Automatic Center Stand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joker_-_, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Joker_-_

Joker_-_ 2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer:
    Hey there,

A friend of mine (I swear it's not me) is too lazy to put his bike on the centerstand manually - he struggles to get off of the bike with his panniers on. We (friends & owners of R1150GS/A) were wondering if it would be possible to fit some sort powered (hydrolic, electric) center stand. We found out about 10 minutes ago that this thing already exists on K1200LT models apparently.

Now we wonder: how comes no one ever did that on a GS (I guess weight, gravel/offroad hazard, ground clearance?) Could some one do it and post a how-to please? :D

Anyway, someone tought about that? What are your take on the subject? :ear

PS:
    Found a post from the lazy guy himself (http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=225489)

:D

That's his bike:
    [​IMG]
  2. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wager is on the higher ground clearance. Usually it is much more difficult to wrestle road bikes up over center of a stand than higher offroad suspended bikes.

I suppose a ratchet type mechanism would be pretty slick that you could step down on a few times and it would lift the bike onto the stand. Maybe 5-10 pumps for full over?

Get on it.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Center stands are such a bitch sometimes. Great for parking in narrow spots (like in my garage between the cars) but I swear I'm gonna kill myself using one some day. That VFR is heavy!

I wouldn't want the added complexity of a power one, but something that provided more mechanical advantage could be cool.

That said, sounds like your buddy has more problems getting it OFF the stand? Well that's an issue...
  4. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    I have an extra centerstand hydraulic ram from my LT, and a friend with a GSA. I'll bring it up :D
  5. UltraPhil

UltraPhil Nobody get to Starbucks quicker than me

Oddometer:
    No, it's just that I'm always tripping over the paniers, and it's easier to get on/off the bike from the center stand. So I thought, well maybe I could directly put the bike on the cs... I thought we just had the cleverest idea but it already exists so now we are wondering if we could fit it or something.
  6. UltraPhil

UltraPhil Nobody get to Starbucks quicker than me

Oddometer:
    If it work, that'll be so great !
  7. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    Take a look at an early 50's Vincent twin. Many of them had a centerstand that was operated by a handlever. I've used one and it was a breeze to operate.
  8. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    They were on the series D bikes only.
  9. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like many other things, I've found putting a bike up on a center stand is all about technique. Although the design of the center stand plays a huge part in how easy it is, any bike built in the last 10 or 20 years should have a suitably well designed stand. A good "foot" and nice long lever on the stand make it easier.

If you're bike is lowered it will be harder to put up and bikes with oversized tires or long travel suspension may be too tall for the stock stand to actually hold a wheel off the grand.

To put it up, balance the bike and lower the stand with your foot.Place your hands on a good, solid, accessible area the subframe. The further rearward your hands are the easier it will be (as long as they're not awkwardly far back. Put ALL of your weight on the end of the lever. The bike should now be standing straight up with both wheels still touching the ground and the stand firmly planted. Now just pretend like you're doing squats and push down with your legs and pull up with your arms. The bike will "roll" up the ramp part of the foot. And it's up in the air.

I weigh 130 pounds and have been able to put any bike I've tried up the center stand, including our vfr800 and the homemade stand on my father's KLR. It's ALL about using your body weight and the stand's built in leverage to your advantage.
  10. Joker_-_

Oddometer:
    No, it's when he gets off of the bike: he gets stuck on the side cases handle. He's not THAT tall so...
  11. Joker_-_

Oddometer:
    Great idea! that might be easy, cheap, simple and light!
  12. Joker_-_

Oddometer:
    It's not a problem with putting the bike on it's centerstand, it's a matter of putting the bike on it's centerstand WHILE on the bike, so he can unmount the bike without any hassle. Thanks for the tips tho ;)
  13. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I understand now, reading comprehension fail on my part :rofl

If you guys ever get something working let us know. It can't be that hard.... in theory:D
  14. Joker_-_

Oddometer:
    Sure thing! We'll keep this thread posted and we're looking forward to the guys with a spare motor from a k1200lt. I think I'd like the rachet idea even better tho. Call me old school but I prefer manually operated hard steel to automatic eletric stuff, when it's simple.
  15. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Shorten the legs of the stand so the rear wheel lifts only 1".
    Increse the length of the lever you step upon.

Make sure both feet of the stand are touching the floor when you try raising the bike.
  16. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why doesn't your friend just put the side stand down after stopping and then stand up on the foot pegs to swing his leg over the panniers? That's what a very short friend of mine does on his GS.
  17. JPSpen

JPSpen At Large

Oddometer:
    Exactly... Put the bike on the side stand... Put your left foot on the peg and get off the bike.. Then, Put the bike on the center stand... Once both of the center stand legs are on the ground and your weight is on the foot... The bike isn't going anywhere...

BMW stands are fairly robust just for this purpose..

Good Luck

John
  18. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    I have one on my C Shadow.
  19. Happy BMW

Happy BMW Litter Box

Oddometer:
    i remember seeing something in an old wunderlich catalog about 3 or 4 years ago
  20. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    OE was a rear stand.