Avoid This Guy at El Slavador-Honduras Border!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Oct 31, 2008.

1. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best way to deal with this is to skip El Salvador and thus avoid one of the worlds worst borders going in, and the worst border going out. Dave
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    ...and miss a great country in between, don't let the border stuff ruin a country guys, El Salvador offers so much to those who take the time to see it.

Although there are some horror stories all borders are +/- the same, just allow time and go in early, be patient armed with CORRECT paperwork, it really is pretty easy.

We are Kiwi Gringos with basic Spanish and it works, take your big smile in with you as that opens many doors, a couple of lollies/sweets/candies on offer gets things done too, share them and enjoy.:clap
  3. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support.

Since I slacked on initiating a Smugmug account, and haven't been writing a ride report, I don't have my own place to put my observations.

I just crossed from Peru to Ecuador, yesterday. Well, apparently I took the wrong path (following the GPS, of course). When you cross from El Alamore, Peru toward Zapotillo, Ecuador, they have no computers on either side of the border. So, it takes a long time for the Peruano Migracion to call around on his lonely cell phone to get the answers he needs.

Then, they will tell you there is no system in Zapotillo, and you have to drive across to the next border crossing, in Macara, in a U-shaped loop, becoming three plus hours drive time. The definition of inefficient.

I'm really tempted to forego Migracion and Aduana and just roll with it. I am selling my bike in a week, so not checking in at aduana would help me. Plead ignorant if there are checkpoints?

I'll probably end up doing the correct things, but it is irritating. Hope this helps.
  4. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    If anyone runs into Jose, say "hey! you're the guy from the internet!" and watch all his buddies about piss themselves laughing. :lol3
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I don't see the big deal in paying a helper $10-$20 if you don't want to do it yourself.
    You can just sit by your bike drinking a cold soda an having a snack that is hand delivered to you and let the helpers run around in the heat and do all the work.

If you are on a low budget then do it yourself. Secure your helmet and jacket and other goods and then wander around and get it done.

We used both methods.

Riverside Ronnie will do it for $20. Afterwards you don't need his 'cousin' that entry is so easy and there are kids who will help you for a dollar. Ronnie's cousin will have you stop on the bridge at a phony big fat guy with a phony ID around his neck. This guy is the dangerous one, he'll accuse you of 'touching' him and harming him. Personally my approach was to tell him "go fuck himself".....your methods may vary.

Just don't STOP anywhere except the major office. Don't stop for guys that flag you down. Even a crowd of guys. They intimidate you and unnerve you.
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, Riverside Ronnie will probably do it for US$5. So will everyone else, everywhere.

I'm not opposed to hiring helpers at borders, particularly the irritating Central American ones. But why pay four times the going rate? Five bucks is more than locals pay, and unless you've got real issues to deal with it's enough to attract good service with the helper of your choice.

Mark
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    There you go then. $5. Worth every penny.
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I like the "go fuck yourself" part. I used the "touch me again and I will remove from my pocket the pistol that I have already used to kill many men, and I will kill you. Then I will fuck your wife and your mother." Then Barb said, "what did you just say?" I translated and left out the part about fucking his wife and mother.

I might have also said that I'd drag his body into no-man's land and kill him there, where no government could arrest me.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I also used "I'll stab you in the throat" :lol3

Ronnie's cousin ran away and I only showed him my knife!
  10. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    After doing the double El Salvador to Honduras and Honduras to Nicaragua crossings today I can say that the helper called "Jose" is still very much there. We are not border experts by any means but Jack (my 13 year old son) who speaks Spanish was able to help us through without a hitch. Fixers and money changers were all over us but after many "no neccessito" and stern waving they finally backed off. El Salvador to Honduras took 2.5 hours for 3 of us and 2 bikes and Honduras to Nicaragua was only 2 hours....20 minutes of which was caused by being in the wrong line when I took a shot with leading the expedition. :lol3

I recognized Jose at the border and said to Jack in English, "look, it's the guy from the internet".....he gave nervous grin and disappeared.

A very long day and didn't quite make it to Leon as planned but have really enjoyed the scenery here in Nicaragua as the sun was going down. I'm a sucker for volcanoes.

-Terry