Australian Top End Tour on a BMW 1200 GSA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beeming, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Overseas tourists are everywhere in these hire Landbruisers but sometimes it goes wrong. The road conditions change rapidly and can catch you out. Us bikers have sharper reflexes and could probably tell a thousand stories of near misses and of close calls that could of ended in tears but if you keep your wits and remember to drink plenty of water then the risks are minimized. Don't leave home without a Camel back water bladder... I'm serious, drink all the time even if not thirsty...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This is how I carried my water. I carried a minimum of 8 litres (6 750 ml alloy bottles, one 4 and 1.5 Liter water bladders inc Camel back) This way you can pack the water into spaces where bigger bottles wont fit. Another reason is as the old saying goes "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket"
    Carry any less and you will need to rely on water holes for your water but make sure you carry water purification tablets or similar...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  3. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Pic taken at a lookout just before Mt Barnett. These pics do nothing for what the view is really like but gives you an idea...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  4. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Probably not but you never know. The Fresh water Crocs found here are babies compared to the size Salt water Crocs grow too. Mr Dundee only delt with the Salties I think?
    I see there is a new movie out about the mother of all Crocs lunching on a bunch of tourists:lol3
    The Crocs need to be respected as its their territory and we are visiting it. I lost count of the news reports I saw of a bunch of whining fishermen who cried every time a croc took a fish off their line.
    Of coarse Mr "Parks and Wildlife" has to act and remove the "offending" Croc and take it to a Park where it will live the rest of its life in a small caged area:puke1
    In future all you will see out there are mad fishermen defending "Their" water holes, go figure...

Some Aborigines believe that a Crocodile represents the soul of their fallen ancestors

[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:

The outside scenes were filmed in the Alligator Rivers region, around the escarpment, just north of the uranium mining town of Jabiru, Northern Territory. About 260 km East of Darwin and close to the Arnhem Land border.

There are no gators in Oz, just crocs. They were mistakenly named when first seen, probably.

The "Walkabout Hotel" scenes were filmed in pub in North Queensland, I believe.
  6. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This pic is of a place called Wittenoom. They mined Asbestos here for along time before the stuff was outlawed.
    The Gov tried to kick all the residents out as the town was contaminated but a few would not budge so you will still see a few locals wandering around there.
    There is a valley ride in the mountains in there that has to be seen to be believed. The track winds its way thru the hills and is a made up of all these round river stones and the track basically follows a river.
    I did not travel all the way up it as the sun was setting and the Kanga's were on the move so I wanted to make camp somewhere around the Great Northern Highway and the Aski Roadhouse so I will get back to that one. I had my first real fall on the bike and broke off the RH Fog light which I re attached that night at camp with a few zip ties:D

Attached Files:

7. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Good to take pics of signs like this for reference along the way...

Attached Files:

8. mtnyeti

mtnyeti Caveman

Oddometer:
    Awsome report!! :clap

It was great to see the prison boab tree. I lived in Perth growing up and my dad and I took a trip up to Fitzroy Crossing and back down. We stopped at this tree but I haven't seen it since then.

Also good on ya for saving the Joey :thumb Not too many people left in the world that would do that.
  9. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic Tads.I'm heading that way for the OCR next year and all the way 'round in '10 so I'm watching with interest.

A2
  10. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    Beeming you would have noticed a few signs around with brackets on and no signs I would think. The whole Wittenoom area and thing is something the government wants to forget about, hence any references to it are gone. THe areas where mining of asbestos took place are also inconspicuous now, still great places to visit though!

Cheers
    Pilbara
  11. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Without a doubt its gods country out there eh :D Yeah there are a couple of Prison Tree's about the Kimberley and this was the first time I have seen this particular one.
    Yeah Pilbara there was a lack of signage pointing to Wittenoom now that you mention it and the signs missing on that pic I posted were taken not far from Wittenoom. It was funny riding around whats left of the town. As I rode past some of the houses, every now and then you would see the curtains crack open a bit as locals checked out the stranger that just rode into town:D
    The colours that radiate off those hills at sun set is amazing and has to be seen to be appreciated. I could not capture it on my digital camera. People asked me what my favorite place was on this trip and my thoughts always went back to the Pilbara and the Kimberlies.

Here's whats left of the road house in Wittenoom. I love these abandoned places of which there are still a few around out there.

Attached Files:

12. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Check out the colours of the worlds largest rock, Mt Augustus in Western Australia's North West. Its much bigger than Ayers Rock in fact Ayers Rock pales in comparison. Pic taken at sun up.
    Type "Mt Augustus" into Goggle Earth and grab an optic for your self..

Attached Files:

13. GS Dave

GS Dave Chicken Farmer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    A must if in Broome is a Camel ride along Cable beach but a GS ride along beach would suffice:D

Attached Files:

15. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Gibb River takes its toll on a 4x4er. I stopped to help but as these guys had used up their spare tyre all i could do was wish them luck.
    Landbruisers are common along the Gibb so chances are the next 4x4 to come pass would be one and they could lend their spare tyre to get the 130 klm's into Kununurra. Landcruisers went from 6 stud to 5 stud wheels recently so unless it was a late model like this blokes he might be in trouble. Getting a tow out of here is expensive as you could imagine...

Attached Files:

16. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Coming to the end of the Gibb River Rd (120 klm's to Kununurra) the view down to the Pentecost river is stunning.
    The Pentecost is by far the largest river crossing on the Gibb river rd and has a very rough bottom made up of boulders so its grit your teeth and rely on forward momentum to get you thru.
    It has claimed many. Was not flowing when i went thru but there was still water to ride thru.

Attached Files:

17. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    The actual crossing during the dry...

Attached Files:

18. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Common view. Around here is Emma Gorge. Its a great place for a swim after tackling one of Australia's toughest Roads...

Attached Files:

19. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Pic of a section of the Gibb River Rd after Mt Barnett heading East. Probably should add that this is the 6th time I have done the Gibb River Rd but the first time on a bike. Every time I do it it changes and the condition of it is dependant on when its graded or even if it is graded.
    Sections of road are great then depending on the road base it could look something like this.

Attached Files:

20. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This bloke was a nice Chap and was resting up after riding from Darwin to Kununurra. He told me he was going to ride the Gibb River Rd on his Giant.
    Wrong time of year mate as its getting up and over 40 deg in the shade I told him, water holes mostley all dried up and as he had no support it would would be tough. He said he had all the information in a book to get him thru.
    I wished him good luck and made my way towards the Duncan Rd where I was going to head inland riding past the backside of the Bungle Bungles down to the Buntine Hwy where I would hook back up to the Victoria Hwy nearer to Katherine.

Attached Files: