Australian Top End Tour on a BMW 1200 GSA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beeming, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    These guys help the newbies learn life skills before release ie boxing and the pecking orders so they adapt to a mob better after release.
    Its like having an Uncle, Auntie and a big brother to help take the shock out of loosing your mum...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Here's an old pit that was mined years ago. Filled with water. Makes a good option to damming a whole valley like traditional water catchment methods dictate...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  3. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Heading up to Lichfeild National Park area is another place to cross the Daly river but this one has a raised causeway. Magic country out here...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. gsd4me

Oddometer:
    Great report Beeming. What`s the story on the Jaguar a few pics back? Was that saved from a horrible death too? :rofl
  6. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:

:D Yes many times. I brought a second hand tranny that the seller said was good only to find out it had no reverse gear after fitting ( ya cant trust anyone these days:huh ).
    I fitted a new heart, a 350 Chev which gave it character but.... Drove it around for about 15 years until i got sick of working on it. Now Griff the Euro Kangaroo uses it to hop all over:lol3

[​IMG][/IMG]
  7. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Just outstanding!

What time of year was it?

Thanks for the RR.
  8. gsd4me

Oddometer:
    It`s good how roos can tame themselves. At the correctional centre where I (sometimes) work there are heaps of them. When we do laps in the perimeter patrol vehicle they sometimes sit right beside the road and each time we go around we drive closer and closer to them, until they lean back because we are so close. They know we won`t hit them so they stay where they are.

We usually use a white vehicle, which they are used to but once we used a dark one and when they saw us they bolted. Probably thought we were a dog squad vehicle as they use that area sometimes too.
  9. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    The time of year of this trip was 2 weeks ago in October. It gets a bit warm to be galavanting all over Australia at this time of year but I like to travel around this time as there are fewer tourists ie less oncoming missiles.
    Allot of the tracks I did were single lane gravel and its not uncommon to catch another vehicle on your bike spesh on a GS1200.
    Some see you behind them and pull over but allot don't too so that's when you just pull over under a tree or by a creek and have a brew as riding in someone else's dust is not good for you or bike.

There was this one time where I had to overtake 3 triple road trains over a stretch of 100 klm's on a single lane bitumen highway that is the Buntine and the only way to pass was in the gravel verge dodging the road markers. The truckers know to stay put on the hard top as if they were to go onto the gravel they would shower you with stones so there is a unwritten code out there like that. As they only travel at around 70- 85 klm per hour its hard to sit behind them all afternoon as you know they have another 1000 klm's before they get to their destination ie a Port or major town.
    It all adds to the challenge traveling Australia has to offer. It pays to keep your wits about you doing these sorts of distances on a big bike and near misses are many. WA roads and tracks are in the best condition and Queensland are probably the worst as they have Bull dust/bog holes we have to contend with. Most Queenslanders I met said the same, their roads are pretty bad but it adds to the challenge of Adventure riding:D

Pic of a typical sun set on the West Coast. No China has not just been nuked, WA is lucky as they get to see this every evening...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  10. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    I took the back way into Lichfeild NP and what a good idea that was. Its tagged as being 4x4 only and I did encounter stretches of boggy soft sand but my training in the dunes near home I did prior to leaving on this trip paid off here.

Just before Lichfeild I come across a heritage listed Steam Powered Saw mill here...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  11. Uzay

Uzay Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    A good one, thanks for sharing:thumb
  12. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    The park is well sign posted and a very beautiful piece of the Australian bush...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  13. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Yeah no worries, got to thank Adventure Rider website too for providing the best place to share this stuff. Gadget and the guys do a top job in keeping it all together for us too so thanks Gadget and co.
    Must add all the prep work on my GS12Adv prior to this trip was done with the help of the good folk here at Advrider. The valve adjustment and carb sync I did at campsites made the bike run mint which is just as well as some places are very remote out there and you need to know your bike well enough to fix anything that may go wrong.

This river crossing had some deep patches, some areas over knee height and after sucking water into the GS while crossing the Daly River the first
    time I was very wary. It was cool tho, just removed spark plugs and pumped the water out that time. Motor was only idling thru the water crossing so no damage whatsoever to the GS and no oil contamination either. Having said that all those with original air intakes on your GS's, mod this area before attempting water crossings. While it might not be deep in some crossings, the water may splash up due to the strong flowing nature of river and enter intake like it did with me. I'll do the mod to my GS and post the results when done...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  14. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing country.
  15. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up there in years, thanks for breaking back the memories.

Ed
  16. Chris_GS

Chris_GS I like a big pair...

Oddometer:
    Same same- I grew up in the areas you speak of and spent a good amount of my time out there working as well.

Now I want to travel it more on the ADV bike, stop and look around.

Wonderful memories- thanks!
  17. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    5 kilometers in the track looks much like this a lot of the time going from valley views to mud flats to channel country...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  18. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Yeah Chris its good to get back to these places. I tried to do all the tracks I had not seen before and the more you look the more you find and while some tracks might not be marked on any map dose not mean that they are not there:D

These Ant Hills are huge out here. In some areas it started to look like the Gold Coast with all its high rise apartments:lol3

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    35 kilometers of pure bliss:D End of that particular track...

[​IMG][/IMG]
  20. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Another way to tour the country but I know what I'd rather tour on:D

[​IMG][/IMG]