Australia - The four amigos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Benji13, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 34 - 753km

google_place_photo.jpg

Over the years, we stayed in Delatite on many rides to the Phillip Island, the Great Alpine, and the Black Spur. We were recognised there as the best a Capella men group from northwest Sydney. That was another long and funny story.

This time round in Delatite, the feeling was different, almost exhausting suddenly. We were relieved that we had successfully finished the lap, and we would be seeing our family and going into our own bed tonight. At the same time we were wondering how's it returning to our daily life, seeing the same colleagues and friends. How intriguing our smile would be with the nice memory of the trip.
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Your memories have made an amazing story. Thanks.
    Benji13 likes this.
  3. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 34 continued

We crossed from Victoria to NSW at Wodonga. At Gundagai, we paid a half-hearted visit to the dog on the tucker box.
    2017 1608.JPG

The next familiar stop was Goulburn. Next to the big merino, another buddy Andrew was already there to meet us at the Trapper Bakery. After a fond farewell to each other, the four amigos completed the epic trip and headed home to their loved ones and beds.
    2017 1610.JPG 2017 1609.JPG 2017 1607.JPG 2017 1611.JPG

The trip took us and our wonderful adventure bikes to many corners of Oz and saw the places we planned to visit and some more. There are many highlights. The Ayers Rock, Monkey Mia, Cape Leeuwin, Longreach Qantas, Kings Canyon, Super Pit, Cable Beach... ... Oh if you have clinical depression, please do not go to Elliott.

We want to thank our wives and families for their support and appreciation to the trip. We did 20,000km in 34 days. The time was per schedule and the cost was kind of in budget. One amigo did ask me if we can go slower next time. We had plenty of stories and laughters during the X'mas parties later that month.

We dropped the bikes for a total of 5.5 times (thank you Sir D). I killed a total of 3 birds, the poor last one came home with me, tugged behind the telelevel front shock, just above the wishbone! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! As Jeremy Clarkson would say "and on that bombshell, good night!"
  4. 9w6vx

9w6vx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the RR.
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
    chilolac and Benji13 like this.
  5. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Benji13 likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the great report, keep us until we can do it in person. With a wee longer time frame.
    Benji13 likes this.
  7. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post your trip and photos. It was an enjoyable read.
    Benji13 likes this.
  8. bikerpaul68

bikerpaul68 bikerpaul68

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the great trip report. Last year I changed my 8-year-old GSA for a brand new GS with all the bells and whistles. I miss the 500 km+ range but it's so good to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when I stop (and I'm 1m90 tall). I do very little off-road riding but I don't think either bike is suitable for true off-road conditions (although they are great on sealed roads in bad condition). I once had a day off-road in the Carnarvon National Park with a mate from Charleville, and I found it hard going on the loose sand on my GSA with street tyres. My mate (a very experienced off-roader) was on his 650 GS, which seemed ideal for the conditions.
    Benji13 likes this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! I loved every km.
    Benji13 likes this.
  10. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul! I totally agree with you and that’s why my GS has TKC80 now in case I want to do the dirt anytime. The only trade off is that when it’s wet on the twisty Putty Road, the traction control light would be flashing a lot on the dash
  11. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great trip story and photos. The Sandfire Roadhouse stop has not changed much since my friends and I were stuck there in 1993 waiting on the Greyhound to shuttle parts from Broome. We spent a week with the barmaids at the 80 mile beach campground. The middle of nowhere but my kids adopted grandparents, Loraine & Baz, were managing the Pub and campground at Sandfire during parts of 2017. Over nearly 30 years and four major trips I have covered most of the lap except the Nullarbor, starting back in the days when the paved highway stopped outside Mt Isa. Thanks for the updated photos to kindle the memory cells.
    Benji13 likes this.
  12. GuyM76

GuyM76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report. Really enjoyed all of that.

I have a loose plan to buy a bike in Perth one day and ride across...
    Benji13 likes this.
  13. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate! Depending on the month, it can be much warmer here than London.
  14. Benji13

Benji13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of you reading this RR. I shall get ready soon the next amigo RR. Guess where we were riding to...
    F89C16F1-BC5A-4313-9CC9-5F311809087D.jpeg