Avoid local BMW dealer for everything!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Schlim, May 3, 2007.

1. Schlim

Schlim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day all,I recently went to my local BMW dealer for a new fuel pump(which was under warranty) and also a service.The bike was in for approximately 2.5 weeks,when I finally took delivery I found that my bike had been marked.I then took my bike back in to complain, the first thing they said was,and I quote "we did not do it".Then I said to them the bike was not marked in that area when I bought it in,then they threatened to call the police,because I was supposidly getting physical(they were scared,they knew I was right).I said "I'm going to take this further".Then they just walked off!!!!.So I decided to hit them where it hurts, in the back pocket.So with a little help, hopefully word will eventually get around.

Thanks

Schlim
  2. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    which BM dealer was it? Autoclassic here in Perth are always really good for me.
  3. Jaqhammar

Jaqhammar Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Workshops are covered by insurance for damage they may incurr to a customers bike.

I suggest you contact BMW Headquarters in Australia and have a chat with one of their HQ Managers.
    Don't be aggressive, just state the facts.
    BMW at Procycles in St.Peters are one of the best shops I have ever dealt with.
    I cannot say the same of the used BMW shop Motohansa however.
    I do so miss Don Wilson and his son Mark.
  4. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience in the Automotive trade, the excess is so high, unless you write a vehicle off it is not worth claiming.
  5. nice1guv

nice1guv .

Oddometer:
    I too have had a similar incident, but with a car instead.

I now avoid all workshops if possible, but if I must go, I take photos before the bike or car goes in.

This gives me proof if there is a dispute.
    pete497 likes this.
  6. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    Again your paying Customers are unhappy and you offer nothing. I have had Bm s for years. My Gs. 1100 with only 70th ks needed a rebuild ! I read all the problems with the 1200 Gs. Do Know how Humbling after 20 years to HAVE go Japanese to get some value. A bike that you can actually just ride and do nothing? Funny that why I started with Bmw? Are you listening?
    We want No-Fuss Moto cycling. Have money to spend and by the look at the sales. We are, elsewhere! BIGJim Tasmania.
  7. HyperPete

HyperPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must say, my experience was somewhat contrary to yours Jaq, with each and every visit to procycles there were issues, some where dealt with some required whinge and whine. Most issues were serious safety ones (ie: bits coming loose after a service....)
    Motohansa I believe is a genuine service agent anyway so their's no question BMW approve their quality of service, but personally I'm more than happy with what they've done with mine/me...

(and they DONT pay me :lol3 )
  8. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    Firstly, It bloody disapointing you got a raw deal at you local BMW dealer. However It appears you must have got quite irate(with good reason by the sounds of it) for them to threaten to call the authorities. I agree with Jaq. Go straight to the top and have them sort it out. Head offices hate having bad customer calls and they usually stomp right on the source of the problem. Bad PR hurts their hip pocket more than a couple of indignant customers refusing to go there ever again.

Not good having your 70,000k old bike needing a rebiuld. Did you do all the services yourself? As for all the problems "you`ve read with the 1200GS, my 06 12GS as never missed a heartbeat and the dealer has always been frank with me about the fact that he has heard so much about these so called problems with the 12GS but doesnt seem to have had to deal with any so far. I beleive imploading final drives is the popular one.
    You were obviously a BMW fan "for years". Dont write em off. All brands have their bad points one way or another.
    Cheers
    Craig
  9. woafa

woafa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with R1150Gfun...
    I think the best thing Phil Coorey did was to let Don go.

Don was the bloke who told me 7 days after I bought my used 950 there that they would under no circumstances service the bike.

Lovely, you've laid down $14-15k and the bloke is telling you to go away and winging about you wanting him to fix a flat.

Fair enough they dont have KTM trained people at St Peters, but he made it clear that if I rolled in with a broken bike he'd turn me away.

daniel
  10. Stackator

Stackator F800GS goodness

Oddometer:
    Good advice Mr CCC Hunsta
  11. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    I've been riding BM's exclusively since '78.

A 75/6 that I sold with 240,000 on the clock (150,000 I put on it). One main rear seal, a set of first oversize pistons, a cam chain and new carby diaphrams is all I remember replacing.

A (from new) GS80 PD I sold after 5 years with 90,000kms. Not a single problem, tyres, oil and regular factory services.

One of the first twin carby F650 "Funduro's" (from new) sold with 30,000 on it and just a new chain. Brilliant bike, wish I still had it.

Sure there have been a few issues with dealers along the way. (Mid 8-0's in Perth was not so good. Warped front disc on the 800 that the service Manager didn't want to replace under warranty. I went above him and it was sorted straight away).

Never any shaft issues. No oil leaks.

But the current dealer "Auto Classic" and their service manager Brian Waugh (who incidently came from the previous agent) are pretty good.

What do I like about them ?

Long service intervals, dependability, Shaft, definitely the shaft ! Never an issue getting parts, unlike previous problems with Jap bikes. (Mrs Beak No. 1 couldn't get an air cleaner or clutch cable for her one year old Yammy RD400 for three months. I ended up cannibalising a clutch cable of another model and putting on an aftermarket air cleaner).
    Fairly long model runs, certainly in the past with lots of parts inter changable between bikes (eg. cables, indicators, etc)

And most importantly, when I get on the current bike (R1150R) it feels solid, like it's going to be with me in another 20 years, still running, still crossing the Continent. Which is not something I can say about my KLR.

My one gripe is that they have got progessively heavier. The old /6 an/7's were great all rounders.

Sorry to hear about your issues Tassy Jim but I can't say I have any problems.
    I would like to think your problems are the exception to the rule.

Andrew Linton.
  12. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    There are only two people I absolutely trust on BMW`s

Mark Wilson who is I understand at Central Coast Motorcycles NSW
    Brian Waugh at Auto Classic Perth
  13. wandererjim5

Oddometer:
    My BMs IS serviced and logged by BMW workshop. When It went Bang didn't want to know me. Now 1200 that my Ride Mates own. Local not read about. No1 not 7th ks Piston Broke Engine Failure. ( Deloraine Tas) No2. Frame failure 3 times Burnie Tas). No3. Brake Failure and complete colapse near Death ( 2nd one in Deloraine). All in one year! Don't even Bother with I have done Mile Routine. My BMs R60, R80, R100s then K100, K100RS, K100 Krauser, K100 Now GS11. The min ks on any one was sold with 130 th I rode. Not sut in a shed and Grow Old. I think it is sad Day a person with that ownership within B.M.W. would have to Change Brands. My Bm is totally unreliable. To Tour is out of the question. I have the Box of accounts from BMW ( all paid Cash) to proove it ! I hope I don't upset to many but have spoke the Truth. To question my Knowledge on ownership is a joke! An Active Member and supporter in Member M.R.A /Ulysses/ BMW Club Vic. and Tas. Tas Sports Riders ( Aus SuperBike No.59) more than 20 years. I have held offices in Many of these organisations. Take Pride in my Bikes and Riding them. Yes it will do BMW well when I change ownership. Your kidding they wouldn't give a Toss. Till their sales keep Falling. Then Too Late.
    All Bike sales are up last year so spare me that one...
    Sorry but you can own a better bike at 10 grand less.
    The Truth Jim Evans. BIGJim Tasmania.
  14. Paves

Paves Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the little hijack cos this is a car story, but how's this for dodgy service!
    I put my 4cyl Mazda Tribute in for it's 70k service a couple of weeks ago, after phoning up and getting a price, even though I always go to the same place because every time they ask me if I've been quoted a price. After a couple of hours they phone me up at work and tell me the plugs need changing and ask me if I want iridium plugs because they're better but a bit more expensive at $20 each. I reply that's ok and then get told, "Ok sir, so that'll be $80 extra for the plugs and $100 to take the manifold off, because that has to come off to change the plugs." I think for a second because something's not right here, and then answer that if they know the condition of the plugs they must have them out already so what's the deal with charging me $100 extra to take new plugs out of little cardboard boxes, instead of replacing the old plugs? There is stunned silence on the end of the phone, no "I'm sorry sir I've made a mistake," but just "Yeah, ok, I'll just charge you for the plugs then".
    After demanding to see the service manager when i pick the car up I get the plugs for free and the next service for free. But if that had been my wife or someone with little knowledge they probably would've paid up. Bastards.
  15. wandererjim5

Oddometer:
    We are just getting Fed-up with it? Being Ripped Off! It's not personal or all that much really. My work van I gave up Leasing and Brought a 10 year old van that I can work on. The result I can afford to take time off and Ride. So is this what we are all doing? Imagine what that is doing for the economy? We are just saying the Truth. Yet? Just get talked over by Crap! We are sick of it. Remember we are the ones doing the Spending. Go Get up them Politely but Honestly. Tell Your Clubs, the Pub, the Church Folks, your work mates everyone. Give them all proof. They will listen? Yeah go Get-em!!
    $$$$ WINs. BIGJim.:ear Do it Nicely!
  16. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2002 F650 GS was the biggest POS I have owned in almost 50 years of motercycling, my R75/7 the best quality bike I have ever owned, and the most reliable.

Adelaide BMW had nil stock of spare or service parts for the GS , had a five week wait to get into the workshop , took three weeks to get warranty claims approved , then quoted 11/16 weeks to get the parts in from Germany to fix the warranty claims.

In two years of ownership the bike was only running 8 months, and I spent the price of a KLE 650 in repairs/ replacements of second rate and substandard parts.

I once booked the bike in for a software upgrade , returned early to find my bike stripped and the good parts of my running bike being used to try and get other dead bikes running . They had no idea where to start but substitution, and I left with my previously running bike on a trailer and threats to sue me for the days labour they had spent fitting my bits on other bikes - there was a warehouse round the corner with about 60 dead bikes there waiting on parts/ insperation.

Luckily there was a cop there picking his bike up after 6 months in the repair shop, so I was able to get my bike and most parts out without too much hassle and they never did send me a bill.
    And according to the cop the current police bikes are worse than the old BSA A65s they had 40 years ago , and BMW have supplied gratis one extra bike for every six to cover loss of use while bikes are being repaired.
    Just dont get me started----------------.
  17. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Beemer, that story is just plain unreal.

If I were in your shoes i`d change my name from Beemerboff to PisteOff.

2yrs of ownership and it only ran for 8mths?
    Didja get a refund on the roadside assist?:lol3
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I used the dealer to service my 1150 GS for the 10, 20, 30 and 40k services.
    The last one was after their senior bike mechanic left, and the younger bloke did it, along with a new recruit.
    When I picked the bike up it was drenched in brake fluid front and rear. Not just a couple of drips, but one look and it was very evident that there was brake fluid all over the place.
    I had to take it back a further FIVE times just to get it to idle.
    The AFP and the NSW cops no longer use the dealer either. That's 2 lucrative contracts gone walkabout from this dealer, and does BMW think there is a problem? They still have the franchise for BMW in Canberra.
    To be honest, both KTM and BMW management in Australia have their heads in the sand when it comes to after sales service and warranty. Some folks get good service, but plenty of others just get shafted. I won't buy a new bike from either company. My advice is to vote with your wallet, and don't be afraid to spread the word.
    To qualify my rant, I own a BMW but didn't buy it new, and I'm just about to buy a KTM, but that won't be new either. I prefer to let someone else take that risk, as I'm not prepared to shell out for a new bike to find myself abandoned under warranty.
  19. wandererjim5

Oddometer:
    Isn't it a shame Loyal Customers are Leaving BMW. Anyway I'm becoming even more Depressed. It's a Beautil Day I will go for a Ride. When I can Start the Barstard. 2nd try. New Rebuild is still a bit tight? Yeah right. ( Ring Gap within specs). Or the 20 yo DT. Needs Seals, no compression, drum brakes. But goes. Kick-Broom! BM 3rd try. No more. (now flat Battery).
    F__k it I will wind the window down in the Mazda van!! Come on Dog , Alice you get a ride after all. She's Happy.
    Hey? What do Red Healers and BMWs have in Common?
    They love a Ride in a Van, where no-one can see them. BIGJim.
  20. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Dear dear BigJim. you certainly are bitter about BMW and with good cause by the sound of it.
    On the bright side. Coastline BMW up here on the Sunshinecoast in SEQLD, I cant say enough about em. They virually roll out the red carpet when I turn up. Friendly, compliant, eager to have just a chat and a laugh. Even been invited on rides with the head salesman once. Guess it just comes down to whos really running the dealership and how they go about getting the right guys to do the job:deal
    Cheers
    Craig