Auxillary Fuse Box Wiring for Canbus

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Edder B, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    I just traded my GS for an '07 GSA. I took the auxillary fuse box off of the GS and now want to put it on the GSA. I had someone do it for the GS and don't know where to wire it. Anyone have a diagram or instructions for wiring and auxillary fuse box?
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of fuse box is it? on the 12GS, to avoid messing with the CANbus, you hook it up directly to the battery, positive to +ve and negative to -ve.
  3. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm not an electrian but here goes. There is wiring to the battery which I understand. Then there's a small black box (I can't remember the electrical term) that was wired to a wire by the fork. I believe it was the parking light so that the auxillary fuses turned off when the key is off. I could wire it directly to the battery but prefer to have everything off when the bike is off.
  4. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    There are a LOT of threads here about wiring up either the Centech or the Blue Sea. From what I've seen most people pull the switched power from either the Diagnostic plug, the accessory socket, or the running light up front. They use that power to activate the relay "small black box." Personally I pull my switched power from the Accessory Socket.

Here is just one thread on different methods of installation http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262912
  5. GB

Oddometer:
    On the 1200 you can do the same thing, go to the parking lamp in the headlight cluster and take a lead from to a relay. You need a relay, you can't put the fuse box to run off the parking lamp wires. The relay just triggers the fuse box on and off so it cuts out with the key. If this is too complicated for you, just call Touratech and buy their "canbus helper" which is a small fusebox with a built in relay and fuse: 2 leads to the battery and one lead to the parking lamp or the green/red wire of the accessory socket. The built in relay will turn on and off the little fusebox, and you can hook up your accessories to it.
  6. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and links. I couldn't remember relay for the life of me. Does anyone have a picture of where the diagnostic wire or the parking light wire?
  7. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    My buddie had these connectors (sorry don't know the name) which then just slipped on the other side of the pin inside the housing (blue/green wire). No splice or tap needed. If want to put back to stock I just pull the wire and buy a new end cap or seal it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. strsout

strsout Banned Camp

Oddometer:
    Coupe questions:
    is it safe to do on a R1150GS too?
    Which connector did you connect witht that wire?

Thank you
  9. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    In short, for your bike i have no clue!:dunno
    I connected the diagnostic wire, which some believe to the the holy grail of switched power for the 1200gs at least!:ricky
  10. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:

Do you still use a relay or do you wire the auxillary power straight into the diagnostic wire without a relay? You guys are a great help :clap
  11. GB

Oddometer:
    The power from this will trigger the relay on or off. So, if you have a fusebox and you don't want it live all the time, you need to add a relay and run it to the above socket.

The easiest solution for you is to get the Touratech canbus helper and plus in that power wire to that socket, and run 2 leads to the battery and you're done.. the relay is built in and it's about $35 or so..
  12. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks for all the help.
  13. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    [hijack]

GB, question on the TT and I THINK you run one so here goes..

Can the relay on the canbus helper be replaced if it fails or do you have to get a whole new unit?

[/hijack]
  14. GB

Oddometer:
    the relay is inaccessible.. you can't replace it.. at least, i haven't tried to dig it out. if it fails, i'll buy a new one from TT and send them the defective unit and tell them to keep it. :lol3 3 years now and it's been working well.
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I have the centech ap2, so it runs to that thru a relay to manage the centech
  16. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    After several days of working on the bike I have successfully completed the project. I started with connecting the axillary fuse box to the diagnostic plug using a 15 amp in line fuse. Attached to the fuse box are the MotoLights and PIAA 910's. I also have an additional plug that I installed up on the fairing on the left side by the winglet. I decided to connect that directly to the battery since I'll be running my electric clothing from there. I decided that running too much over the diagnostic power would not be good. So, the operation was successful. Thanks for all the help.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed, you should be running nothing on the diagnostic plug except to signal the relay that powers your fuse box.

Like this:

[​IMG]

That way you can run everything off your fuse box.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Honestly, I would be very concerned puting any load except the signal voltege for the fuse box relay off the diagnostic plug.

Jim :brow

PS Or maybe I misunderstood your post?
  18. Edder B

Edder B Meister Poser

Oddometer:
    No, you are absolutely right. I went for a ride yesterday and everything shut down when I went to turn on the Motolights. I have to go back and put the relay back in. I'm not electric savvy so I wondered if the diagnostic would handle the load. Thanks for sending the diagram.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem, let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with!

Jim :brow
  20. YBViking

YBViking Bedroom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OH GURU OF THE MYSTICAL ELECTRON,:norton MASTER OF THE GODS OF ELECTRIC, HUMBLY I BESEECH YOU..

I am truly grateful we have such great resources and great people to help us N00bs when it comes to harnessing the mighty electron...

Oh Mighty Jim-:bow :bow answer this humble supplicants request (and i'm too impatient to wait for the farkle-I-zation DVD to come out):

02 GS, blue sea soon to be sitting on the air cleaner, have all the lines pointed in the right directions except for one- the relay except for #86- for the switch. What's the best point to tap in for that?

At first i thought the Diag plug (after all, it's right there!), but then again noting some having probs with this, I'm at a loss.

Many thanks!
    another humble N00b

ps- i asked the mrs what she thought....and i didn't like where she told me to stick it either:eek1