Avon TrailRider Tire Review

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AustinXL, Mar 21, 2016.

1. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The set of Metzeler Tourances that were on my F650GS twin were getting to the end of their life so I decided to possibly try something new. It was between the Tourances again, or either Anakee 3's or the Avon TrailRiders.

I went with the Avons, which were actually the cheapest when I priced all of them online, and am glad I did so far. I have put about 300 miles on them and I feel they are a better tire than the Tourance. Most of the riding was dry pavement, grip in turns felt great. Did a little gravel riding and probably 40 miles in light rain, no issues at all on wet pavement, they really seem to stick the road well.

I'll update as I put more miles on them, but so far this is my tire of choice. Didn't see a lot of info about them previously so I figured I would write this small review. I may still try the Anakees down the road as well, we'll see.
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am running the new Avon TrailRiders on my Husky motard wheels and love them so far. Great grip and wear so far.
    I just ordered a set for my 19"/17" - 800GS tubeless spoked street wheels to test out and compare to the PR4s that I really love.
    Much easier to have 2 sets of wheels for our 800s and go back and forth depending on ride type.
    I run the Mitas E07 with tubes on the 21/17 wheel set.
    Our bikes are so versatile!:clap
  3. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    If one of. You guys can help my out that would be great. I'm looking for a picture of the contact patch of front tire in a straight line.see the dirt on the rear like this but front tire. I'm trying to decide on these or tkc 70s.

Attached Files:

4. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    I took a few pics, I'll send them to you via PM, not sure if they are exactly what you're looking for.
  5. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    The grooves are quite deep for a 90/10 tire. Here is the 19" front next to the mounted 19" PR4. Groves are nice 3/8" deep and 3/8" wide. Reviews I have read predict 6 to 8 thousand miles on a set. Just have not tried them on the 800 yet.

[​IMG]
  6. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    1000+ mile report - still VERY satisfied with these tires. Outperform the Tourances in every aspect so far. Highly recommend for anyone on the fence!
    firedad415 likes this.
  7. wheelie1000

wheelie1000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone had a chance to try these off road. I know they are only 10% off road. But does that make them feel no good when off road?
  8. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    Only had them on gravel so far (some of it pretty rutty/bumpy), nothing else off road. Handled fine at a decent speed on gravel to me, no issues.
    wheelie1000 likes this.
  9. wheelie1000

Oddometer:
    Thats great news, thanks
  10. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any update on the Trailriders?
  11. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    No complaints on mine, best tires I have run on this bike. Grab the road well, great in the rain, I don't really go off road much but they handle fine on gravel.
    wheelie1000 likes this.
  12. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
  13. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    Bang42 likes this.
  14. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just ordered a set from revzilla to replace my conti trail attacks that had a crack in the side wall with 5k on it GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
  15. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was doing a job for a local distributor and received a front tyre as part payment. Certainly looking forward to trying it, apparently a couple of the local hire firms have moved over to them and report superb wet grip and remarkably long life.
    wheelie1000 likes this.
  16. blackbullit

blackbullit n00b

Oddometer:
    DSCF4970.jpg DSCF4970.jpg
    I currently own a 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure. I took a bit of a different route in replacing mt tires and went with the Avon Trailrider up front and the Conti TKC 70 on the rear. I found the stock Trail Attack II tires to do extremely well on the dry and wet pavement, but were pretty much useless on anything that didn't resemble a paved surface, even when they are aired down. I am by no means a hardcore off-road rider, but I do like to take by bike down the odd gravel road, dirt packed road or fire road to get to some of my favorite fishing spots. As a lot of my riding is on pavement, I did not want to give up the street performance and quiet ride by switching to a more knobby off road based tire like the TKC 80. I have currently put about 1000 km on these tires and am thoroughly pleased with this combination! The Avon And Conti perform fantastic on the dry pavement and in the rain (I've been through some nasty Alberta thunderstorms, if your ridden through the Canadian prairies, you know what I'm talking about!) with no issues or butt-pucker moments at all. You can really get into corners with the utmost confidence. I have taken them off road for about 200 km and could not believe the difference between these tires and my old Conti's! I could ride with confidence and control the bike better than ever. By no means are these a true off road tire and did experience some difficulty on one stretch of heavier mud, but I was still able to navigate through the mud slowly but carefully. There would have been now way my old Trail Attack II's would have made it without me dumping the bike a few times. The tires really shine on hard pack dirt and back roads. They tend to slide a little on heavy gravel, but it is to be expected and it is predictable and controllable. I am now using my bike for more of what was designed to do and not just a glorified touring bike. The tires need about a 300 km break in period as they were a little squirrely on the first few rides. Once scrubbed in, they worked admirably. I have no idea of the wear I will get, but after 1000km, the front still looks brand new and the rear has negligible wear. So far I'm quite happy with my choice, but we'll see what type of wear I get out of them. DSCF4974.jpg

Attached Files:

jjjjjjay likes this.
  17. wheelie1000

Oddometer:
    I put 2 new Avon Trail Riders on my Bonneville for my cross Canada trip.

I've used them mainly on highway in both dry and very wet conditions with a pretty heavy load strapped to the back. I'm replacing the back tyre tomorrow after just over 10,000km in 6 weeks.

The front tyre is showing very little wear.

The fact I'm replacing it with the same tyre shows that I rate it.
  18. Big Derek

Big Derek Big D

Oddometer:
    How are the Avon’s doing now ?
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  19. Gripsteruser

Gripsteruser Got a handle on it

Oddometer:
    I put Trail Riders on my 1988 R100GS prior to a 2400 mile trip to/from Montana where I took long stretches of gravel roads. They worked nicely. I'm not much of a tire tester but I never had any bad moments with the TRs. And I was riding gravel roads where I wouldn't see another person for hours. I'd used Gripsters up to this set of tires (minus the OEM Saharas) - hence my screen name.
  20. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Rear after 5500km, front still looks Brand new