Avon TrekRider

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BordenBmw, Dec 16, 2016.

1. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    This I want to see! Sounds like a huge expense for next to no benefit? Please share your thoughts?
  2. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better wheels anyway...much larger tire selection..there's nothing different about the bike; forks, fenders or swingarm that prevents it..

It's a "standard" thing for Woodys...many folks do it, especially if riding off road, taller sidewall in old tire..
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  3. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    I grew up riding off-road (competed in enduro and motocross) and have no issues riding dirt and gravel roads on any bike up to and including 'Murrican V-Twins, but I hate tubes. The pro/con of any of the GS style bikes being "real" dirt bikes is a separate and personal issue, but it would seem BMW could easily offer better/heavier duty versions of the current tubeless offerings with a couple popular size options. The KTM guys are often having issues with their rims too and give up tubeless for Woody's et al custom builds.

Anyways, Bill-66 if you get something made I would enjoy seeing your finished project.

Cheers
  4. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mounted up a fresh set of Avon TrekRiders this past weekend. Then went for a 225 mile scrub ride.
    Initial impressions were very positive: This 50/50 tire handles like an 80/20 on the pavement. Offroad on loose packed gravel/dirt and in shallow mud, the tires had very decent grip. These may be my new favorite tires, depending on overall durability and mileage. :ricky

[​IMG]
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks familiar. :-)

By the way, these go on pretty easily, and the front "twice" as easily, especially the second time! :baldy
  6. motocentric

motocentric Dame that Don't Care

Oddometer:
    Hey Nomad - thanks for the information! Any chance you've gotten to ride these in the rain yet? Waiting for that review with bated breath, I really want to buy these! But I'm NOT doing another 50/50 that slides (on tarmac) when you even just spit on it....

7. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Avon has been in the tire business a long while. Why don't they build this 50/50 tire in sizes that fit the newer BMW & KTM Adventure bikes?
  8. SloDon

SloDon Hey...where am I?

Oddometer:

I sent them an email asking just that.

No reply yet.

Maybe if more people asked........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RunninRanger likes this.
  9. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody's are tubeless...regardless of having the spokes down the center...I have them on my current '08...they leak, NADA...
    bobw likes this.
  10. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode my GS1200 on wet pavement, with a light mist coming down this morning. The TrekRiders gripped well. No slips/slides under moderate power.
    RunninRanger, ephilbe and Houseelf like this.
  11. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  12. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tractor style tire pattern should move water well.
  13. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Can you post a pic of the front. I wonder if it looks the same as the 90/90 21, thanks
  14. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BordenBmw likes this.
  15. ephilbe

ephilbe Wookin' pa nub

Oddometer:
    Finally! An opinion from someone with practical experience. Thank you! I have been looking closely at these since they came on the scene as an alternative to TKC80/E07/Anakee Wild/Karoo 3 for my Capo. Ready to loose the Anakee 2's on it currently, but they just don't seem wear out. :hmmmmmHave good experience (2500+ mi) with the TrailRiders on my 690 SM, a large part of those doing medium knarly fire road duty and was truly impressed. Not to mention how they stick like glue on pavement.
    bobw and ErikMotoMan like this.
  16. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TrekRider Wear Update: Currently 3,500 miles on a set mounted onto a GS1200.
    70/30 usage over the past month. Very decent road/dirt grip on all surfaces.
    Front tire is wearing faster than the rear, but still has a decent amount of tread left (~40%).
    Rear tire is wearing evenly and has a good deal of tread left (~50%).

:ricky Found my tire!

Front:
    [​IMG]
    Rear:
    [​IMG]
    Capo Rick, bobw, ErikMotoMan and 2 others like this.
  17. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it seems the general verdict is pretty positive on these then?

I really want to replace the A3's on my 2009 GSA due to the horrible road noise. They are a great road tire but I would not trust them much off road (which admittedly I don't do a lot of).

I need to start saving up for a set of tires and do really like the pattern of these tires. They seem to offer a pretty good on/off road tread (I have no need for full knobbies).
  18. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I just installed my set last weeked. Early days - 300+ kilometres in mixed terrain but they are great so far. I was quite surprised to see how they handled on the road - very linear and smooth turn in. I'm encouraged by early report of mileage from y'all. I head out in two weeks across Canada so I'll report back on how they do in the long-term. I really like this tire - it doesn't seem to compromise much for a 50/50.
    Capo Rick and RunninRanger like this.
  19. RsZk

RsZk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are they coming out with 170 series tires to fit the watercooled GS and newer KTM's?
  20. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How noisy are they?