Autumn ride to Telkwa Pass

Discussion in 'Canada' started by uncle milkbone, Oct 6, 2019.

1. uncle milkbone

uncle milkbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd thought of going to the KTM Rally at Rossland, but dreaded the 3100 km round trip drive. As it turned out, I lucked out because the weather wasn't great at the Rally, while clear skies prevailed all weekend in northwest B.C. Perfect weather for a late season ride into Telkwa Pass!

[​IMG]
    This photo I took a few years ago from the opposite side of the valley gives a taste of the spectacular scenery in the Pass. Steep mountainsides with various glaciers above.

[​IMG]
    Google Earth view of the Pass area.

It's a +/- 60 km ride to the pass access road on a mainline FSR from the highway near Terrace, then 10-15 km on a gas pipeline access road into the Pass. It's an out-and-back day trip unless you ride all the way through the Pass and then take another FSR to the highway at Telkwa, near Smithers, but then it's about 225 km on the highway to get back to Terrace.
    Inmates occasionally include Telkwa Pass in their trips through northwest B.C. My favourite read has always been eemsreno's trip through on their way north. Impressive with the loaded S10s. It's not an easy ride but the scenery is spectacular!

[​IMG]
    Copper River (Zymoetz River on most maps) FSR and the Howson Range. Telkwa Pass is out of the photo to the left of the Howson's.

[​IMG]
    Start of access road into Telkwa Pass from the west side. The road follows along the base of the peaks in the background.

[​IMG]
    This deceptively steep and rocky hill always strikes me as the crux of the ride through the pass, regardless of which direction of travel.

[​IMG]
    Looking back along the pipeline access road. The road stays above a chain of lakes in the pass.

[​IMG]
    Road gets a little rough in places.

[​IMG]
    SxS's and quad traffic keeps the alders at bay.

[​IMG]
    Rockfall, glacier icefall and snow avalanches can reach the road, so gotta keep your "heads up"!
  2. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been a long time since I went through there with a buddy on 950 Ktm’s. it is a beautiful place.
    uncle milkbone likes this.
  3. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful area I worked up there in the 80's I remember JT Thomas flying some of the crew to the Copper for a little fishing, can't remember there being a road then :hmmmmm amazing country nice pictures
  4. uncle milkbone

uncle milkbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Copper FSR ends at about km. 60 so you might have been flown further upstream? Limonite road into Telkwa Pass cuts off from the Copper around km. 53.
  5. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @uncle milkbone , thanks for posting. Great photos and info, I hope to get up there next fall....although it may be in the cage with wife and dog....:(
    uncle milkbone likes this.