Australia - The four amigos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Benji13, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not a wine person but would highly recommend Barossa to all foreign bikers. Its not only the vineyards, it was also the beautiful landscapes in that valley and the many restaurants and boutique wineries, and great holidays for couples too.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  2. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 20 continued

The Indian Ocean was mesmerising.

The photos did not give it justice. You have to come here to have a look with your own eyes.

When I grew up, I never knew what turquoise was. My family did not have any Turkish gem to show me turquoise. The school only taught me rainbow and turquoise was not in it. Now I saw it in an ocean. Terrific. I was so excited by an ocean. Sounds almost silly.
    2017 1138.JPG 2017 1140.JPG

Monkey Mia was a wonderful place inside the Shark Bay Marine Park and World Heritage Site. It was at the end of the road after you passed Denham. Is it popular amongst the tourists? I don't know. I like it being isolated and took forever to come here. Kept it from the typical tourists, that would suit me.

2017 1106.JPG 2017 1107.JPG 2017 1137.JPG

My favourite moment: beer, beer, more beer, platter of cheese, olives, salami, beach, turquoise waters, friends, after a long day of riding a GS, in my favourite T.
    2017 1103.JPG

That night, Mathias arrived and joined us for desert and cakes. Over coffee, we realised how powerful these days the Tinder app was for discreet dating. And also helpful when a smelly biker needs a shower and a place to stay when running low on money. More funny stories please Mathias.
  3. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
    With matching thongs??? Bloody GS riders :lol3
    Benji13 likes this.
  4. Pork Hunt

Pork Hunt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the map of Tassie: [​IMG]
    RedDogAlberta, third eye and Benji13 like this.
  5. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 21 - 554km

We woke up at the beautiful RAC Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort. There was some overcast.

2017 1104.JPG

Great for some dramatic shots.
    2017 1115.JPG

2017 1136.JPG

However the dolphin encounter did not happen. The creatures did not show up. Disappointed? Not much cause they were just trained to come near the beach for feeding time. The workers there were not really embarrassed either by the no show. Perhaps Holeyfin and the gang found some yummy salt and pepper calamari somewhere else and unanimously agreed to stay away from the homo sapiens.

That led me to think about the future of those sea world, ocean park, where the dolphins were asked to jump, skid, sing, clap. What was the point?!

Luckily the amigos found Nemo's friend.
    2017 1119.JPG 23722432_10214296884917689_1092199809619331089_n[1].jpg

Ok back on the road. This was already the 21st day of the trip. All amigos were still going strong. However we are all human, and are gifted with random thinking. Not like the AI's.
    23621644_10155402136943541_8485166998702417373_n[1].jpg 23658898_10214268196440495_2824773045411230124_n[1].jpg 23658535_10214268196480496_3082142750084091279_n[1].jpg

Instead of riding in a rigid formation. We slowly deteriorated into a bunch of motorcycle hooligans in any Sunday morning. First I was the culprit. Pushing the range of the GS by dropping behind out of sight. Then it was Russ who refused to test the bikes top speed like the other amigos. In between, the amigos zoomzoom passed each other jokingly. Our bums were sore and we became creative on the bikes. Lying down legs back. Then legs up. And one started to write a book.
    24131298_10155436362068541_3799174025150350475_n[1].jpg

On the way from Monkey Mia to the Overlander Roadhouse, there was no side traffic, but had a lot of marine stuff and stromatolites to see. Then we reached another establishment Billabong Roadhouse.

Later we turned right at Ajana went into the Kalbarri National Park. Lunch was at the neat little fishing town of Kalbarri. Two of us were wearing the amigo T shirts. The next tables of people in the restaurant came over to check the place names on the shirt back. When they could not find Kalbarri on the shirt, there was a small riot and the ladies were looking for a permanent marker pen to stamp their authority of Kalbarri on the shirts! Run amigos!

Then it was a 160km scenic ride through Gregory hugging the ocean all the way and reaching Geraldton. Right time for a happy hour beer in the Geraldton Hotel.

2017 1161.JPG

That evening, the amigos had Chinese dinner in the Jade House Restaurant. The Mongolian Beef on hot plate were wonderful. More beer please. The second Asian food in 21 days. Yeah!
  6. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What happened??!!
    24909534_10214452940378978_8297620584089680204_n[1].jpg
  7. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Benji13 likes this.
  8. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 22 - 462km

This was meant to be an easy Saturday. Just take the Indian Ocean Drive all the way south to Perth. Then a Sunday off in the WA capital. Find the best Laksa there. Easy right? Oh no, not like that.

Hey Russ, we have to go now.
    2017 1153.JPG 2017 1151.JPG

This stretch was within day trip distance from Perth. So we began to see some tourist cars.
    2017 1179.JPG 2017 1169.JPG 2017 1177.JPG

Not for long we passed Leeman. We stopped at Jurien Bay for coffee break. The beach and jetty were busy with families enjoying the weekend.
    2017 1191.JPG 2017 1189.JPG

There were even parachuters. They were brave people.
    2017 1194.JPG

In the early afternoon, we came to Cervantes. In high spirit we went into the Nambung NP and got to the Pinnacles Desert. 2017 1212.JPG
    Sand! A lot of sand. She was so beautifully yellow (not meant to be racist here). She opened her arms and invited us. Quietly she whispered come and I shall swallow you all fools.
    2017 1216.JPG
    Geezerguy, third eye and twowings like this.
  9. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I got stuck in Tin Can Bay QLD on that day. They wouldn't let us in without proper dress. Who wears long pants in Queensland ???
    Benji13 likes this.
  10. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 22 continued

2017 1197.JPG

When the wife is not a biker herself, it is fair that she does not appreciate living to ride is a fundamental nature of us. I believe that this applies to many married bikers. There are not that many biker chicks I have met in the last few decades.

Do I love Ducati? Definitely. Can I afford one? Probably if I sell a kidney. Did I buy one? No. Why? I needed to come home from the Phillip Island trackday on Sunday on time for dinner with my family. Ducati would be unlikely to make the 1,110km run. This was almost an unspoken agreement, and kept my wife happy. I guessed this also weighted a lot on the minds of the amigos.
    2017 1231.JPG

Back to the Pinnacle Desert. It had a lot of intriguing rock pillars that sailors in the old days mistook for a town when they saw them from the sea. Yes the desert was close to the shore. The displays there explained how the rock pillars were formed, by a seemingly unlikely process of mineralisation and erosion. Don't worry too much about that, cause the amigos were busy debating whether to ride into the sand. Deep sand. I did not want to do that. I was on 93:7 tyres. I had never been on sand prior to that moment. I was happy to relax and wait for them at the sand trail entrance.

Against my wish, and under undue peer pressure, I went in at last. An amigo said that all three had dropped their bikes in the trip, and I should at least drop the GS once now. The sand was deep. In some places 4 inches. I was prepared for the worst. Then Karma.

2017 1223.JPG

The amigo dropped the hefty GSA. Not once, not twice, but thrice. I was following him. The first time was shocking. The second time a tiny bit funny. The third time was different. I could hear the scream. The front tyre lost. The back wheel spinned. The battleship went down. His left foot was stuck under the beast and the body kept going. Shit. We together righted the heavy beast. His ankle was hurting. Please please please let it be just a sprained ankle. We were at the opposite side of the continent.

The amigo struggled but managed to ride out of the sand trail. When we regrouped, he said it hurt but he could ride. Ok we were staying with Russ' brother Darren in Perth for two nights. So a slow ride to Perth and the following day for him to rest. Hopefully he would be ok.

I carefully followed him all the way to Perth in case he needed help. He started to have difficulty to change gear and stopped the bike with the left foot down on the ground. Unnatural.

He was a tough man. A lot of ice on the ankle up and some beers. He did not want to have an x-ray.

The ankle was broken, he found out when he went for an x-ray after the trip. It must have hurt like hell for 12 days.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  11. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next time, bring a pair of pink pants and you would be fine.:rofl
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  12. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    And as a follow-up, going north to the Flinders Ranges offers truly magnificent scenery with mixed road surfaces.
    Benji13 likes this.
  13. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Pink, check. Long-short? Still not sure. What goes with flowery safety sandals?
    Benji13 likes this.
  14. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
    Long socks :hmmmmm
    RedDogAlberta, Benji13 and Fishnbiker like this.
  15. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 23 - Sunday - Fine - 272km for 2 amigos

Russ would spend time with his brothers. So two amigos did the quick ride around Perth today to look for hot Laksa. Perth is closer to the ASEAN than Sydney or Melbourne. It is a popular destination for Indonesian, Singaporean and Malaysian migrants and their cuisine. Laksa in Sydney was too sweet.

Before the trip, I thought of buying some "adventure" boots. I could not decide between Sidi and other brands. So I saved some money by wearing the old comfy touring boots.

After the mishap yesterday. I now wear Alpinestar Tech 7 MX boots whenever I ride offroad. I try to learn from others' mistake. All the adventure boots in the market only provide some level of protection. And they fail the ankle bending test. Including my once dream Sidi Adventure 2 Gore-Tex. And now I have knee and hip D3O too.

Also, no hard pannier boxes for trail riding. Only Kriega soft bag tied on the pillion seat. The boxer cylinders give some protection to the feet but you do not want the hard panniers land on your legs. They can break them.

Two of us raced north to the magic hills in the Chittering Valley. This is where the racers escaped from WA's overly open and straight roads. Some 2 wheelers scrapped knees on the 40km Chittering Valley road's lovely corners from Bullsbrook onward. Also some 4 wheel hoons slided in some blind corners and even crossed to our side of the roads. I was young once too, and understood some of these boy racers. You just take care while enjoying here.

We came to Bindoon Bakery for cakes and turned back south.
    2017 1233.JPG

Later in the morning, we rode to Mundaring Weir Road and Kalamunda for more hills and fun corners. The triple black was lively here without the luggage. You can ride the battleship really fast and respect to the German brand for making it a great toy for grown men.

Next we went to the Perth landmark, the Kings Park, for a look at the city.
    2017 1237.JPG 2017 1248.JPG

Lunch time now and we tracked down Tak Chee Restaurant. Extra sambal chili please.

Attached Files:

16. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 23 continued

2017 1247.JPG

The seafood Laksa was finger licking good, no nonsense flavour. Like eating in Malaysia.
    23622110_10212296191773707_7948630108079956149_n[1].jpg

Now we wanted more riding. Ok we still had time before dinner. So we went to Fremantle. The ride was good but the place was too crowded. We had no choice but parked the bikes on pavement. This was illegal in NSW. We did not know the law in WA. It was late afternoon and most people were leaving. So no one cared about us. Good. After some icecream, we went back to Perth.
    2017 1250.JPG

Just in time for barbie. Darren cooked a storm for us. Thank you very much.
    2017 1252.JPG

The swelling on the ankle had not subsided. Mmmm. I needed to look at the map after the barbie tonight to see if we needed to cut some mileage for him tomorrow. And we needed to see how's his ankle tomorrow morning. Let's start praying.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. bikerpaul68

bikerpaul68 bikerpaul68

Oddometer:
    I don't know about parking bikes on pavements in WA, but I once parked my (QLD-rego) bike in a free car parking space outside a café in Mandurah WA. A friendly local told me that was illegal in WA and I risked getting a ticket. He showed me a bike parking space nearby, which was good of him. I can't imagine that happening here in France, but then again you can park a bike anywhere here. Thanks for the great trip report, it reminded me of many happy days biking in Australia.
    Benji13 likes this.
  18. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I retire in Melbourne, I shall buy a HD Ultra Electra Glide and park it on the Lygon Street pavement right outside the Italian restaurant. Just because I can do it there but not in Sydney.
  19. ctydecks

ctydecks n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, totally understand, as a Baker I had/have to commute in the dark and hit a couple of wallabies on my way, lucky never came off the bike. But in the case of travelling around OZ, we started really slow at 20 km/h (I know troubling keeping the bike upright ;- ), and slowly increasing speed as the sun is coming through. But even driving during the day you have to be careful as their are wild horses, emus, camels etc on the road.
    And I totally agree OZ is expensive. Specially camping and what the campsite is offering, compared to Europe. And what you get in return.
    Benji13 likes this.
  20. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 24 - Cut short from 625km to 350km

Sorry for the slack of posting. It was Queen's birthday public holiday in NSW yesterday. Yes, I have been living in the Commonwealth for half a century. I am still amazed by the big hoo-ha of republic vs constitutional monarchy stirred up every decade. I like Queen Elizabeth II. I am sorry for the sonny boy Charles who has been waiting on the side for the crown for so long. Just imagine the improbable chance of having photo of Meghan on the wall of every classroom and places like post office and marriage registrar, and on my stamp collection. :hack

Ok we need a plan B today. The amigo managed to put the boots on not without spending a good 5 minutes. The swelling did not subside much. Perhaps it would go away after riding for 200km right?! Not really, so we cut short the ride today to make it a easy ride for the amigo. The plan of climbing up the twisty roads in the Darling Range (Pinjarra to Quindanning), the Coalfields Road (Arthur River to Roelands), Cape Naturaliste, all of this had to wait for another time.

When we arrived at Busselton after Mandurah, it was already 250km and the amigo was struggling. So we went for Margaret River for some retail therapy.
    2017 1256.JPG

Lunch was at the Leeuwin Estate. With a bottle of 2014 art series. The food was amazing. It started raining outside. Yes we could go soft today. So more bottles please. And we did finish the flowers they put on the plates too. Were we supposed to?
    2017 1259.JPG 2017 1267.JPG 2017 1265.JPG

Apparently, Elton John finished the concert there over the weekend. So the set up was still around in the estate. It would be great next time to come here together with a concert/dinner. How about Simply Red?!
    2017 1262.JPG
    I booked the Augusta Hotel Motel. One of the problems of a broken ankle was that you could not put weight on it, not to mention a GSA. Oops the rooms were on upper level, sorry Amigo for the stairs. By the way here's the key and can you bring my luggage up to the room? Hehehe.
    2017 1268.JPG 2017 1275.JPG

We went for fish and chips. It was amazing. Then walked around town before dark. It was so quiet. So different from Freemantle. WA coast had a strong vibe yet silent at this hour.
    2017 1271.JPG

Chat with an aged biker in a beat up caravan. He was really ugly. The chat went ok. Took a photo of the sign on his home mobile. Did not ask for a photo with him. He was that ugly. Ok good night. We had an excursion to catch tomorrow morning.
    2017 1273.JPG

Attached Files:

mrsdnf and Suncoaster like this.