Avoid This Guy at El Slavador-Honduras Border!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:

I could add a fifth page of troubles at this border. I swore that I won't ever set a foot in Honduras again, until it changes....but don't hold your breath waiting for that. It's really too bad, because it is a beautiful country for scenery but the corruption ruins the experience.

You would think Honduras would realize that the drop in tourism due to their "theft is okay" attitude would make them wake up, but again, don't hold your breath. It's every dog for himself there, and screw everybody else.

And this ploy of being the press is great, right up to point where some militia, or cop with a rifle takes your camera, and more, to pay for a trumped up road violation, like almost happened to me last time I was there. To those that haven't had any trouble....consider yourself lucky.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, there's that, and the fact that you look a bit like Geraldo Rivera.

:freaky
  3. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, your post is the first of the 5th page:deal

Yeah it is too bad about the "Rob the tourists blind before they even step foot in the country" attitude. Every dollar they take at the border is a dollar not spent in the country. On top of that, lots of people (like the 4 in our group) will pass through the country as fast as possible and spend as little as possible while there because of the border experience.

I guess when you have a military coup less than 2yrs ago, where the President is kidnapped and exiled, then maybe tourism isn't you biggest concern :dunno

Unfortunate all the same.
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    But we ARE the press. Every time we post here, we are reporting. I always tell them that I write for a motorcycle adventure website.

The press-card thing works. For example, a few days ago I was in a tiny Cuango, Panama cantina. There were some really beautiful women. Tall black women. I was the only white guy within fifty miles. They thought I was cute. They flirted with me. I asked them if I could take photos. A minute later, the bar manager was in my face, yelling that I could not take photos without their consent.

I whipped out my little card, with big red letters, "PRESS/PRENSA." I told him that my writing was for adventure tourists who might come to Cuango and get drunk. His attitude changed. I kept taking photos. People started buying me beers.

I'm telling you, a big camera and a professional business card will get you out of an awful lot of trouble. No euphamism implied with the term "big camera." But a real DSLR will get you farther than a cheap point-and-shoot. I really like the helmet-cam idea, too, except that on this last trip, I was driving a landrover defender instead of riding a motorcycle.
  5. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you mean legally removed from office for breaking the constitution.
  6. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    Shooting up his house, arresting him in his pjs and dumping him in Costa Rica :rofl Whether it was legal or not, the result is the same, a disorganized unstable country. Most (including the UN) refused to recognize the new gov't as legit.

However, you are correct, the ousting was totally legal.
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    As a Panamanian I totally agree with this. Sure it caused some temporary instability, and the border is a total PITA, but it is against the law for a sitting president of Honduras to change the constitution and basically become President for Life. The alternative would be... like Venezuela.
  8. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yes, free gas I´m in as a tourist:lol3 I am so looking forward to Venezuela cheap life blood:clap:clap:clap I´m thinking they will have to kick me out of the country.

Honduras was a mofoer of a border crossing to get out, getting in on the Caribbean coast was decievingly simple and peaceful the exit was a royal PITA but it could have been worse, mostly I believe because I don´t speak Spanish worth a damn. I´m taking a boat from Potosi, NIC back to La Union, El Sal just to spite them next go around if I can arrange it:deal

If not I will give them hell with my new found second language skillset:D
    ryker likes this.
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I think when I go back through Honduras I will hire Jose as my helper and see how it goes.
  10. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

When I grow up I want to be just like you Vincent:clap

We still need to meet up down South for beers and stories, I´ll be watching out for you man:deal
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Pics please. :1drink

:lol3 I figure that we trashed the shit out of this kid (for good reason) so I'm willing to give him another chance. If he tries to screw me it will be very bad for his business I think. The last helper I used in Honduras, I took his picture, and told him that if he tried to screw me, his face would be all over the internet. I was through in an hour and change, 5 bucks.

I am moving north amigo. I should be in VZ in about a month I figure. :freaky
  12. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Ahhh, El Amatillo, where western expectations collide with latin american culture. :rofl

I think I posted my experience in the thread already and didn't find the border too troubling, hell, I liked it so much I crossed 2 Honduras borders in one day. :bubba
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm spending half of April in Honduras, I think I'll take the handlers at the border out for dinner :rofl
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    While we're talking about Honduras... I'm not going to say anything about this crash. I'm just putting it here. It is what it is.

From their blog:
    I will keep this brief for now.
    As many of you already know as keen followers of our adventures. Matty was killed whilst riding his bike in Honduras on the 18 January 2011.
    Details of his death are being kept off the pages for now as it is still a very traumatic thing for myself and his entire family to deal with and I would really appreciate keeping details of the accident away from public places. If you wish for more information then I will endeavour to email everyone as soon as is possible given the huge amount of work ahead of us to get Matty home to his family.
    I was riding behind Matty when this occurred. It was a beautiful day and we were having a good time. He was really enjoying the trip and loving Honduras and I feel thankful that his last few weeks and months that I spent were him were very happy times for both of us. I was largely unharmed in the accident and was thankfully able to help the police with the immediate aftermath of the event and now as I help his family deal with the difficult processes ahead.
    I will be travelling with Matty back to Australia, back to Townsville where his family are once arrangements are made.
    Matty will always travel with me forever more and you can be sure that we haven’t finished this trip yet! Watch this space.
    Much love to all our fans
    Ben
  15. ChangoGS

ChangoGS Banned

Oddometer:
    Personally , the process is smoother with a "Tramitador". Usually not one that is toooo pushy or insistive on their services. Besides , it would be better to maybe pay for the service than spend hours and hours delayed at the border....... Up on the northern entrances into Honduras it is
    completely different than this particular crossing.

Time for some jams....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TWUo73eVdg&feature=related
  16. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    I crossed back (north) into Honduras the other day at the Los Manos x-ing. It was pleasant and drama free. An hour (or so) out of Nicaragua and into Honduras.

Honduras is great with wonderful people and some amazing riding. It seems that one border is the exception rather than the rule. Just an FYI.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I crossed at Los Manos going south and they will hold your TVIP for the the return trip north so it only took 15minutes on the way north because the aduana just look up the permit number pull your file and away you go!

In your ride report you state less border hassles if you are alone and I have to agree. Nice central park in Danli eh?
  18. flatmo

flatmo Americano

Oddometer:
    Oh El Amatillo... even the Hondurans are afraid of it.
  19. sjrm1928

sjrm1928 n00b

Oddometer:
    damn that guy ripped me and my buddy off too MF
  20. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just passed down to Panama and back over the last 2.5 months with little spanish and never a " helper" . To me , paying extra to be moved to the head of the line is not the image of "american" I want to project to my fellow crossers . Only got hit for $3 coming out of Honduras into Nicaragua @ El Espino by that fucker with the rope across the road just 50 yds before you get to the real border. Wanted to " hold" my DL until all the paper work was done. Then cost me $3 to get it back. I asked for a "recibo" but none was coming. On the return trip he's the last guy you see so all my paper work was done . I hid myself behind a truck until I was right at the rope , which was down, and then just gassed it over the rope and pass his crooked ass . I could hear him and his co hearts yelling at me as I flipped him off. "And down the road I went".