Aviation MegaThread!!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    I think, with one or two exceptions on this thread, we all support the living history flight experience that Collings and others offer to the public. The crash of 909 has brought the naysayers out in full force against allowing these types of flights to continue. I received this from The Collings Foundation today, and pass it along in case anyone here would care to comment and show support: (keep it civil, people)

Dear supporters,

Please join the Collings Foundation in our thoughts and prayers with those who were on the tragic flight of the B-17 Flying Fortress “Nine-O-Nine” on Wednesday, October 2nd. We will be forever grateful to the heroic efforts of the first responders at Bradley International Airport and the assistance of all local agencies in the days after the crash.

The Collings Foundation team has been and remains fully cooperative with officials to determine the cause of the crash and we will comment further when facts and details become available. We have suspended the Wings of Freedom Tour for the remainder of the 2019 season and the aircraft have returned to our winter maintenance base in Florida.

The mission of the Collings Foundation remains steadfast in the goal of making history come alive as we have for over 30 years. Since 1989, the Wings of Freedom Tour has touched the lives of millions, as we have made visits to over 3600 communities in that time. Tens of thousands have flown aboard our Living History Flight Experiences (LHFE) on the B-17, B-24, B-25, and A-1E and flight training on the TP-51C, TF-51D, and TP-40N. In the past week we have received many stories on how powerful and life-changing the tour has been for families and as we move forward, and we expect there are thousands more who have been touched by the Wings of Freedom Tour.

In the coming months, federal agencies will be reviewing the LHFE program for not only our organization, but many other organizations nationwide who continue to fly vintage aircraft as a part of their educational mission. As these reviews take place, we feel it is important for the voices of those impacted by the Wings of Freedom Tour over the years to be heard. We need to let federal agencies know that the LHFE program is important to you and other American citizens as an educational tool.

Please take a moment to add your comments to the current docket regarding the renewal of the Collings Foundation LHFE program with the FAA at the Federal Register. You may do so online at the following link:

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FAA-2001-11089-0096

As you write your comment, please review the tips for submitting effective comments from Regulations.gov at https://www.regulations.gov/docs/Tips_For_Submitting_Effective_Comments.pdf

Thank you for your support of our living history mission.

Best regards,
    Rob Collings
    Executive Director
    airgord, Bart Jones, GSPeP and 4 others like this.
  2. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    UAL's opening up a new pilot hiring program.

No first-hand knowledge, but maybe someone here might be interested-- they say they want to hire 10,000 pilots in the next ten years.

https://unitedaviate.com/
    Shaggie likes this.
  3. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sigh. :(
    After a lifetime in the wilderness.....
    It’s all about timing. If anyone’s interested, now’s the time to chase this!
    allonsye likes this.
  4. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Child of the Magenta Line

Oddometer:
    I'm caught between not wanting to fly a bus and not wanting to spend my life in a cubicle...
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    If I was young enough I'd choose fly the bus every single time.
    42, airheadPete, Bigger Al and 2 others like this.
  6. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    I hear that if you take the cubicle then you get donuts and mind numbing antidepressants.
    Rich B likes this.
  7. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I missed the waves and hit the troughs, and could qualify as a poster boy for "don't do it", but in comparison a cubicle is positively soul crushing.
    Uke, airheadPete and Bigger Al like this.
  8. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    If you've been in the game this long and haven't buried friends you're either very fortunate or haven't any.
    Beemer Bob likes this.
  9. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My only friends who have died in a GA aircraft died because they screwed up and flamed an engine out on take off. More friends than those four have died in cars on the way to the airport or other places. I’ll take my chances in the air any day, even though I fly a Boeing.
    allonsye likes this.
  10. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    CapCal1000, Buckee, chazbird and 5 others like this.
  11. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen articles built around 3 indicators of stock market peaks.
    1. Building the biggest buildings.
    2. Committing to production of new big airliner programs.
    3. Massive pilot training.
    PvtIdaho and staticPort like this.
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember being at the library in 1974 reading Aviation Week and Space Technology: "Demand For Pilots To Outstrip Supply'. I put my money down and as its said "let the games begin."
  13. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    What's your point, exactly? We all know that lessons learned in aviation come at a terrible price. Nobody who I know of is going into this without thinking that it's a brutally unforgiving environment if you give it the chance to be.
  14. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I 'dunno exactly, but the tenaciousness of the beliefs expressed could suggest some imagined post flight Lycoming of the Round Table valor feast infused with a touch of hero syndrome. I know, I shouldn't be so arm chair psychotherapist but the man insists on his beliefs - which is entirely fine - except when he doesn't recognize how unintentionally/clueless offensive some of it is - IE his opinions about freight pilots rubbing some here who have lost colleagues.
  15. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a mentor/buddy who works at UPS. Retires at the end of the year. They just paid him 33k to sell one of his weeks of vacation he didn't plan on using anyway... since he only works a few days a month. Pretty wild. Oh and he will still be paid his normal rate during that time to fly.

Pretty unrelated, but kinda erks me that I need 1500 hours to get into the airlines. But I can have an aviation 4 year degree and get in at 1000... I'm far from gods gift to aviation, or bob hoover, but I have a way wider range of experience in my training compared to a guy flying a da40 or sr20 from 0-200. Tailwheel, HP, Complex, flying old POS airplanes, steam gauges etc. I know a DPE said their flying skills are not great either on average..... Guess it's all about who could lobby the best I suppose. The 750 for a military pilot doesn't bother me, their training is a known quantity, that is probably better than anything a civilian can get.

But now you can go from PPL-CFI with nothing more than a light sport, or DA40. No powerful airplanes, no retractable gear, and glass is like cheating for anything ifr.
    allonsye, staticPort and airheadPete like this.
  16. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be shocked if he sees himself as the delightful smartass who shoots so straight that other people can't handle the hard truths that he delivers.
  17. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, that's called the fortunate son syndrome and good for him - but that pyramid is pretty narrow. Of course, I considered UPS many years ago, applied once and didn't bother pursuing it. I'd be retiring from Brown right now, too! :fpalm

Second part, and no urinating on the campfire intended, but 1500 hours to get into the airlines, until recently, was pretty much unheard of. It was 2500 for a "commuter" (predecessor to the regionals, which didn't exist) and you'd find yourself in a Beech 99, or be lucky a Shorts 360, not an ERJ-175. Typical times for hiring at a major were 5500-6000 hours and a mandatory four year degree. I recall the median for PSA (the former 727/MD-80 operator on the west coast) new hire, when they rarely hired, was 6000 hours - I think it was because of the desirable domiciles/lifestyle.
  18. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, and I understand things change. But in the 2000's there were people getting hired into the commuters/regional with wet Multi CPL's as well. Granted the pay was peanuts, but i'm sure if they stuck with it they are sitting pretty right now.

I'd love to work for UPS, they are pretty much down the road and from everything I hear is a great place to be as a pilot.
  19. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    045B03B6-1904-433A-9D0F-9BA006601CBA.jpeg F1A59786-19CC-490E-B276-AB7091BACC7E.jpeg 83F0093C-357B-4D66-9A7C-0BAB81A0E1B2.jpeg
    69FC1524-BDEC-471D-AD02-056BD1D3C1F7.jpeg
    Ditch the cubicle... :jkam
    Uke, yeroc40, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  20. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer: