Australian Top End Tour on a BMW 1200 GSA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beeming, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Here's a section of the Gibb River Rd North East of Mt Barnett...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    oh yeah ! Another Auz trip !:lurk
    keep it coming. we're tuned.
    /thierry
  3. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Prior to the Gibb River Rd there is some amazing places to see in West Aus Pilbara region like Hamersley Gorge here around Tom Price...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  4. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Windjana Gorge. Heaps of fresh water Crocodiles in here so chuck in the dog first to distract them before swimming :)

[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Track into Lennard River Gorge. The track become impassable and as it was 42 deg in the shade and a 3 klm round trip to see the actual gorge on foot I did not actually go right in. Next time...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  6. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the same deal as Lennard River Gorge. The river crossings are fine but the track gets real rocky and the bash plate on the GS is only so strong. It was about a 2 klm round trip on foot in 40 plus deg heat and the sun was setting. The Station owners wont allow us to camp near the Gorge either:huh

[​IMG][/IMG]
  7. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    For a small fee you can camp right on the edge of the water hole. Its a welcome sight after 8 hours in saddle. Mt Barnett Roadhouse 7 klm's back have heaps of supplies. Wildlife abundant around this water hole too:D

[​IMG][/IMG]
  8. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Here's a Holden Commonwhore (Commodore) that was moving over to let the big GS through. Thanks mate:D Saw heaps of wrecked cars on this trip, mainly rolled over...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  9. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    :thumbup Starts with good karma...:lurk
  10. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Beeming. The dirt doesn't look too bad from your shots. Maybe even I can make it through! You're right about dust holes and loaded GSs - they don't go. I know.:evil Keep the pics coming man, I'm entertained.
  11. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Glad you blokes like reading about this stuff :D We all know we have the best lifestyle which includes the best of both worlds ie bikes and the bush.

I covered over 12,ooo klm's in 4 weeks which included being a beach bum on Cable beach Broome for 3 days as well as becoming a handy man in Darwin to pay for my Hotel room for 5 days while I waited for tyres to arrive for my bike.
    I've been a Miner for 14 years digging for Gold out there in central WA and riding the GS about Australia is still no where near as dangerous as working in the mines was.
    It did prepare me for the heat tho and at no time did I ride without my Jacket and Kevlar Jeans (Draggin Jeans).
    The hottest it got according to my compass come thermometer was 46 deg in the shade and that was out at Marble Bar Western Australia. Summer in Aus kicks in around October but its always pretty warm in the Northern part and as said, they only get a Wet and a Dry season up there where the rest of the country get Winter and Summer.

Touring Aus is dangerous and the roads are largely unfenced so we share the roads with the wildlife including Cows, Horses, Camels, Pigs etc. Here's another pic of that little Joey still in mums pouch. His tail is out of the pouch because an eagle was dragging her out as I got there. I took some Video of me separating the Joey from her dead mum and will post on youtube soon for those interested.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  12. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Gday Chief,

Yeah the Gibb River Rd up till Mt Barnett is quite good but gets choppy after that towards Wyndham but is mostly good but it can change too so when your ready to do it ask fellow travelers who have been thru how it looks. I'll dig up a link to a web site call Explore OZ that have some good current info on the tracks all over Australia.

By the time I got to Darwin the Roads killed my front tyre tho. I was running between 28 and 32 front and 32-36 rear (loaded bike) Any higher and the soft sections would of swallowed me and made the bike unridable in the dirt. I had 4 huge bubbles like this in my front tyre but the rear was fine?? The Tourances have a week side wall it seems and the fronts are not all that good for this kind of touring on a heavy bike like the GS but until I try different tyre I'll hold my judgment till then:D The new Tourance bubbled only 600 klm's after I fitted it and I was not abusing it either. I had done a few thousand Klm's of dirt before the Gibb and will post a pic of the map marked so you can see where that is soon...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  13. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This is a pic of the rear Tourance. The damage on the tyre is what can be expected on the roads/tracks of the top end. The tyre did 10,000 klm's (5000 klm's on this trip) which is ok I guess. Pic taken in Darwin while I waited for new rubber to arrive.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  14. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Was this in the Crocodile Dundee movies? Looks familiar. :scratch
  15. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This pic shows Cable Beach Broome. You can ride down the beach about 10 klm's as its mostly hard packed sand (after the tide goes out) The tides are massive in this part of Aus.
    Take the opportunity to take a swim here as after this place there is no where on the coast to swim (heading North) as there are Crocodiles and Blue Bottles (stingers) in the ocean.
    Plenty of rock water holes inland tho. just read the signs whether or not there are crocs in some of them...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  16. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Plan to experiance a sun set over Cable beach in Broome, you wont regret it...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  17. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    See a lot of these guys out there tidying up all the road kill. Pays to slow right down as they take a while to lift off. Magestic birds and a sight to see a few of them soaring above gliding about.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  18. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    I would hate to try and change this tyre:eek1 Pic taken somewhere between Mt Augustus and Tom Price. Nice ride out here and the roads are good...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Not a soul for 500 klm's in either direction:D There's something about being engulfed in nothing but space! Adventure bikes are without doubt the best key to unlock the wonders of the world (thats deep I know:cry )
    Buntine Hwy NT...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  20. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Churches are fine for repeating the vows of marriage but what about getting to the best place for the wedding pics? Toyota Landbruisers rule out here....

[​IMG][/IMG]