Aventuro Traveller Carbon, Compañero?????

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Candubrain, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello All
    I'm considering a modular ADV helmet and I saw Touratech just released this new Carbon helmet

https://shop.touratech-canada.com/aventuro-traveller-carbon-compa-ero-18719.html

I can't seem to find any reviews on the net, even preproduction assessments, other than made my NEXX to TT specs.

Has anyone had a chance to try one on or buy one? Is it more an oval or round head type of helmet.

thanks
    brian
  2. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Well I bought it, but it's going back. The following are my opinions, and your head may fit differently, keep this in mind while reading my review.

When you pay a premium price, I expect a premium helmet, the Adventuro Traveller appears to be a mid level helmet with a premium sticker price to justify the Touratech label. I easily found blemishes in the finish, poor stitching, and loose fitting of the liner. There is no retention sleeve to keep the excess buckle strap secured out of the way, so it just sits there flopping about.

I have an Arai head. I don't know if this mean an intermediate oval, long oval, or just your average oval. When I contacted TT, they replied that the AT helmet fits like an Arai......well it doesn't. I wear a large in Arai, Shoei, Nolan, etc as my head measures 59cm, the AT in a size large is slightly too big and I probably could get away with a medium after the break in.

Initially I thought the helmet was an okay fit front to back, but too loose on the sides. TT does provide pads to allow you to adjust the helmet for front to back and side to side fit. I didn't take them out of the package to try in case it didn't work and need to return the helmet. I then noticed that if you push the helmet forward and compress the neck padding so that your heads actually touches the back shell, then I could easily fit a finger between my forehead and the helmet. That's when I realized it was too big.

The helmet feels heavy and weight biased forward, you really feel the helmet tilting your head down. Something I'm sure you will accustom to, and I don't know if this is natural with a flip up helmet, but I do not get this forward weight bias with my XD4. The XD4 feels very balanced on my head

The AT helmet does not cover the back of your lower head and neck area, it sits high at the back, compared to my XD4 which sits about 2 finger widths lower on my neck. I did make sure my head was fully into the AT, touching at the top, but you really feel how exposed the back of your head and neck are. The helmet feels like its sitting on top of your head were as the Arai feels like your head is within the helmet

The eye port is good peripherally, but is very restrictive looking down. It was quite noticeable walking around the house, this forces you to tilt your head down to see which in turn makes you feel the weight even more.

Walking around the house the helmet feels hot. The inner liner has that polyester rough feel to it and retains the heat despite being advertised as a cool liner. My Arai liner has a silky feel to it and much cooler to the touch. The Arai liner feels much plusher without any hard spots, you don't get this slipper like feeling with the AT.

Front view; the Arai is a taller helmet, and covers more of the back of your head and neck. The Arai also has a slimmer profile side to side. Wearing the AT I look like the Great Gazoo.......big head for those who didn't watch the Flinstones. Possibly its the AT lines that give it that big look, I don't know.

IMG_2505.jpeg

The rear view doesn't support what I just said for the previous photo, but the Arai does provide better coverage at the back of you neck.

IMG_2506.jpeg

I like the idea of this little spoiler which is supposed to redirect the rain so it doesn't run down the back of your neck.

IMG_2507.jpeg

Side view shows how much deeper the eye opening is on the Arai

IMG_2508.jpeg

The Aria has the greater eye opening of the two helmets

IMG_2510.jpeg

Shabby stitching, should have been trimmed neater.....picky I know but remember you're paying a premium price for this helmet.

IMG_2511.jpeg

Another stitching complaint and you can also see how there is no retention sleeve for the strap buckle free end

IMG_2512.jpeg

Sloppy fitting liner, you can see how it puckers.

IMG_2515.jpeg

One small blemish I found in the finish, something I could live with, but again you are paying a premium price. This I would expect in a $250.00 helmet

IMG_2516.jpeg

This by far is their greatest idea. A cut out in the lower shell to accommodate the mounting clamp of any brand of communication unit

IMG_2517.jpeg

I'm being pretty hard on Touratech, but I expect quality when I pay premium. The fit issues are clearly related to my head and are no fault of the manufacturer.

Hope this helps your decision.
    brian
  3. Huckwheat

Huckwheat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent review Brian. Thanks for taking the time to do it. :thumbup
    Candubrain likes this.
  4. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up to anyone buying from Touratech Canada. They charge a restocking fee along with the postage for any return, (not applicable to exchanges).
    So my brief try on of this helmet cost me $110.00

Now I really don't like this helmet......