1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Australia - that's one big island

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by -Z-, Dec 27, 2019.

1. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a great night I head towards Darwin,

a short ride to get there, stopped near Adelaide river for a great pie and then got to central Darwin.

Temperature there was quite humid and as it was the wet season, lots of strong rainfall.
    But not as bad as I was expecting, you're still able to do some walks-around without getting drench every 5mins..

2 cops show-up early morning while I was sleeping and wanted to get me done for "illegal parking" the fine was up to $700 (!!!) but thankfully the dude from the reception talk to them and say " no worries mate we got a french tourist here, he probably don't know the rules :D "
    The cops walks off and I quickly move to another place with a carpark!

I can highly recommend the Chilli backpacker and the YHA just in front. Great place to stay, and secure carpark.
    They do have $10 jugs. Can't go wrong!

I stay in Darwin for a few days, doing a few parties and exploring the city.
    The MAGNT : Museum or Art Gallery of Nothern Territory is absolutely amazing, I love aboriginal history and it was full of pictures, arts, and great stuff. A few hours needed there!

While In Darwin I had 2 choices, either going south to Uluru, Adelaide and Sydney or Getting to Townsville and keep going south to Sydney, following the coast..
    Either way I had to be in Sydney to catch a flight to Vietnam.

I really wanted to go south to visit Uluru as it's kind of once-in-your-lifetime experience, plus, I had time and money to do so, but from another part I missed socialized and see more stuff, riding in the outback was great but you don't meet anyone on the road, I only stopped for fuel / pictures & food.
    Great for a few days but I needed a change. And wanted to swim also!

The "new" Darwin, featuring some fancy residential buildings w nice restaurants.
    The laguna is the only safe place to swim, as all the beaches around are full of crocs
    I was surprise to see that the laguna wasn't free of entrance.

Many backpackers come to Darwin and get to the port trying to get a job on a fishing boat, can make good money and get some "days".
    We (foreigners) need to work 3 months or 88days in a farm, food/meat factory or agricultural plant to be able to get a second visa and stay another year in Australia.
    That's also why I stay 4 months in Bunbury working in a meat factory. I needed both the days for my visa, and some money.

DSC_0802.JPG DSC_0804.JPG DSC_0805.JPG DSC_0809.JPG
    9w6vx, bomose and chudzikb like this.
  2. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enough time in Darwin, it was time to set off again!!

I decide to check again the bike, to make sure everything was fine.
    Stocked by how the bike was rock solid.. I did not even need to tighten up the chain.

I left around mid-day, going south for a short drive to Mataranka, there is some hot pools there ( I'd have prefer a cold one!)
    There's some campground spots around the pool.

Pictures don't do justice but the place was absolutely stunning!

DSC_0814.JPG DSC_0817.JPG

This was just a normal water near-by.. looks like crocs paradise :clap
    DSC_0819.JPG DSC_0821.JPG
  3. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow almost a month since the last post...

I should come here to write more often!

After a short night in Mataranka, Peacocks and Kangorous keep comming at night and woke me up several times..
    Plus the night as been extremely hot, Air goes below 28° only from midnight till 5am..

Anyway, I sort my bags up, and.... Hit the road again!

Today destination was Tennant Creek.
    Another long day in the bloody hot outback!

Trick of the day was a find a good place to sleep, Tennant Creek looked like a dodgy place and unsafe to stop, All the campground had barbed wires, lots of restrictions regarding liquor supplies etc.. Well not the best place for an overnight!

Instead I stopped 20kms earlier in a Petrol Station that had a campground. location : Threeway Roadhouse, 10$ camp, power, kitchen, restaurant and a small supermarket for small groceries

I did stop at the Iconic Daly water pub on the way, Out of time pit stop, but definitely worth a visit tho!

Great atmosphere inside :clap

DSC_0822.JPG DSC_0823.JPG DSC_0824.JPG DSC_0825.JPG
    yokesman, bomose, chudzikb and 2 others like this.
  4. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, hope everyone is doing ok in quarantine!

After a peaceful night at the threeway roadhouse, I jumped again on the Bike.
    Townsville was now 1600kms away.

I just wanted to be back on the coast as quick as possible!

Outback is great, but, really time is long when you don't meet people and don't talk for the entire day.

As the temperature was too high, it would be ridiculous to do it in 2 days, I decide to make it in 3 days to be a bit more comfy.

As usual, early morning breakfast and departure,

Road was straight for on & on & on Until I reached Mount Isa. I stayed at a small hostel there, this is actually a fair big outback town, lots of shops, and activity.
    Looks like most of the work activity is related to the mining industry, don't know if there is much work going on at the moment? I've hear the mining is going down since a few years..

DSC_0826.JPG DSC_0833.JPG DSC_0837.JPG DSC_0838.JPG

Sky wasn't looking super friendly but didn't get any rain.
  5. -Z-

-Z- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This will takes too much time to describe the rest of the East coast journey..
    So, long story short!!

After I left Mount Isa I headed straight towards Townsville, did the ride in 2 days, atmosphere was getting very humid but super happy to get back to civilization !!

I found an amazing hostel, one of the greatest i've ever been in ( and i've been to quite a lot over 4 years of travels!! )
    Swimming pool, garage, balcony... Couldn't have dream of any better!

Next day I did a day trip to Magnetic Island.

DSC_0850.JPG
    DSC_0858.JPG

Then some maintenance on the bike, new coolant, Oil & filters, sparkplugs and a general check over.
    Still hasn't tight the chain since the beginning of the trip! And no top-up of any liquid was needed!!
    I left most off my luggage at the hostel and did a 2 days loop trip up north.

Went to Cape Tribulation and Port Douglas.
    Such a nice place, one of my favorite place in the country, landscape was pristine and so different from what i've seen before in the outback. Just unbelievable!

Note that swimming is prohibited as water is infested by crocs!

DSC_0854.JPG
    DSC_0873.JPG
    DSC_0880.JPG
    DSC_0889.JPG
    DSC_0890.JPG

Finally some twities - it has been a while !!

Attached Files:

Vikingtazz, Gedrog and chudzikb like this.