Autotrain Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by jaydee1445, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    we need to come up with dates if this is going to happen at super saver rates
  2. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    based on 7/4/19, one person ticket is around $100 bucks for a top level seat in train. and a motorcycle adds $150.
    if you want a bed add another $170.

I was on it with my car (suv) in January.

The train was 2 floors, I saw one compartment down low that has like 2 seats facing 2 seats.
    the top level is sort of like nice airplane seats, with much more leg room than an airplane). they recline much more than airplane seats.

I think you can check in as early as 11:00 but you need to are required to be there by 2:30 (check the website).
    I think train pulled out around 4:00?
    (bring some lunch, the food in VA sucked, it was like stale sandwiches that didn't even have dates on them for like $10.00)
    about 1/2 the people were sitting alone (empty seat next to them) but I was not that lucky.

they supply dinner and breakfast. Dinner was (meat, fish or veterinarian) including ice tea water or coffee. it was pretty good. Drinks cost about $7 each but I think I saw people with bottles coming on board :).
    breakfast was like box of serial, some danish, a banana and coffee milk or orange juice (note, if you plan on eating with someone, go to meal with them as they set the next 4 in line at each table)

It was a comfortable ride but you really sleep that well in even a first class airplane seat.

according to my GPS the train ran around 70 miles most of the night, accept somewhere about 1/2 way they stop to change crews and fuel up engines.
    a couple times we slowed down going through very large freight yards. I also remember the engine would blow the horn at every road crossing, which was about every 2 minutes.
    I was in the first passenger car, with a lounge car, 2 dinning cars and I think I kitchen car between me and the engine so the horn all night was not bad (but would hate to live long the tracks :( )

We got to Fl around 7:45 am with a scheduled arrival time of 9am. Problem was the station was not open so we had to wait in train.
    this train is around 1/4 to 1/2 a mile long, so they pull off the railroad cars with the bikes and cars into groups of 3 or 4 and unload them.
    I don't think I waited more than an hour to get my car back. for bikes they have these flat platforms with wheels that they strap your bikes onto (made just for bikes) than they put them onto the railroad cars.
    Oh, and they video tape everything in case they need to o prove they did not put that dent in your car.

all and all I figure it was priced pretty good. i got me and my SUV to FL for under $500 bucks. the transport guys wanted around $700 plus I would have had to pay airfare and someone to drop me off and pick me up from air ports.
    kvango and Philip Kuntz like this.
  3. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Towpro, great info. $350 is reasonable for 2 people and a bike. Just need to pick some dates. Looks like they will be pretty far out, I don't really have a preference.
  4. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    there are some saver fares $112 in time to do RDV and there are $95 super saver from Va. to fl after RDV.
    We talked about doing the return trip on the train when tired for a week of riding last time.
  5. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. lucadvrider

lucadvrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Thinking of doing this on Sept.
  7. dewaynehasty

dewaynehasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've done bike trips using the auto train many times. Really makes it fun. I prefer to use it at the beginning of the trip rather than at the end because then less stress trying to make it to the train on time. Also the sleeper cabin is well worth the cost....they have showers on those cars as well.

Have fun!