Aviation MegaThread!!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Jan 1, 2009.

1. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:

I didn't know being a pilot is on par as a being professional bull rider. "Things a pilot can't control at all"? Who decides who hits bad weather? The pilot. Who, if an owner, (or an airline PIC signing the logbook) makes sure the aircraft is airworthy? The pilot.

Sorry, but I disagree. It isn't like when I was 9 years old and hopped on my Honda S90 with no training or common sense. Please, I like your posts and aviation enthusiasm but try not be a statistic waiting for the crash.
    Mambo Dave and airheadPete like this.
  2. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    So are you saying it is dangerous to go flying with my neighbor in a rental 152? His day job is PIC of A320 jets for one of the major airlines. Should I ride pillion on the back of his Harley instead? I am positive he has more flight hours than motorcycle miles under his belt, so the latter is a bit daunting. Plus I don’t do well on the bitch seat. Inquiring minds want to know.
  3. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wrong again that GA is (A) insanely dangerous, (B) that "There are times when all you can do is fly it into the crash" and (C) "mostly crash from...things pilots can't control at all.

(A) The basic data for 2016 is that GA had a total of 1267 accidents and only 213 involved fatalities, so about 83% are non-fatal. For all the GA flying in all 50 States, INCLUDING Alaska and all the low altitude paid operations such as what helicopters do, that is pretty darned safe.

The Top 2 Leading Causes of Fatal General Aviation Accidents 2001-2016 were
    1. Loss of Control Inflight and
    2. CFIT.

The top causes for loss of control copied off the NTSB site are:
    1. "Pilot inattention due to workload, distractions or complacency, and "
    2. "Lack of understanding how a stall actually relates to exceeding a wing’s critical angle of attack (AOA), as opposed to the more common idea that it’s just related to airspeed. Also noteworthy is that when airplanes are close to the ground, such as in a landing pattern, there is limited time and altitude available to recover from a stall, thus making these stalls particularly deadly."

So (B) yes YOU can prevent the crash by not allowing those circumstances to develop in the first place, and (C) the outcome typically IS in YOUR control when you fly.
  4. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From my limited experience in placing aviation insurance and as an ASEL from many years ago, I seem to remember the two biggest causes of loss in non-commercial aircraft loss was running out of fuel and flying into heavy weather.

Both of these fit into #1 in @Wreckchecker 's post above.

NFE
  5. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I just look on, biting my tongue and shaking my head.

Jeez... :fpalm
  6. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't know why I fed the troll. I know the dead guys are smiling down at me because I remembered they died but still...
  7. hwy61

hwy61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My best times flying were in this little Cub with either of my two boys with me...sure do miss it! CUB.jpg
    Old Blue, GSPeP, Uke and 9 others like this.
  8. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem NFE, there've been changes over time. What I showed was copied and pasted off the NTSB web-site for GA.
  9. HeliMark

HeliMark Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    From your posts, I know you like to post doom and gloom stuff, unsubstantiated/uneducated information. My question for you is, if you do believe all this stuff, why do you fly, and own an airplane? You (and supposedly all of us) are obviously a thread string away from crashing and dying.

Feeding the troll.....
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I love flying. I do all I can to mitigate risk, but I neither deny nor ignore it. Like I said, when I take off from my home field I brief the take off. Most days the brief is "if I loose the mill this is going to really hurt". I fly a stout airplane, I do my level best to take care of it, and where I live there are lots of flat fields. But I live under no illusions.
  11. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Very few people have ever set out to crash an airplane. But humans are by nature distractible. Its distraction that allows you to get too slow, cross controlled and all set up for that stall. Its distraction that allows you total off with the trim and flaps set wrong, pushing you into that departure stall.

Look at it this way. Who ever set out to land their aircraft gear up? Still, it happens year in and year out.

Call me names, do whatever you want. Aviation has inherent risks. To deny that is to deny an obvious truth.
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Distraction can be a vulnerability but isn't an independent virus laying in wait. There's been considerable work done to study and address distraction. One example; a carrier noted for its quick turn-arounds, (and the pressures to accomplish such), changed the setting of flaps from during taxi-out (distraction environment) to during push-back or before powering forward.
  13. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fifi just took off from Meacham Field. I was tinkering in my garage and heard the tell-tale sound of radials.

Day-um!
    Uke, Bigger Al and Bart Jones like this.
  14. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a post today that Mitch, the flight engineer from the 909 crash was released from the hospital today.
    airgord, Uke, Bigger Al and 3 others like this.
  15. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, Collings is going through a hard time right now. I called them up and bought a 909 tshirt and donated to them. I felt it was better to actually speak to someone and tell them we as a community are behind them and supporting them.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/

[​IMG]
    airgord, Bart Jones, Uke and 6 others like this.
  16. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    well done.
  17. angrypeppers

angrypeppers We've gone plaid!

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea! I'm going to call them in the morning.
    mfp4073 likes this.
  18. Jonnybow

Jonnybow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My friend from high school, Jim Roberts, who perished in the 909 crash will be buried on Sunday.
    Jim was just a regular guy who enjoyed old airplanes, he paid a few bucks to go for a spin. He probably thought, like most others that it would be the thrill of a lifetime.
    Godspeed Jim, see you on the other side.
    msahern5, Heyload, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  19. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    No, you're delusional. I'm probably the only person in this thread who you've argued with who doesn't already have way more experience than you'll ever have. And that's not even mentioning the diversity of experience between those guys.
  20. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    Nobody's denying that aviation has inherent risks but you're exarcerbating them with this weird, confrontational mode of fatalism.