1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Auxiliary sidetank project for BMW Xchallenge

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Max Kool, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    I was riding with Spiros and he probably weighs in at 220 loaded. I immediately questioned the psi in his air shock and he claims he was running 110-120 and I suggested he needs to put in more air and firm the bike up a little. Don't forget that the shock loses pressure.

Anyway, with the cut-out on Spiros tank I would've thought this would not have been a problem.
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    So we can conclude two things?
    • There was too little air in the shock, really. 110 psi is too little! at least 135 psi @ 220 lbs and a full X-tank next time please. Remember the X-tank adds some 15 lbs in total when full. This weight is carried further to rear of the bike than where the rider weight is carried. For the shock this can easily be seen as the rider weighing an extra 20 to 25 lbs. This could easily have damaged the airshock.
    • It still should not have happened...
  3. Erik RS

Erik RS Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer:
    So did I :cry
  4. Nopork

Nopork Dickhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will using the Ohlins BM636 shock on the X-Challenge cause any interference issues with the tank that you know of? Anyone using this setup have any problems hitting the tank?
    Thanks.
  5. Erik RS

Oddometer:
    Afaik just the contrary. Conventional coil-overs don't bottom he way the airshock does. Max Kool and somebody else in the neighbourhood ride around with the first generation tanks (without the recess) on Hyperpro shocks and don't experience any problems.
  6. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As shown above, the tank also fits the Xcountry. (Thanks to joncus)
  7. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    I haven't revisited this thread in a while and realized that I never posted the final chapter. :D

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDMyMzU2NjY2Jms9a0ZVWm4mYT02NTYwOTU1X2pUWGZTJnU9cmVkYnVsbGFkZGljdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDMyMzU2NjY2Jms9a0ZVWm4mYT02NTYwOTU1X2pUWGZTJnU9cmVkYnVsbGFkZGljdA==" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Those vids are pretty good. Thanks for sharing. :clap

Got a good chuckle from that one guy "pedaling" his F650 Dakar past you at about 60. Very realistic! Also interesting to see how different bikes and riders handle the same difficult chunk.
  9. ducwad

ducwad Livin' the dash

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to note that the frames for Dirt Bagz fit over this tank just fine. In case anyone was wondering.
  10. Erik RS

Oddometer:
    CHEERS :thumb
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Please post a pic or two if possible :thumb
  12. ducwad

ducwad Livin' the dash

Oddometer:
    As soon as it is upright again. I'm doing a slooooow install of a Rekluse at the moment so it's been napping in the garage the past few days. :)
  13. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    We made the press!! [​IMG]

For those of you living in Germany or Austria, check the current issue of Enduro Abenteuer, page 9.

( I have to admit, it does make me kind of proud)
  14. ducwad

ducwad Livin' the dash

Oddometer:
    Here you go...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. ciropetiro

ciropetiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today i have been testing my new xtank. After about 140 km side tank was empty and main tank full.

[​IMG]
  16. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    So you can confirm the TT "racing" gascap is as airtight as the stocker (which is a must for the Xtank to work properly).
  17. ciropetiro

ciropetiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it works with both gascap, standard and TT
  18. PaulXC

PaulXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spot on! - cheers

Paul
  19. PaulXC

PaulXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Questions on the XTank ...

Being a lardy chap and checking in at 120 odd kg kitted up, if I have my dirtbagz packed and a tail bag, and then a full Xtank hanging on my Xchallenge...

1) would the rear subframe handle the load?
    2) would the airshock handle it?
    3) is the Xtank gonna hit the chain?

I see that I can put 150 odd psi in the shock and according to the manual the shock would handle 150 kg but would I be pushing my luck?

Thanks

Paul
  20. Erik RS

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,

I don't know about the airshock, but for the rest we shall have proof in abt 7 months :D
    I prepped Walter's bike for the Sibirsky Extreme Project . If you go through the story you will see that we load quite a lot on the bike, though I must admit that I tried to avoid loading everything at the rear. The luggage rack also has attachments quite low at the subframe to spread the load. Taking 5 litres extra in the XXL-Xtank adds another 4 kgs. Walter weighs over 90 kgs I guess. On my (and other's) advice though the airshock was replaced by a proper coil-over.