Avoid This Guy at El Slavador-Honduras Border!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Teddy

Teddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh my god... i would have liked to see him!

I live in Venezuela and everyday I look at that bastards cops taking advantage from everyone including ''gringos''...
  2. Bajarider2000

Bajarider2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else had to deal with him in the last few weeks?????
  3. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much exactly the post I was waiting for, there's just one thing missing: the kick in the nuts :lol3
  4. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I´ll be visiting this joker manana.
    :lol3
  5. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Well I got through for ~$50 all in. I figured it was about ~$30 for legit stuff and the remaining going to the helper.

It was worth it, i kicked back and ate a fried banana and drank my fresh squeezed OJ while I waited. And it was chaos at 8AM.

The other side going to Nic wasn't as bad.

And the Nic side was much more organized. I paid $12 for a helper and she had everything lined out, real smooth. Funny thing is I recall going to immigracion paying and getting a receipt but I can't tell if the stamp I have is from Honduras or Nic. I hope this isn't a problem later. Getting my passport stamped seems to be a challenge for some reason. :lol3

edit: oh and Jose was the first mf to run up to me when I got to the first guard. :lol3

I told him he was famous and that I knew all about him. If my vid turns out I'll have footage of him. His amigos were laughing at him and asked what the website is where we talk about him. I told them google.com/jose. :evil
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Came through there a couple of weeks ago and didn´t see him.

FWIW, helpers will help for five bucks. This is more than they get from truckers, so no one has refused me yet. But at most crossings you don´t need a helper....or you need to stand there looking over their shoulder anyway, so what´s the point?

Honduras temporary import cost me US$33. That´s legitimate. They tried to charge me $45 but I refused. Same old same old.

Enjoy!

Mark

(from somewhere rainy on the Michoacan coast)
  7. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Yep, all of my receipts for Honduras total 770 Limpiras which is close to $40 US as of today.
  8. MoustacheMan

MoustacheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ill be heading back from Costa Rica soon. Just checking which countries I need to buy new permits for. Honduran and Nica officials said that when I leave the country the permit is no longer valid. is that true? I was also required to pay for insurance in Honduras and Nic. Nica cost $24 for insurance and visa (I asked other motorists and they said I did infact have to pay for insurance). Honduras cost a total of $45. So what countrys do I need to by new permits at? El Salvador and Guatemala were both less than $6 for everything so if I pay twice its not too bad. Now heres the part that sucks I am an idiot and in San Luis Colorado the migration never pointed me in the direction of customs to get my import permit OR EVEN TOLD ME I NEEDED ONE. I crossed mexico with no permit realized half way through that I didnt have one (no military ever asked for it...). Tried to get one couldnt figure out how to get one after the fact. Then lied to customs in Guatemala/Chipas saying it was stolen with my wallet to avoid a $500 fine (I met a canadian couple on klrs that was slapped with over 500 each for a mistake they didnt make). When I go back to Mexico they will look up my VIN in the computer then figure out I never had a permit...should I cross again without a permit (easy) or try to get one and risk a fine??????
  9. markharf

Oddometer:
    Forgot about this thread. Now that I'm reminded I see that Misery Goat was heading south, not north. Goat, that means you were leaving Honduras, which costs little or nothing. You paid US$50 to exit? That would offer a compelling reason not to sit in the shade while your helper does all the work for you. Or did I misunderstand?

Mr. Moustache, if it was me (which you'll notice it's not), I'd get a permit and assume maybe there'd be consequences. But there's hardly anything you can do in Mexico which will draw a legitimate fine of US$500, so unless you are counting in $pesos somthing's askew about your Canadian friends' story. Lots of people pay lots of money in Latin America on lots of pretenses, but that doesn't mean you or I need to follow suit.

Anyway, just go to the aduana and try your luck. If there's a "fine" to be paid (doubtful, but perfectly possible), just smile, negotiate and be patient.

And post here to say how it went.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
  10. MoustacheMan

MoustacheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    exactly I didnt pay anything to exit Honduras besides mabe 2 bux to get the passport stamped. Its too bad about mexico I am nervious, it is partly my fault for not knowing what I needed before the boarder. I am sure it is a money making scheme telling foreigners that they are ready to go only to get fined when they leave. I will try to get the permit with copied documents that way if they hold them for EL Jefe to determine the fine I will bolt. I try to do everything the legal way but it sucks when government employees misinform you to raise money for the country. I hope I can get the permit without a fine.
  11. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moustache,

I'm not sure if I understood your situation, but as far as permits are concerned, you will be entering the countries again (heading back to the US) and will need new permits. This is normal, no problems at all.
    As far as Mexico is concerned, I don't think you will have any problems getting a new permit. If they were going to force you to pay a fine that would've happened when you left the country (on your way south). Now, you are just revisiting the country.
    I don't think there's any need for you to be nervous.
    Relax and enjoy your adventure.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Take care.
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
  13. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. markharf

Oddometer:
    I don't have the forensic skills of some posting here, but I sure appreciate their efforts.

My take: MM/BS sounds a tad self-centered, clueless and obnoxious. Hey, isn't that what I'm often accused of? Ok, never mind that part. His cluelessness seems to be preventing him from grasping much that seems obvious to others here, including how little he actually knows and how he might go about learning certain crucial information he currently lacks.

Probably he'll grow up, given time (although not all of us do).

Unsolicited advice: if you can't resist poking the troll, go right ahead. He sure makes an easy target, huh? But note that the fact you find this so irresistable speaks volumes not so much about him as about you....or me, for that matter. Otherwise we'd all be satisfied to take note of the fact that he's retreating homeward, having failed to find the life-altering adventure he so transparently craved, and having failed even to join the company of the big boys who post here. Kind've sad, really. Reminds me of various episodes in my own life during the crucial days of incipient facial hair.

All things considered I'd rather stay 55 than return to being 19. Sometimes it's a tough call, however.

Safe journeys.

Mark
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Jeez, man. That's like really old.:D
  16. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Dude, you're like, old, or something? :rofl

You can not escape the almighty bungholio. :D
  17. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I'm carrying the same double nickel myself. :D
    Need one of those cool Antique plates to wear...
  18. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    The kid needs a drill sergeant.

My motorcycle is his age.

I have kids older than him.

I just realized that one of my horses is older than him.

Some people read "Into the Wild" and say "What a brave young man." I say he was a mentally ill moron.

It looks to me like Blackspanker's decision to go home was his first good one. I stand by my opinion that a drill sergeant or chief petty officer would do him a ton of good.

I need an antique license plate.
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Am I reading this right ????? :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Travelling on dreams and misconceptions aren't you?:uhoh

You should have learned to read or Google before setting off. Not funny anymore !!!! :nono Now bolt......out of here!:rolleyes
  20. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Yes, you misunderstood. I was entering Honduras at El Amatillo and at the time it would've been closer to $40USD (high $30s).