Aux. lighting & 12V tank bag install

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sailah, Mar 9, 2006.

1. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I recently ordered the PIAA/light bar from two headlight ernie and decided to tackle the project yesterday as it has warmed (to 40 degrees:lol3 ) and I also figured that I would tackle the 12V lead for my tankbag install since it involves right side surgery anyways.

Guffaw, chuckle and chide all you want, this was an experiment.

A little backround on what I wanted:
    • More lighting (I've owned this bike less than a week...but hey, who doesn't want more lighting?)
    • 12 V lead direct from my battery to my Tank bag for powering AutoCom, cell phone recharging, XM radio, Yaseu HAM radio for bike to bike, and cig plug for air compressor etc.
    • the lead also will function as a quick connect for the battery tender
    It needed to be:
    • relatively cheap
    • rugged
    • clean install
    • tank bag needed to be removeable with minimal fuss and disconnecting wires
    • waterproof
    • lights should integrate seamlessly to high beam switch
    So here's what I did:

Bike:

[​IMG]

Most of this needs to be installed on bike or in tank bag:lol3 Just kidding

[​IMG]

First, I made up the battery end of the pigtail, I did not worry about fusing it as all components are fused individually. I know the fuse is there to protect the wiring, but I din't do it. so there.

[​IMG]

I used 14 g marine pretinned wiring, sheathed in sheathing:wink: , with adhesive lined shrink tubing. Expensive stuff, but I didn't need much. The adhesive tubing is awesome, makes a truely waterproof connection. All Ancor stuff.

[​IMG]

I then disassembled the right side of the bike. This was my first undressing, mostly smooth made very easy with one of these:
    [​IMG]

Here's the underside of the headlight assembly. Horn has been removed for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the light kit from Ernie. They are 35 W PIAA lights mounted on a slick alum bracket that bolts right where it looks like it should.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the lights installed

Wiring harness I stuffed into the front of the frame. I had to move it around so the forks wouldn't hit it at full lock.

[​IMG]

Here the relay location. It's pretty tight when the forks are at full right turn, but still enough room.

[​IMG]

Switch I mounted in the glove box. Drilled a hole to stick the wiring through and then epoxied the switch down and also sealed up the hole. Wires run to the harness. The high beam switch I tapped into the wiring harness to the high beams with a splice connection. Elec taped it sealed, zip tied away.

[​IMG]

Here's the lights mounted.

[​IMG]

I tested out the lights last night. Here's my thoughts.

Everything works fine. The 950 stock lights aren't that bad anyways, the aux PIAAs don't seem to really make a huge difference. In fairness I did not go for a ride, but shone them on a shed I have. I will retry them while driving and post the results.

The biggest problem is the reflection of the lights on the screen they shine through. Very bothersome. I am going to remove the screen, remount the lights farther forward to see if I can eliminate the scattered lighting.

All in all, I was glad to get the kit and I think it just needs some minor tweeking to work just fine.

The harness was made for a car so the leads are way too long. I cut it down whenever possible and recrimped.

Here's a shot of my tankbag pigtail. I'm still working on the internals but so far it has: Autocom installed, XM radio (I mounted a steel washer on the top of the bag for the antenna, 12V lead attached), spot for my cell phone.
    Yaesu VX-2R with 17" Diamond antenna is on the left side of the bag, antenna sticks througha small hole and wraps around the front of the bag.

I thought about mounting the XM on the handlebars, but decided against it because it is one more lead to connect, can get wet, XM antenna somewhere, another shining electronic gizmo staring at me etc.

This way, I can unzip the tank bag, unplug the pigtail, grab my GPS off its touratech mount and go.

I also bought a Blue Seas fuse box to hardwire acc to. I decided against it as well. It is kinda bulky, most of my 12V acc need cig plugs and I don't want to go the route of dissecting the plugs or buying high dollar cords. Most of them like cell phone and radio are just charging so who cares if the plug comes out. I bought 5 feet of bungie cord to take care of that.

[​IMG]

I will finish up the bag soon and show you the final results. Lights lit up will be posted tomorrow.

Oh and an aside. I'm coming off a Duc Monster, bought the 950 on an impulse, have owned it for about a week. My thoughts:

It friggen rips, WAY faster than my Ducati. I was pulling 2nd gear power wheelies without even trying very hard.

The power is decieving, it comes on hard and fast. Sounds pretty tame next to my Ducati, but my Lord is it quick.

yesterday was my first real ride. About 50 miles in southeast MA down to Horseneck beach. I was riding fairly conservative due to the cold wet roads, but started gaining confidence and was really heating it up by the end.

After my ride, I took it down to the beach near my house, and ripped across the rocks in pinned second gear. It just ate it up. No feeling of squirreliness, bottoming out, just in the zone. This is my first DS bike, so I really didn't know what to expect.

I LOVE this bike!! I now see what all the fuss is about, and even with the potential problems I am sure to encounter, the grin was plastered all over my face yesterday. On my second beach pass, I was singing the Top Gun song "Highway to the Danger Zone" at top volume, glad I was alone:lol3

Anyways thanks for listening to me gush.

P
  2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    and this was on page 51........ from recent. So, how did you like the lights now Sailah?:ear
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    They are okay. No slander to the maker, just don't seem to make a huge difference. I should have wired them to be on all the time, as I think they aid in visibility. When I'm not working on the 4000 other things I want to do to my bike, I'll swap in the 55W bulbs in lieu of the 35 w stockers.

Tank bag install has been the best mod to date. I love having a hot 12V lead in my bag for charging low drain devices like phone, XM etc. Plus, pigtail is there for battery tender. Unzip bag, it all comes with me except for GPS.

The newness of the bike has worn off, along with some paint, stripped bolts, dented rims....:lol3 I need to hire Pyndon for a week.
  4. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Sailah,

try the 55W, they are visible day and night, intriguing stance of the lights behind the grill not-withstanding.
    For my part i upgraded also to Euro Headlight and swapped white light 55 W bulbs for both H3 (high beam) and H7 (low beam),
    I see very well at night