites along the Cooloola Coast....it's endless!
    And that's before the riding :lol3
    Oct is getting late and sort of close to the Wet Season up there, keep an eye on the weather.

Some idjits even do it on posties :D
    [​IMG]

...and again!

[​IMG]

Happy trails
    Scooby1 likes this.
  3. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha thats classy on the postie looks like a fantastic challenge. We have done fraser and harvey bay before in the 4wd so really cairns and upwards is what we are looking at focusing on. I would do the truck route and did consider it but not sure if id have time to organise that now and if we seem like we are running out of time up there i will do it in reverse and truck it from cairns back here and fly to melbourne. I really hope the weather holds out for us would be pretty bloody disappointed to get up there and then have to turn around if the roads are impassable. Im allowing about 5 days maybe 6 to get to cairns from melbourne so looking at around 600km days on the bike to get up there. Iv done 8 to 10 hour days crammed on scooters in thailand and vietnam and even 2up on my little ninja 300 and although not pleasent i think we should be able to handle it. Im only really concerned with the cairns to the tip stretch.. the sand and offroad stuff and not too sure how it will go.. slow and steady i assume. We are avoiding the ott like the plague so probably just gonna spend a ton of time bobbing around on corrigations and eating red dirt.. thanks for the reply mate appreciate it
    Scooby1 likes this.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Contact Gilders Transport for a quote and a suitable timber pallet up in Cairns.
    (or call Glenn at P+M freight, he runs things at the depot)
    http://gilders.com.au/ Their depot is in Hartley St., Portsmith/ South Cairns and it took them 3 days to get the posties back to their Melbourne Depot.
    Lead time is usually a week... 2 at the most.
    You'll have to strap the bike to a pallet so they can use the forklift to move it around.

If you stick to the main road, it's sealed to about Laura now, I think...there's also 30odd km of seal north of Coen (past the airport etc).
    The corrugations are ferocious and never-ending, particularly the 2 bypass -sections north of Bramwell to the Jardine.
    Not much sand at all unless you stray off the "red+narrow."
    Do yourself (and PILLION!) the favour and let the tyres down a little.
    I've seen a good number of roadbikes up there, from GN250s to Bandit 1200s and Harley Sportsters.

Great stuff to ride and see around the Atherton Tablelands, don't miss the Daintree Rd. to Cooktown

[​IMG]
    Scooby1 likes this.
  5. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks heaps for the help i think the gs will end up taking a pallet and a half lol ah well. Yeah we are definitely looking at checking out around cooktown and spending a day or 2 we are hoping t have 10 to 12 days cairns to the tip and back to cairns but if we feel like its rushed we will hang out there another 5 days and then ship the bikes see how we go with it all. If the weather is good to us we might stay the extra time otherwise its just gonna be a rush to get that photo and head back to cairns. The wilsons prom southern point is the first place we head to thats gonna involve a overnight hike so praying ppl dont mess with my bike right at the start of the trip.. iv asked the rangers if i could hide the bike in one of their maintenance sheds but i got a firm no.. i dont see the issue to be honest anyways thanks again mate
    glitch_oz likes this.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's certainly a few out of the way corners at the Telegraph Saddle carpark at the Prom...or leave the bike with some campers at the Tidal Rivers camping area
    and hitch a ride to Tel-Saddle for the start of the track, there's always some vehicles going up....
  7. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that was going to be the plan ill play it by ear and see how it goes problem is its still going to be school holidays so wanted the bike out of sight i can picture some kids climbing all over it and dont want that on the back of my mind the whole time. Ill give it another go with the rangers when i get there might find a reasonable one to help me out.
  8. Dolmar

Dolmar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So am I right in saying that you will be basically taking the GS on yours and your missus' first major ride for 27 days, only having a couple of weeks to actually ride the bike before you go?
    Ideally you would want to do a few overnight trips to get used to the bike, sort out what gear you need, packing etc. GS1200, two up with a months worth of gear is a lot of weight. I would want to have done a fair bit of dirt road riding before I got to Cairns to be confident for the Cape and so would look at riding up and then getting the bike shipped back down to Melbourne from Qld.
    This will give you a chance to get sorted and confidence up as you go. You have a few options for your route up, either the coast, central NSW or even Birdsville Track. While the coast is obviously the most scenic way to go, its not really going to help your dirt handling skills. I think I would be inclined to go inland and to get off the beaten track a little bit. You could go Echuca, Cobar, Bourke and then to Charleville and then head toward the coast around Townsville. Like I say, most people are just going to go up the coast, but to be honest you can do that at at any time. I like being away from crowds and seeing country Australia, so prefer to get the miles in on little travelled country roads.
    Get your gear sorted now - don't underestimate weight and be pretty thoughtful on what you actually need to take -Two people with camping gear for a month is a lot of stuff and you multiply a lot of things with two. This is OK on the tar to an extent, but it will be pretty sphincter tightening if you start losing balance halfway through a creek crossing!!!!
    Again as a personal opinion, I would assess how you are going when you hit the end of the bitumen on the cape. If you are going well go for it, but dont push if you are finding the going hard. While you can ride pretty much anything, A GS is 250kg plus, before you add anything and rider and passenger - so you are at 450kg all up pretty quick, thats a handful if it gets slippery and on the corrugations. There are heaps of things to do and see up there even if you do not make it to the tip.
    My first trip up was with a girlfriends 30 years ago on a CX500. Getting to Cairns was easy, but we realised pretty quick that the corrugations were going to destroy the bike, so turned around pretty quick and just explored what e had access to on easier rodas. Was a fun trip - sounds like your will be too. IMG_4380.JPG
  9. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. So yes it will pur first long distance trip on the gs we will however be doing a test run to the prom and a few over night trips prior to heading to cairns i live in cockatoo which is close to bunyip state park which has endless dirt tracks and 4wd trails so we plan to do as many day trips as possible out there 2up to get my and her confidence up prior to the cape. We tend to go head first into things are improv on the way so hoping to be able to get the confidence up pretty quickly im a fast learner and living on dirt roads with marbles all over them and corrigations is helping me get a feel for the bike moving around under me grantes it isnt with all the gear plus pillion on there.. as far as gear goes we are just about done purchasing everything and have 2 months almost still to practise packing and minimalising our kit. I have done tons of research and went for alot of the best quality light weight stuff i could afford so we are keeping things to a minimum and worst case if we are missing anything theres a million shops between here and cairns. Last thing i need to do is get a toolkit together and a tyre repair and inflation kit and some practice with it. Im hoping to get to cairns on the new tourances i got with the bike then get a service and check over the bike in cairns and get some offroad tyres put on it not sure which still researching any input on how vital 50 50 tyres would be would be great would it be possible to do the tip with the metzler tourances on it that would save me a good chunk of cash.. anyways if anyone is in the dandenong ranges area and wouldnt mind helping a offroad noob learn the ropes at bunyip that would be awesome. Thanks fellas
  10. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    A set of Shinko 804/805s sent up to the bike shop in Cairns.
    http://shinkotyres.com.au/shop/e-804805-series/
    Good prices and service/ free freight from here http://www.motorcycletyresplus.com.au/motorcycle-tyres/shinko-805-dual-sport-rear/
    Contact some Bike Shops in Cairns to check if they stock them...or get them send up and check for fitting.

A set of those are some insurance, decent enough for road-grip and sweet on the loose stuff....and don't cost the earth.
    They DO wear about 30-40% quicker than the Tourances....and take a day or 2 to get used to.
    Even though the Bunyip is nowhere NEAR of what you'll face up there, it's still better than nothing.
    It's rather wet+ sloppy down here that time of year... while dry and marbly up there.
    Most compatible stuff would be the dirt roads and country lanes south of Longwarry, Ripplebrook, Garfield, Yannathan, Nyora , LangLang etc.
    for riding on loose/ pebbly stuff.
    Around here:
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5534&highlight=nyora

I'd be happy to help out a little with what I know (and live just the other side of Mt. D), but we're in the middle of packing up
    for a Balkans-ADV-Trip in a couple of weeks.
  11. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow awesome mate hope your trip turns out a ripper! Yeah any help steering me in the right direction would be fantastic. I work shift work so my times are pretty flexible mate so let me know when you get a minute im sure i could pick your brain on long distance bike travel. Thanks for the help
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy to talk, more on pm's