Avoid This Guy at El Slavador-Honduras Border!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Oct 31, 2008.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll have a beer at the Fall Colors party.
  2. Solohobo

Solohobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Borders are borders. Usually the people that complain have NOT traveled much via land, and then they whine when things cost them. You dont know spanish, and then you want to cross fast, and have someone else do the work, but complain when you pay $75? Umm, do it yourself for $40. Thats service.

Borders are ripe with underhanded money changers and touts, around the world, you have to either ignore them all, or, talk to a few and determine who can get the job done right and agree on a price, write it down, and pay only the fees they need to pay for you at first.

Did you agree to a price prior, that is the key. I tend to look for the older guys that are not trying so hard, they know all the young punks, and usually speak some English...always wear sunglasses when negotiating...
  3. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    When you make such statements as this, you have thrown all riders into the same group. Tread lightly, not everybody fit your group.

I would suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread and check out a few of the people who have posted here. A few of the riders that have posted here have considerable saddle time in Central and South America. They have taken the time to post here, and are giving fair warning to other travelers who have to deal with the fools at the borders. Be a little grateful, I'm sure that you have gained experience and help from this forum.
  4. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    better question is: why reply to a nearly one year old thread as if your reply was pertinent?
  5. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    This may be an older thread, but I bet Jose is still there waiting for riders to arrive. That's what this thread is about. Beware of Jose. Glad to see it bumped for riders going that way.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  6. Bri_Fri

Bri_Fri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jose, Ronnie Garcia, and Ronnie's cousin, Ronnie are indeed still at large. Luckily I read this thread before crossing and was able to avoid them. They did screw another rider from Ukraine before I could warn him.
    I did use the help of a big guy named Dennis. He proved to be very helpful and honest. He also had a good laugh when I told him I saw Ronnie's picture online.

Thanks for the heads up,
    -Brian
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    We met him, shook his hand, told him he was famous and no thanks we did not need his service, we had a chat with him, his bro and with his money changer "mate" that would look after us :rofl, we pulled the piss outa him amidst roars of laughter and stupidity.

I my view, just a guy trying to make money outa people who don't know or refuse to know "the system" which is agreed to be overly heavy.

We not only had no problem with him we had fun with him, his bro and his money charger mates.

Fud for thought.

Buenas noches amigos
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    This thread is from 2008.
  9. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    He was referencing the date from the last post (yours) to Solohobo's. :deal
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    This is one of those thread with the kind of useful information that keeps it current.
  11. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    then maybe MG should stickie it....
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I added it to the stickied Ride Report Link Thread. I had thought I'd done it years ago. Maybe I had, and then undone it. Who knows. I'm pretty sure Lucio's How To Cross Into Honduras is in the RRLT.
  13. Solohobo

Solohobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a drop in tourism in Honduras due to the border crossing? Really, and you base that on what? Plenty of tourist cross the borders in Honduras, and they are usually on a bus, not a bike. Taking a vehicle thru Centro America has its issues.

How about the new Exit TAX Costa Rica that can not be paid in cash, only at bank, that is not even located at border, or the new ATM, that only takes CC's?

Or, the new Onward Travel requirements for Panama? Plenty more tourist are effected and pissed off at these borders, than in Honduras, promise you that.

I am not knocking the posters report or info, its just the fact that is the way things are in Latin America, and some times, you get scammed. You thinks its bad, but have you been to the Cambodia-Thai or Cambodia-Laos borders?

Plenty of stories on about border and issues over the years on the Lonely Planet ThornTree travel forum, for backpackers and independent travelers.
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    We're not having a bitch-fest. Just avoid this one guy. He's been at this border for an awful long time, and he enjoys stealing money. If you see him, tell him to fuck off for me, the Seguin brothers, and everyone else he's stolen from.
  15. BeachGuy

Oddometer:
    I second your thoughts bananaman, this is what this thread is all about. Everybody please tell me if a new asshole is on a some border in Latin America. I'll do the same.
  16. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't get all this whining and bitching about the "helpers" . Everybody knows you don't need them , every border works the same way . It's a PIA , it takes time,most of the paperwork doesn't make any sense , but it is what it is . And there is no way around that , no free shortcut . Bureaucracy sucks and so do borders, all over the world. Some more , some less .

Bottom line , it can easily be done by yourself and most of the riders (even the one that use a "helper") don't get screwed .

"It always takes two to dance tango" :evil
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I have crossed hundreds of borders, and the El Salvador/ Honduras border was the worst. It was over 100 degrees and the lines were Long. Barb and I for about US$25 hired a helper, and then we had an air conditioned lunch. We did not hand our originals to anyone. Our Helper stood in line after line, and occasionally he would send for us so we could present ourselves and our originals. If I had had to stand in line in that heat I would have wilted.

This thread is to inform people about the corruption at this particular border.
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Agreed

Seriously nanaman s thought more of you than that.

After stressing for months I played them/him at their own game, it worked well.

I would suggest to anyone to stay at home if they don't accept what goes on in CA as that is the way in happens, yes needlessly heavy but still the way it is.
  19. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Man, I remember this thread from trip planning way back when.

As a Peru datapoint, when crossing from Copacabana, Bolivia to Puno, Peru, the fat cop at the Peruvian (Peruano) Policia Nacional will try to extort you if you don't have Peru SOAT.

Even if you have multinational seguros. Just be ready to wait it out with t him.

I didn't want to challenge and make it worse, so I got out of there for $15. Felt guilty for knuckling under, but it just wasn't worth my time.

I hope someone reports him to the anti-corruption ministry.
  20. BeachGuy

Oddometer:
    Now this is what this threads all about. Thanks for posting. :clap :clap