Australian Top End Tour on a BMW 1200 GSA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beeming, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Gday all.

Here are a few pics of a 12,000 klm trip I did on my GSA recently over the top of Australia for those interested. If you have any questions fire away.

Tads

This is my bike, a 07 GS 1200 Adventure. Mods include 100 watt spotlights, Tool rack behind RH Case, Hand Winch, Powered LH case with 240 volt inverter and extra 12 volt power points mounted on the handle bars to name a few.
    This pic was taken in Broome Western Australia at Sun Set...

[​IMG]

Below. Day one and ready for a lap around the block...

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's hear about your tour.. if it's a ride report, I'll move it to Ride Reports, if it's a bike review, we're all :ear

:thumb
  3. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    No worries Gadget. We are in Ride reports, this is about right eh :D I've got near on 1000 photo's so I'll make it interesting.
    Second Stage ie the bottom half tour happens in a few months which will include the Birdsville and Strzelecki Tracks, Victoria High Lands and the Gun barrel Highway to name just a few places.

Enjoy the pics

Tads

I cut a piece of Alloy plate which moulds to the inside of the LH pannier to use as both skid plate to protect either pot when winching the bike on its side (clamps on) as well as to use as a camp table so the fly's have somewhere to land.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  4. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    If you are ever in the region of Wyndham Western Australia be sure to head off the main tracks where you will find some of the best riding territory for an Adventure bike anywhere in the world.
    This track is at the end of the Gibb River Rd which I completed prior. Don't forget to poke your head in at Wyndham and check out the crocodiles floating around in the bay. They love tourists:D

[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    These tree's get real big and some are hollow inside so the Police Farce used them to house prisoners. No Tv, no pool table and no ice cream tho. Would not be tolerated these days but what they do offer is a cool enviroment inside. It was 40 deg outside but only about 25-30 deg inside the tree.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  6. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Found a top spot to set up camp one night. There was a big flat rock about a meter off the ground so rather than unpack the tent I just inflated the air matt and threw down the sleeping bag. Woke up at 5 am and was face to face with this fella, Brian Brown the Rock Python:D
    They are armless (harmless) and docile but they can still leave a nasty bite. Most people shit their pants and kill these guys due to ignorance. Some reckon they love the bush and camping until they actually see some wildlife then they just kill it by either running over it or shooting it :huh

[​IMG][/IMG]
  7. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    These guys can dislocate their jaws to eat small wallabies and such. I'm sure he was sizing me up before I woke to the alarm :eek1

[​IMG][/IMG]
  8. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Not long after my meeting with Brian I come across a dead Kangaroo on the road. It looked fresh so I always stop and check the pouch for a Joey.
    Sure enough the little Female Joey survived the hit by the car/truck so I pulled her out of the pouch and wrapped her up.
    80 klm's up the road was a service station who fortunately had a carer on hand to look after the little one. Mint:D
    I wish people who hit animals in their cages would stop and do the same and then remove the carcass off the road as Eagles feed on it and are right in line to be hit by oncoming traffic. Saw heaps of dead eagles always near a dead roo or other road kill as they can't get clear quick enough as some have a wing span of 2-3 meters...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  9. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Typical sight in Australia. Sometimes it can't be avoided but a lot of the time you can avoid them. Riding a motorcycle, its within your best interest to take that bit of extra care when travelling roads in Aus. Kangaroos are pretty much nocturnal and sleep during the day so most of the time you wont see many.
    This one was on the Gibb River road in the Kimberley

[​IMG][/IMG]
  10. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Its rivers like this one and there are many that cross the Gibb River Road that make this road only accessible during the dry season. During the Wet season which is around December to March the road is closed to everyone.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  11. VDG

VDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk :thumb
  12. pstgni62

pstgni62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. MikJogg

MikJogg Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice Report. Sorry because of the Kangaroo,like them too...:cry
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful.. can't help but feel pity of roo road kill :(: You did good :thumb

:lurk
  15. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    Awsome work mate. I am heading up that way next dry season. Cape York first, then accross to Broome via the Gulf country. Thanks for the pics, and bring on part 2 of the story.
    Regards Bob
  16. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    this is a sweet report. You're a very nice guy, so I hope you can accept some thanks from half way around the world. Hope the joey makes it through.

Your description of the "dry season" iirked me to look up and get to know australia on a map. Do you realize how lucky you are? The southernmost point is roughly the same distance from the equator as the southernmost point in America. What's the offseason like? ever see freezing temperatures during the day? :ear
  17. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    Hope like hell you ain't done yet. I got questions. Been trying to do the Gibb for a few years, but every time I get near the road is cut. What time of year did you do it (my guess is later than June!) - and what is the road condition? I love good dirt, but with a GSA loaded for a long trip I seriously do not love sand or deep dust!! How long did it take to do the Gibb overall, and what sort of riding speeds? :ear I travel alone, looks like you do too. Best way in my humble.
  18. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming!
  19. auRoscoe

auRoscoe Cerebral Failure!

Oddometer:
    Nice one! :thumb

Waiting for more pics :ear
  20. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This sign will have all the road info on the condition of the Gibb River rd during the wet season (end of the tourist season is October to April around the start and Finnish of the wet).
    Call the Telling Bone number on the sign for more info. Most of the Causeways are paved (no bridges) but most rivers will still be flowing after the wet. I sucked water into the GS during a river crossing in the Northern territory which we will get too :D
    I have actually done parts of the Gibb River Rd during the wet season in a 4x4(don't tell anyone) and its impassable at the first major river which is the Lennard River. Could not even cross a creek heading out to Windjana Gorge on the LeopoldDowns Rd. Everything flows high and fast.

I did the road about 3 weeks ago and it was hot but in relatively good condition considering how many 4x4's use it. Its best ridden at around 100 klm per hour to stay on top of the corrugations. Got to keep an eye out for the bull dust/ bog holes peppered along the second half from the Kalumburu turnoff to Wyndham. Hit one of those at speed on a loaded bike it it could get wild :eek1
    I was going up to Kalumburu but I hit a 2 klm long stretch of Bull Dust that nearly flicked me off a few times so I decided I still had a long way to go so will attempt it at a later date, walk to fight another day so to speak. I did go as far as Drysdale Station where I camped at Miners Pool. It was just me and Mr Malone, not a soul anywhere (too hot?)

There are heaps of Gorges to explore along the way and Hema do a good Kimberley Map showing them all. Its at least 580 klm's long so it will take two days at least or longer to explore properly. Mt Barnett Roadhouse half way point along the Gibb has a very nice water hole(Manning Gorge) you can camp near for a modest fee.

[​IMG][/IMG]