Auxiliary LED Lights - MondoMotos

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by The Toad, Dec 27, 2011.

1. lolibater

lolibater Northern California ST/ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Do you know when you might be getting the MM10 lights back in stock? Any reason the MM10 is 2x the price of the SE10? I have always used the MM10, but am considering the SE10 since it's in stock.
  2. dfoustou

dfoustou n00b

Oddometer:
    Same here too...in a previous post Brian mentioned that the SE10 use a generic chip.
    lolibater likes this.
  3. headshrink

headshrink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian, I just received the ebay MM10 set. I love the amber filters, and although they project less light, I feel even MORE visible in traffic, and know the lights are a lot less dazzling to oncoming traffic with them.

(edited)
  4. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Ruh Ro... :dirtdog
  5. The Toad

The Toad on the go since...wait. where am I ?

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the slow reply I've been trying to keep up with things but even after pulling back on the website, its still been quite difficult and ebay isnt making it any easier.

USED???? Unless someone swapped them out in the mail that wouldn't be possible. We dont have used sets.

If you want to return them let me know Ill send you a prepaid return label and have a refund sent.

Ride Safe,
    -Brian
  6. headshrink

headshrink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for letting me know. I was confused because the set I got didn't look "factory clean." There was grime and some scratching under one of the lenses, and the paint was chipped at the mount on one of them; so I assumed it had been installed. Because you released such a small batch on ebay (and at a reduced price), I thought maybe you were clearing old stock, and might not carry it anymore. I was just glad I got mine. I'll keep the one I got, no need to replace it. Thanks for offering though.

I was unclear about the language "behind" in the instructions about installing the amber filter. Does it go: LIGHT->CLEAR->AMBER->CAP, or LIGHT->AMBER->CLEAR->CAP? I just left out the clear altogether, and installed the amber filter by itself. Is this good, or is there some design purpose to using both?
  7. lolibater

Oddometer:
    Any word on restocking of either of the kits?
  8. The Toad

Oddometer:
    Hello ADV'ers

Ive gotten a few PM's from folks asking what happened? or where did you go? or .....

As I have done my best to be as open and honest as possible about MondoMotos I figured id take a few minutes and reply to those who may be wondering and havent PM'd me.... so here it goes:

MondoMotos is still somewhat kicking... well breathing anyway. Just got way too busy with other things to keep up with it.

As for the MM10 light kits, we went through 3 different suppliers since 2011 trying to keep giving the best stuff for the lowest price and keep up with technology.

Our most recent supplier went belly-up near the end of last year. Even manufacturers overseas often cant make enough $$$ to stay afloat.

Truth be told we had so many issues with quality (frequent DOA's and cosmetic issues) with the Version 3 lights from that supplier we were barely breaking even and began investigating other suppliers/products and even looking at developing/manufacturing that same light stateside (and overseas) in the end the cost to do so wouldnt allow us to continue to sell the light at the $100 price range.

I had seriously considered going back the Version 2 light (without the ability to use a filter) as this supplier had a much better track record in terms of failures. There was and continues to be a nagging issue with those (Version2) lights fading/bronzing over time. Sometimes quickly. Instead of selling a product I knew would have a problem, I made the decision to take a step back for awhile.

As of now, we are only offering the SE10 kit, which is about half the price of the MM10 and has proven to be just as effective and reliable as the MM10's originally were. Lower production costs (different cast and chip) make it less expensive to produce. Same wiring harness and switch options.

Somewhere in this thread are a few reviews of the light. They are very slightly larger diameter than the MM10 (2.23" vs 2.00") they are the same length (depth) however and have the same output in terms of volume of light.

[​IMG]

We were selling these Kits on ebay, but that turned into a bigger undertaking than I had hoped for - on a side note I still cant believe no one has ever come up with a viable option to ebay :dunno

We do currently have a few of the SE10 kits on hand (PM me if you would like one - $49.50 shipped conus).

In short, MondoMotos is still alive... just laying low and looking into new products. Keeping the price low and still being able to survive on its own is the tricky part.

For any out there that ahve run there own business or are part of a small company, you know that staying afloat isnt easy and relies heavily on word of mouth from happy customers. That said "THANKS!" to all who supported MM over the years and the many who came back for more...

MondoMotos - "5 years and going of not pissing off too many people and only being scammed by a few"

Ride Safe
    -Brian
    Solo Moto likes this.
  9. lolibater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up Brian. I know how it can be difficult with all the suppliers going belly up. My V2 lights are still kicking strong after many thousands of miles! I'll make sure to PM you when I'm ready to get the next set for my GS.
  10. headshrink

headshrink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation and transparency, Brian. It always fosters trust and loyalty within community.
    I always like to support the little guy, and hope you guys are able to hang in there and find much success. I recommend you too whenever someone asks about your lights! I'm sorry to hear about the supplier problems, I never knew there was a problem beyond the bronzing. I know I would personally pay a little more, but because the price point was so low to begin with I also didn't mind small blemishes like this anyways... not too much anyways, and I always ordered more. I considered painting my bronzed units with an epoxy paint, but never got around to it. Regardless of the direction you guys go, I hope you're still able to enjoy it; it is a blessed man who has a job he loves!
  11. lolibater

Oddometer:
    Brian, I'm considering ordering a kit, but have a question. Can you give me the dimensions of the buttons switch that turns the lights on and off?
  12. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had experience with 2 sets of the MM10's. The first set went on my Caponord in 2012 and to this day I believe they are functioning like new for the current owner of that bike. The 2nd set was purchased for my friend's NC700X in late 2015. Unfortunately one of them has dimmed and the housing turned bronze over time.

Customer service was great when ordering both kits and when ordering new handlebar switches to fit to both of them.

Glad to see that you're working behind the scenes to work out the bugs. I hope to see Mondomotos thriving again in the near future!
  13. caffeinated

caffeinated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got 50K on my V2 MM10's, and they are still working great. The bronzing doesn't bother me, and makes them look custom against the black bike. Just ordered the SE10 lights since they were so cheap, and it's nice to have a backup.

Hope MondoMoto's hangs in there!
    Solo Moto likes this.
  14. Solo Moto

Oddometer:
    Just ordered an SE10 kit for my wife's DR200. Now how to mount....?

Well, no I didn't. MM oversold remaining stock and refunded my payment. Hmmm...
  15. raptorluftwaffe

raptorluftwaffe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Honda AX-1 ( 1988 )

2 x 27w chineses aux
    2 x 10w chineses aux
    2 x H4 chinese LED headlights

4000km in Argentina ...no problem !

[​IMG]
  16. The Toad

Oddometer:
    Hello once again ADV'rs,

as mentioned in a post back in February, I've been taking the past few months too catch up on life and searching for/working on a product to replace the MM10 light. Well long story short, mission complete.

Dubbed the MM15, its an ULTRA compact Auxiliary LED light using a single 5W chip.
    [​IMG]

Compared to the MM10 its smaller, lighter, draws less current and provides ample lighting in terms of being seen.
    [​IMG]
    MM15 compared to MM10

I've been field testing the lights for the past few months and they've been subjected to a fair amount of abuse - both on road (cagers take notice) and off road (water-crossings, rough terrain, etc) and have passed with flying colors.
    [​IMG]

I've never been intentionally dishonest (unlike one reseller in particular here) about anything MondoMotos has offered over the years and in the spirit of full-disclosure:

In daylight conditions both lights (MM10 vs MM15) provide an equal amount of "conspicuity" too on-coming traffic. In the dark, the amount of forward lighting is very near equal up to about 100 ft. That said if you have a good OEM headlight (Vstrom comes to mind) neither the MM10 (or an eerily similar to the MM10 light being sold that draws 20w per - I know because I passed on marketing these a couple years ago) nor the MM15 will change your life after the sunsets.

[​IMG]
    MM15's @ 150 feet

You might ask - How is that possible that a 5W chip can compete with a 10W chip? Well Jimmy its all about the lens. A good quality lens goes a long way towards making a good light. Simply put, the MM15 is manufactured with a better quality lens.

[​IMG]
    Close up of MM15 (mounted on Triumph Bonneville)

As always keeping the price low the kits are priced at $69. Yep. $69. As was once famously said -"Do not let the low price fool you". The MM15 is a well designed and well built light and the price includes our purpose-built wiring harness and switch (same used on the MM10 light kits).

Summing it up - The MM15 is an ultra compact, well made LED auxiliary light that helps you to be seen by oncoming traffic and provides a very near equal amount of forward light in the dark to that of the MM10 (if youre looking for something to "light up the night" - look elsewhere - be cautious and do your research with that)

I took to offering these sloooowly and did no advertising on the first run. Last week we sold out of the initial batch of the MM15 light kits, but are taking pre-orders on the website and expect to start shipping again on or about June 9th.

Questions, comments, concerns... post, PM or email.

Here in the Phoenix area we are closing in on the "way too hot to ride" time of year... but riding season is here or near in most of the U.S. and I hope everyone has a great 2017.

Ride Safe,
    -Brian
    Solo Moto and Magile like this.
  17. Solo Moto

Oddometer:
    Well then, these may be an inexpensive solution for conspicuity lights for my wife's DR200. They don't have amber lens covers though, right?
  18. The Toad

Oddometer:
    No filters for these ones. It may be something in the future, but not likely as the filter option didnt prove to be extremely popular.

Ride Safe,
    -Brian
  19. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried to order but it looks like you're only shipping within the U.S.
  20. The Toad

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. We changed hosting sites recently and started offering free shipping within the U.S.

As of right now the site is set to only allow for U.S. shipping.

I have to ask the webmonkey to update the shipping options to once again allow for overseas shipping.

I'll update the thread once thats taken care of.

Ride Safe,
    -Brian