Avon TrailRider Tire Review

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AustinXL, Mar 21, 2016.

1. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has been a while since this post, but just wanted to say thanks, as this is the exact combo I'm considering. Trailrider on the front and TKC70 on rear.
  2. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have pictures of other tires you rode on after a similar distances?
    At 5500km the center looks pretty low compared to the sides and I can't tell if it's the tire or the riding you do that bring that on without a reference.
    Would appreciate it, as I was interested in the tire.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Gripsteruser

Gripsteruser Got a handle on it

Oddometer:
    I have about 6,000 mi on my set now. The rear has a harder compound down the center which is also lighter in color than the sides. Since I ride curvy roads I actually have the sides worn down such that there is a definite ridge where the sides meet the harder center on the rear. I'll probably replace them before next summer but I still have pretty fair tread both front and rear. They've made a good replacement for Gripsters for me.
  4. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't find any pictures of older tires i have used. But i will start to take before/after pictures of all my tires from now on... nice to see and compare
    morfic likes this.
  5. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:
    Really liked mine on NC700X, riding a lot of gritty pavement, vacillating between hot, and wet and cool/cold. The tires did fine on hardpack and gravel, and rock/hardpack mixes when mostly dry (not mud). Liked the handling and turn-in and road feel. Got 9000 miles on the rear before a puncture said it was time to limp home and get a new rear. I probably could have gotten 1 or 2K more out of it without any worries. No unusual/uneven wear patterns. Still running the front at nearly 19,000 miles and still tread to go and smooth on the pavement.

Running a Pilot Road 4 on back which will probably beat 10,000 miles but doesn't handle as well for my preferences as the Trailrider rear did... It's likely I'll try the Road 5 rear next, or go with the TrailRider again. It seems to suit Montana Rockies well, with the frost upheavals and slumps and potholes and tar snakes – and sand and gravel "winterizing" that sticks around until June in many spots, and almost always gritty surfaces on the pavement. And even if you don't look for the end of pavement especially, it seems unavoidable that you'll be riding gravel/hardpack connector roads if you want to get around much.
  6. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had just over 5,500 miles on the rear before replacement on a Suzuki DL650 replacing with the same. Front still looks new after the same mileage. Great tire in the twisties and quiet. Dirt and gravel has been good as well, best mostly road oriented ADV tire I’ve tried. Do wish the rear was a title more durable though.
  7. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Avon Trailrider is the stock tire on the KTM 790 Adv S. Have about 4,500 miles so far. About 500 in the dirt. That puts me where the tire is rated 90/10. No complaints. The Metzller Tourace was fine with pavment on my 650GS but was more slippery/unpredictable in the dirt that wasn`t fairly flat.
    I wont say this is on par with the E07 front K60 rear I had as my go to combo on the GS, but like I said, no complaints. The hardest dirt section I've covered so far with tha Avon Trailrider was on the CDT decent in N.M. from Silver creek divide down to hwy 180 on Bursum Rd. That was mostly lose gravel about 5,000' in 12 miles. No problems, but I attribute that more to the great ABS and balance of the bike than to the tires. Having said that I'll add that if the ABS activated I didnt notice, the tires were not a problem. In the twisties they are great, and there are lots of twisty fast roads in Co, Az, N.M.
    In about 3 weeks I'll try them on the CoBDR. If it gets wet or squirrly I'll probably turn around. It important to be willing to turn around.
    View attachment 1861036 View attachment 1861038
  8. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    Have 7,500 miles on a Trailrider rear and it needs to be replaced NOW. The front looks like it will go at least another 3,000 maybe more. Their on a Suzuki V-Strom 650. The main reason I'm posting here is to say these are the best Adventure bike tires I have ever had in the rain. That includes 2 V-Stroms, 1 BMW and 1 Triumph. If you ride often on wet roads you might want to give these even more consideration.

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/trailrider?cartype=motorcycle

……………………………….
    ibgary likes this.
  9. BioStrom

Oddometer:
    After running through 2 rear Avon Trailriders and one front over 10,000 miles of use on a 2012 Suzuki DL 650, I feel like I have some insight into this tire. First, I would state as others have the the front will last through two rears or about 11 to 12k miles, even under hard use such as an extended trip through the twistiest roads in SW Virginia/Kentucky/NC and high speed interstate travel to get there. The stickiest Adventure tire dry or wet that I have used in 20 years of riding.

As far as off road abilities, I had my doubts, so on a recent 2,000 mile trip around Colorado that included hundreds of miles of dirt/gravel roads and off road trails, I took a chance and switched to the new Michelin Anakee Adventure tires while my riding partner stayed with the Trailriders. Mistake. I regretted the decision not far into the first paved Rocky mountain pass as the Michelins were just not as confidence inspiring and actually had a slight squirm at higher lean angles, not something I ever encountered with Trailriders. To make matters worse, they had no advantage off road on the silty rocky trails or the hard packed and gravel roads we traversed. They may have had an advantage in slightly muddy conditions but the weather remained dry throughout the trip. The Michelin’s seem to be wearing like steel, so I will have to put up with them for a long time - or I may just sell them.

Regardless, the Trailriders are best suited for my style of riding and conditions I normally encounter so I will be switching back. One caveat, be especially careful of painted lines in the wet with Trailriders, they can give quite a startle when they slip.
  10. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Painted lines don't provide good traction for any tire, especially when wet. Watch out for manhole covers too.
  11. BioStrom

Oddometer:
    That’s for certain, but the Avon’s are particularly susceptible. Interestingly when I first experienced this during a downpour switching lanes on an interstate, it jogged a memory of an experienced sport rider and old friend that once warned me of this association years before.