Avoiding interstates? or not?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by UFObuster, Apr 25, 2011.

1. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    If it's a long-ish stretch, I don't mind the freeways at all. I like riding 80mph and I feel safe on freeways out in the countryside. No tractors to pull out in front of me, no rolling roadblocks and no surprises around high-speed corners.

Sometimes (not always!) the best way from A to B is the slab.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    A useful tool to get to where you want to be riding, more quickly, more safely and with less chance of a speeding ticket.

Sure, I avoid them wherever possible when I have all the time in the world, it's a nice day and I want to enjoy the ride. When riding for work, or even just to maximise my time riding somewhere I actually want to be, they're a necessary evil.

In the UK, I've never had a problem doing a shade under a ton, tuck in, maintain perfect lane discipline and keep an eye out for police. In America, it's a bit more of a case of set the cruise control at 60 or 75 (depending on the state) and try not to fall asleep from boredom.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. bikefree

bikefree misadventurer

Oddometer:
    Highways can be even safer if you are lucky enough to go through a town with HOV lanes. Atlanta HOV lanes are sparsely populated and tend to move pretty fast and a lot of the road has decent escape routes.

There is a difference between SS on the boring open road and city driving. Rush hour traffic with cars moving in and out, cell phone users, speed demons, slow old farts and garbage in the road can keep you on your toes. May not be as fun as twisties in the canyons, but there are challenges that you just can't find out on your usual weekend ride on a country road. Combine a fast moving highway commute and an urban assault through town, you can get an interesting ride with lots to think about.
    AllSeasonRider and Traxx like this.
  4. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I enjoy riding the surface streets in the 'burbs. It sharpens one up, and is fun, in a way. Once you get proficient, everything meshes together. It keeps you mentally alert, because you need to continually observe and plan ahead. This is not really for someone listening to music, it's too distracting. But at the end, there's a feeling of accomplishment.
  5. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    In the DFW area, between I35W, I35E, I20, I30 and I45 I stay clear of interstates. The backroads are less crowded, less dangerous drivers and a more relaxed riding experience. Once west of Fort Worth the interstates are usable but in the DFW area, they are flat out dangerous.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    I think of interstates different than freeways, regardless of interstate designation. In a large city they seem very different.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering how one finds a nine year old thread to revive it? The OP has not been seen in six years... must've been abducted.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Resurrection of a 9 year dead thread, ok.

Interstates are a tool.
    Use appropriately.
    Traxx, Boondox, AwDang and 2 others like this.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're still stuck on the interstate! :eekers :jack
    Traxx, AwDang, AllSeasonRider and 2 others like this.
  10. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    If you think interstates are boring, come to California. Dicing it up in traffic and lane splitting is one of the most exciting motorcycle experiences I've had.

On the East Coast, I use interstates if I actually want to get anywhere. There are so few places where you can ride more than 15 miles without running into a town with a stop sign or a traffic light. Hard to keep the 'flow' going. Out West, the secondary roads are less crowded and have fewer towns on them, so you can move along nearly as fast as the interstates in my experience.
    Hamamelis and Traxx like this.
  11. docm26

docm26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let’s not forget the biggest advantage of the interstates- It keeps so many cages off the smaller roads.
    Traxx and markk53 like this.
  12. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And tractor trailers.
    Traxx and docm26 like this.
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    As long as they keep the speed limits up around 70. Back when it was dropped to 55, at least in Ohio, the back road traffic and crashes increased, when it went to 70 the traffic went back to the interstates and some crash increase because more traffic was back there again. All the safetycrats claimed the speed increased accidents, it wasn't the case, increased traffic back on the roads caused the increase, the back roads experienced a decrease.
    Traxx and docm26 like this.
  14. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sometimes like to ride the interstates at night. It's a completely different feeling.
    Traxx, docm26 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  15. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    I just don’t enjoy riding the interstates on a motorcycle but sometimes you have to. I very much prefer the old US Highway and State Highway system and build in the extra travel time so that I can ride the lesser traveled road and enjoy the slower pace and opportunity to see more and meet a few folks, maybe try some local foods.
    It really is, to me, the journey and not the destination.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Interstate has its place. I have limited time and the interstate gets me to the goody goody and home again. Much like the IB, it is a tool that has opened up a significant area of the US to me.
  17. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like corn, stop signs, cross traffic, farm tractors and slow rides through small town then yes you should stay off the interstate.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. markk53

Oddometer:
    They are good at night too when it comes to wildlife. You have a wider range side to side to see any movement. Not so good on back two lane roads.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live near the intersection of I25 and I40. It is nearly impossible to go anywhere without getting on one of them to get out of town. But i really try to get off them as soon as possible.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    We do what we gots to do...
    Traxx likes this.