Australian Top End Tour on a BMW 1200 GSA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beeming, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    The flat rock behind the bike is where I slept that night. What a magic feeling looking up at the stars. Completely at ease and all was well with the world:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    I nearly climbed to the top of this but then i thought it looked just fine from the bottom so I puffed away on a smoke instead...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Provided it has no broken bones or bark missing everywhere just wrap it in a tee and take it to the nearest Service station/roadhouse where most will look after it. They see a lot of the same sort of things being out there and usually someone will be a carer. But yeah if your hundreds of miles from anywhere then good on you for doing the most humane thing..

I hit a medium sized Eastern Grey like the ones I have around here on my GSX-R and I carried it on the front of the bike for at least 10-20 feet before end over ending and diving head first into the tarmac. After doing the post crash shuffle (picking up the bits and peices) I tried to pick up the bike and when I looked down my shoulder was around my rib cage. My helmet is what broke my collar bone.
    Then there was another time when i was touring out the back of Mt Isa with a mate on our bikes and he hit a roo and managed to hang onto it parking the bike and falling to the ground in agony as the roo hit his leg and damaged some ligaments in his knee. We were traveling at night so it was risky to begin with. I've had heaps of near misses and now I make sure I'm at a decent camp site before dusk.

I come across this one roo just out of Katherine on this trip who had been hit and was paralyzed from the waist down. When I got to it, it was trying to crawl away using its front legs the poor little bugger. The first car that came by I pulled over and an Aboriginal bloke stepped out. I asked if he had a rifle and as luck would have it he did!
  4. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    When i woke up I was was face to face with Brian Brown the Rock Python. He/she was cool and calm and we had breaky together before I tore off in a cloud of dust ready for a big day in saddle seeing what I could see:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Nice country out here. We are getting into channel country full on now so there are lots of river crossings....

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

• NT.JPG
      NT.JPG
      File size:
      136.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    I mentioned earlier about Road Houses/Service stations just closing down out of the blue well here's an example. This sign was at the actual Roadhouse so too bad if you were relying on getting fuel here.
    They don't tell the map people and the shire are too lazy to go put a sign out on the start of the road (some up to 1000 klm's long) stating fuel is not available (typical Gov workers).
    Who do you ask about fuel availability? Only count on buying fuel from major towns you know exist.
    This sign states fuel available at Hells Gate Roadhouse but that had ceased trading also! When I asked a Parks and Wildlife officer near here what this was all about he said "Don't worry, they make a killing helping stranded tourist" Go figure...

Attached Files:

7. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Near the NT/Qld boarder...

Attached Files:

8. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    As blokes (and some Sheilas) we love sheds so here's a pic of a shed...

Attached Files:

9. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Nothing to see here, move along:D Hells gate was operating when i went thru here in 1989 in my landbruiser but its since closed down....

Old car Bonnets are the choice for making road signs out here generally

Attached Files:

10. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    The new Front Tourance started to break up already. I've heard a few reasons why they self destruct but the fact remains the same, they are useless for outback Australia and failures are all too common.
    I've also heard Metz wont replace under warranty and BMW told me to bugger off too. If I were them, I would be taking these tyres back and examining them to help build a data base to design a better tyre!!
    Who makes a decent tyre for long distance outback touring? I've done 7 trips around Aus, 3 times on bikes and the only tyre problem I had was a blowout on the Gibb river road in 1992 on my Landbruiser.
    Its important to vary tyre pressures and the lowest I dropped the tyre pressures in the GS was 28 psi front and 34 psi rear cold.
    The rear tourance was fine, no problems apart from the many cuts it sustained mainly around Marble Bar WA due to the road base..

Attached Files:

11. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Nice water hole and a good place for a dip as it was around 40 deg. No Crocs either, that I saw....

Attached Files:

12. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    If this sign was on Tarmac it would get the pulse going but since its on gravel it gets the pulse really going:eek1

Attached Files:

13. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am using Continental TKC80s. A knobbie tire developed originally for the 1150GS and were fitted as an option on new bikes.

For what they are, they handle bitumen roads very well and are ok in the wet. On my first set I got almost 13000km out of the rear one, but I ride very quietly.

What some people do is have a TKC80 on the front for good dirt steering and a dual sport on the rear.
  14. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    I hear ya David. I will test that combination before I leave to do leg two next year. While the bike was getting its first service? I had the Tourances fitted thinking they would be a good compromise. They might be ok for smooth gravel but any way I kept the Contis and will fit the front TKC and run this with a another type of rear tyre to see if one is better than the other in real world testing.

Grab an optic at the damage to the bead that was done when this Tourance was fitted at the dealer. Not good and as its right on the bead combine this with a heavy bike and rough roads and the result could of been disastrous:eek1
    I'm buying my own tyre machine to do my own tyre changes because you just can't trust anyone else it seems. Rough handling and not enough lube would of caused this damage. It was not done on the removal of tyre as I was there when the tyre change was done and the young fella who did the tyre swap also commented on it.
    I raced a super bike for 3 years (imagine the tyre changes)and I've never seen this type damage to this extent anyway.
    The nobs where I had the new set fitted could not balance my new tyres either but they charged me for it the theiving bastards:huh

Attached Files:

15. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Not far from Hells gate I hit a stretch of new Tarmac. Prefer the gravel tho, makes riding more of a challenge...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    These Ant Hills make great Coat hangers. Note the Kidney belt. Its is a must have when doing big miles on rough roads as is the Camel back...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    I run TKC's on my F650, I change my own tires and I don't worry about balance. Haven't had a problem yet in 4 rears, haven't had to do the front yet. Change them your self and you will know who screwed up if you have a problem.

Nice report, enjoying it greatly.
  18. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    Yeah I read somewhere in Advrider to leave any weights on the rim after any subsequent tyre changes out in the bush or where ever as this weight is usually opposite the valve or other heavy spot on the rim. Tyres apparently are mostly well balanced from factory it is said. A few people in Gspot have backed this up so there ya go.
    Mind you, the amount of dust that collects on the rim after riding on dirt roads would surely screw any fine balance job perhaps?

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Beeming

Beeming Itchy Feet

Oddometer:
    One of many rivers crossed in this part of the country. Its channel country and definately not a place to be during the wet season.
    Note video camera. I brought a special mount with a quick release setup. I videoed a lot of the crossings and I will put them all on Youtube sometime time soon for those interested.
    There's a few swear words during some of them so turn the volume down if you have any kiddies in the room:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

20. rakjoe

rakjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :photog :lurk :slurp