Avoid local BMW dealer for everything!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Schlim, May 3, 2007.

1. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:

:dunno :dunno :dunno

225 :confused
  2. DaveO

DaveO BOF

Oddometer:
    There are good bikes and there are bad bikes.
    There are great bikes and there are lemons.
    People can be lucky or unlucky.
    The real question is: "Are BMWs worse than the rest?"

Now BigJim seems a little, well, shrill, and probably with cause.

But now I'm asking myself, after trouble-free ownership of an R60/2, two R75/6s (one got written off), an R80, an R100LT, another R80, and currently a 12 year old R100R, should I sell it quick before bad things happen, or like Eaglebeak, stay with what obviously works for me?

Incidentally, I have dallied with thoughts about the R1200R, but Mrs DaveO spat the dummy at the height of the pillion seat, which seems much higher than the 1150. What does Mrs Beak think?

DaveO
  3. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    We haven't discussed the new R1200R. Personally, I'm still undecided about the overall look. The pillion seat looks thinner for a start.
    The bike has had some good reviews, there's a lot of chat over on Roadwarriors on this site about the bike.
    Most mag reviews have praised it as being better than the 1150.

I don't like the big oil cooler on the front behind the wheel. I wonder how much mud and dirt that'll get on gravel road ? I prefer the coolers hidden on the side of the tank.
    The black with trad pinstriping just doesn't seem to work on the newer shaped tank . . .IMO.

I'm not one to trade up regularly, pretty happy with my black 1150, it'll still look like a timeless classic in another 10 years.
    I have ridden the R850R a couple of times as a loaner when getting service work. Now that's a very sweet bike to ride. Less vibey (my 1150 has a vibe around 2,800 through to about 3,300 rpm)

We're saving our cash to get Mrs Beak a GS650 in a couple of months.
    (sssh, don't tell Schlim or BigJim :D )
  4. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought an R850R new in 2004, from Coastline Motorrad (Qld). 36000km in 18 months and not one problem. As Andrew says, a sweet bike.

I only had the first service done by Coastline for no other reason than the tyranny of distance. I am on the southside of Brisbane and Ray Peake is much closer to where I live. Don`t know much about Coastlines service dept, but I`m sure I got a good deal when I bought the bike.
  5. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    You want to clarify that last statement mate. I dont quite get where ya coming from:dunno Is that a jab at BMW owners or other brands?
  6. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    Bit small, too Big...this could be as Big as The BMW/ KTM thread?...
    I think I owe BMW a BIG Thanks for making all my new friends. Love yuz BIGJim.
  7. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    I didn't start this Thread. I'm recieving cans of Chain Lube in the mail? Help! It's... 'the chain gang'! irrrr BIGJim. :chace ?
  8. Jaqhammar

Jaqhammar Hooligan

Oddometer:
    You have got your Don's mixed up mate.

Don Wilson was a used BMW dealer at Enfield for many years until he retired and sold the business to Motohansa.

His shop won numerous awards from bike mags and customers over the years for the quality of the work they did and the help they provided to people.
  9. Nick Makwell

Nick Makwell Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer:
    No dramas - Michelin Pilot Road 2's - $380 fitted - only a little more than what Mick at Micks Tyres (sic!) in Goodna would charge me, but he hates Michelins on principle!!! I had a set of Trailwings from him when I had finished almost 20000km on my Tourances!!!!!! :eek1

I knew I wasn't going to do much, if any dirt or offroad stuff this year (I'm studying at university and work full time) - but wanted a sticky sport like tyre for the occasional Sunday morning ride, which I want to get back into - maybe at the end of the year (after I get married....gulp) I'll get a set of Tourances or even TKC's for the hell of it!!!

Eventually I want to get a set of R1200ST/RT 17in wheels (I have spoked 19/17) so I can fit Pilot Powers and TKCs respectively, but damn they are expensive!!!!!

SO the F800ST was shite hey?

Hmm...I hope the F800GS is good or the inline triple K1000RS - there's not going to be a Boxer for much longer (2009? last year) so they need an alternative powerplant, for sure!

Me, I want an ex police R1200RT for touring! What a bike!
  10. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    I'd like to know what info your quoting there :deal
  11. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    psssssssssst - what he doesnt tell everyone is that he has one himself
  12. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

:lurk
  13. slowbike smallpenis

Oddometer:
    :brow - BMW has been down that road in the past - didnt work for them then and I cant for the life of me see it working now - Boxer is their biggest selling Engine config - why would they cut those buyers out from the marque?
  14. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    SBSP... you`ve changed your avatar and now you`ve gone off stealth mode mate... what`s happened?? :huh
  15. slowbike smallpenis

Oddometer:
    hey Nev - Ive found God ... um no, I just had to re jig my ISP and email settings so I guess the default ' on view' has come up ..... I will slip away into the background again :loaded
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Another prizewinning (read disturbing) avatar mr SB...

Your shrink should have a week or so up his sleeve to figure that one out...??? :lol3

PS: just for the record, I have never had any problem with my local BMW dealer... never been there... NO PROBLEM... :lol3
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    craig, its a jab at everybody! I'm not racist...

didn't alfie put it best:

“Whenever you meet a beautiful woman, just remember somewhere there's a man who's sick of shagging her. ”
  18. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thought he lived around your area.. :lol3
  19. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    I havn't had much luck from any dealer I have ever been involved with, including a BMW one, but it wasnt about service, it was saying, yes they had ordered some (BMW spacific) diff bearings for me, and when I rang to check on them they said, yes they were in and waiting for me, then driving 300Km, only to find they hadnt actually yet ordered them, and would post them when they got in, they arrived 3 weeks later.

I do my own work on everything motorised we own, so if any thing goes wrong, as I sit in the corner and sulk, I can also hurl threats and abuse onto myself. I must say though, it falls on deaf ears, so I must have been in charge of a vehicle workshop in a past life.
  20. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    "I must say though, it falls on deaf ears, so I must have been in charge of a vehicle workshop in a past life."

:rofl :rofl :lol3 :rofl :rofl :lol3 <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->