Australian Top End Tour on a BMW 1200 GSA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beeming, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    These guys are everywhere out there...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    This is a causeway and its possible to cross with a 4x4. Here its about up to the door sills. Trouble for an MC as the bottom is slippery and could end in tears if the bike slipped over:eek1

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    The pastoralists hate fires as it burns the feed for the cattle. Trouble is I saw nothing but fires out there. One fire started by a truck I was behind after he blew a tyre (on a dirt Rd). When i caught up with him and helped him change the tyre, I asked if he had seen it? He knew nothing about it...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Northern Territory up until last year had an open speed limit (unless posted otherwise) They dropped it to 130 klm per hour this year. Just as well because most people have trouble handling their cars doing 60 klm per hour:huh I would cruise on the black top at around 120 riding the Stuart Hwy heading for Darwin and a few smart arses would pass me doing 180 (probably in mums Subi) missing me by only a few feet and because of the rate of knots they were doing I would not see them coming in my mirrors. I think it might take a while for the new speed limit to take effect. Scary:eek1

I estimated that out of over 12,000 klm's i did on this trip, 10,000 klm's was on dirt roads and tracks.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Common sight...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

• Sign.JPG
      Sign.JPG
      File size:
      132.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Some roads warn you of the lack of fuel available but there are quite a few that don't too...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    You cross the Western Australian/Northern territory boarder 5 times if you take the Duncan Rd just out of Kununurra...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

8. mtnyeti

mtnyeti Caveman

Oddometer:
    Now thats an 'adventure' sign.
  9. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]No one around and looked pretty recent...

Attached Files:

10. mtnyeti

mtnyeti Caveman

Oddometer:

:lol3 But I would bet that Hilux will start right up and drive another 100K.... I've beaten the shit outta those things and they keep going. Ever see that episode of TOPGEAR when they take a Hilux and try to destroy it? They didn't succeed...:deal
  11. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Saw this sign a few times on the Duncan. Plenty of cattle grids out here too...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Yeah your right all the wheels were still attached/straight it seemed so could probably of continued on? I've seen the car on display at the studio in Top Gear but missed the episode :cry Would of been good...
  13. mtnyeti

mtnyeti Caveman

Oddometer:
    That was a classic episode. Not only did they put the poor Hillux through the ringer they then drove out to the beach on low tide and let the tide come in over it... they barely got it out of the surf... and sure enough it turned over but didn't start due to the water in the engine. BUT... they brought it back to the studio let it dry and it started!!! Amazing.. the little 4 banger was reborn.

Feel like I hijacked the thread there... for a Hilux of all things.... :lol3 Sorry for that. But I'm diggin the trip your on.. wish I was still there. Theres really nothing like heading into the bush for a couple weeks. Great riding terrain, senery and people.
  14. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    See even gravel roads get the Highway tag in Aus:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Out here cattle have right of way. On occasion they will be courteous and stop to let you thru:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    It was only just below knee height but flowing fast. Welcome sight after riding dusty roads for the last week and the first flowing water I'd seen in a while. The track I was on was supposed to be a loop road but the station owners who's property the track passed thru took it upon themselves to close part of the track without letting the people who make the maps know. Good one:huh It meant back tracking over 100 klm's to get back to the highway to continue onto Darwin...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  17. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Pulled into a Cattle station to ask where the road thru back to the stuart Highway was. These 4x4 Toyota Landbruisers are used to muster cattle...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  18. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Dingo's were introduced into Australia over 5000 years ago and are considered native Australians and are protected.
    Dose not stop some people from running over them. Found this little guy dead on the road and it was the second one I'd seen hit.
    I picked him up and put the poor little bugger under a tree. Dingo's are slowly mixing with mongrel wild dogs that usually are shot on site but this bloke is pure dingo.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    :clap

Outstanding!

Good onya blue, for saving that little Roo.

:lurk
  20. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Its one many I've saved. I own rifles, have done for years and when I was only 18 I did my first big trek up to Cape York Far North Queensland in my FJ45 Landbruiser.
    I did the Gunbarrel Hwy that year and decided to shoot my first roo late in the afternoon about 200 klm's east of Wiluna. I brought the rifles to destroy sick race horses that had cancer and such, not to hunt innocent animals but I thought, I'll use the meat for Dood my Red Heeler dishlicker.
    Anyway I lined up the roo, no telescopic sites like those girls use, and pulled the trigger. Head shot from 200 yards and down it went.
    I stood there and watched as its mate hopped over to its dead friend and then looked up at me. I never ever shot an innocent animal again after that day and decided to help the little buggers instead.
    They need it as after being a carer for a number of years you get to see the suffering first hand. The amount of wildlife that's shot and wounded and gets away to live in agony for the rest of its days is increasing.
    Thank Christ Australia has tighter gun laws which keeps guns out of wannabe hunters hands that's all I can say.
    Being an avid trail rider too i see a lot of dead Kangaroo's just lying there, the shooters just kill for the sake of killing.

I believe in good Karma and feel I've had nothing but good fortune (except when I haven't) for the work I have done with wildlife. My shed has 12 motorcycles up one end (I think hard work had something to do with them also) and a Wildlife Nursery up the other end so is my shed (my life) is balanced :D

Pic of the two Emu's or Bush Chooks I saved, they are a week old here....

[​IMG][/IMG]